Vomiting and 278 reading

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Wonton123, Apr 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wonton123

Wonton123 New Member

Hi everyone, Wonton has been OTJ for 2 yrs with avg readings of 70. The vet put her on Canin Royal dry food because she had very bad constipation and was backed up pretty bad. She gave her an enigma also. Now 2 weeks later Wonton can't eat or drink without throwing up. Her reading at 6:15pm was 256 and now it's 278 8 hrs later. She woke me up vomiting foam. I don't know what to try and feed her. I'm trying to avoid an emergency vet visit. Should I call for a new Lantus prescription and give her the dose she had before? ? I'm really worried about her. She's vomiting again foam as there's nothing in her stomach.

2. Wonton123

Wonton123 New Member

Typo..the vet gave her an enima ..my kindle changes words it think I want to type, lol....

3. Wonton123

Wonton123 New Member

I still have a bottle of used Lantus in my frig but it's 2 yrs old so I assume it's no good right??

4. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to hear your kitty is feeling so bad.

I would not give insulin to a kitty that is not eating.
    particularly if kitty has been off insulin for several years.

She needs to see a competent vet sooner rather than later. the reason why food is not passing through her system needs to be correctly diagnosed and treated.

IMHO , although her BG is up a bit it is secondary and will likely resolve once the vomiting is treated .

Also I would not give a diabetic kitty dry food of any kind. Do you have any canned food?

5. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

I agree with Sandy....Wonton absolutely needs to see a vet to determine why she is vomiting and not eating, and you do not want to give her insulin while she is in this condition. She could have pancreatitis or a blockage or kidney issues, just to name a few - especially since this has been going on for a few weeks now.

It is possible/probable that the dry non-diabetic-friendly food has thrown her out of remission, or her BGs are high because she's not well, or both...but, as Sandy said, you have to find and treat the root of the problem first.

If she needs to go back on insulin, yes, you will definitely need new insulin.

Please keep us posted!!

6. Wonton123

Wonton123 New Member

Thank you for your help!! I will take her to the vet as soon as I can and keep you posted.

7. Wonton123

Wonton123 New Member

Wonton is doing much better this morning. Her reading came down to 56, her usual readings are around 70, so much better than 278 that she was early in the AM. She drank a good amount of water and ate some canned fancy feast and sleeping comfortably now. She definitely won't be eating the dry food the vet suggested her constipation. I'll have to find another remedy. Miramax doesn't seem to be strong enough but will research more and make a vet appt at a different clinic. So I'm home from work today checking on her and giving many kisses and snuggles. Thank you my FD friends.

8. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

This website may give you some ideas, but definitely do get her in to a much more knowledgeable vet, too.

Feline Constipation

9. Tara & Buster

Tara & Buster Well-Known Member

Amy beat me to it! Some folks use coconut oil for constipation. I imagine the vet was thinking the dry food would add some fiber to the diet? Cats have a shorter digestive system than dogs or humans, so they don't process fiber in the same way. Dry food really is a bad idea. In fact, you could consider adding some water to the canned food to help Wonton stay good and hydrated. Glad the BG numbers came back down. I hope you can find something that works for Wonton.

10. Tina & Rocky

Tina & Rocky Well-Known Member

Poor Wonton! Glad you're not going to feed her that dry food. I hope you can figure out what is causing her to be constipated. What brand name and flavor of food was she eating for the month before she became constipated? :roll:

11. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

our vet suggested adding oat or wheat bran to punkin's food. i bought some oat bran in bulk for just a few cents to try it out. you might give it a try. you start very small - i want to say 1/4 teaspoon, but i don't remember exactly. i do know that it's safe for diabetic cats.

i'm so glad Wonton is doing better tonight.

You can probably take the 911 off now. I hope she continues to improve! Good job checking the BGs when you got suspicious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.