Vomiting Civvie question

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Supurrkitten, Oct 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Supurrkitten

Supurrkitten Member

So my Fergus cat's civ Diego is vomiting. Fergus is still okay diabetes wise. Diego has had vomiting on and off and last episode needed special dry food to calm his stomach. That time we waited too long and he got blood work and fluids. We are totally broke right now. I called the vet and they will get us the I/D cat food which my husband will pick up on way home. I am hoping this helps and we can avoid the vet right now.

I though Diego had been given Cerenia last time. I guess that was Fergus. Diego got a shot. So the vet would not prescribe it to Diego over the phone. Am I a horrible cat mom to have found Fergs bottle and given Diego a dose? He vomited all over the house. ALL OVER. He was nauseous and smacking his lips. I picked up all the food and went to bed after work. I slept from 10a-3p. Around 3:30 Diego vomited foamy. I call vet then. I gave him the pill and put him in the bathroom to chill. HE HATES Being pilled. Like tried to kill me. I gave him a little water via syringe since the Cerenia caused drooling.

Any advice? I am gonna try baby food chicken, I guess. Diego has never been a fan of the wet food I switched everyone to when Ferg got diabetes. I guess, we will have to give Diego meals of dry separately. I am concerned because he got soooo fat last time he was on this. the wet slimmed him down. He just has occasional vomiting but now it is all the time.

Sorry for the ramble. I am just needing advice.

2. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

The foamy seems like acidic stomach vs. nausea which the cerenia is for. (BTW - if you get some pill capsules - put the cerenia in to administer. Way easy! Size 3 or 4 capsules.)

It can be a food allergy or a sensitive tummy as well. How long ago was that blood work? How was his pancreas at that time? Any other notable items on the BW?

3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

It could be pancreatitis. I would have given the cerenia too. Did you ask what was in the shot Diego got? The foam is from tasting the pill. I too use gel caps. I hope the cerenia helps but even if it does it’s only good for 24 hours. :bighug:

4. Teresa & Buddy

Teresa & Buddy Well-Known Member

I know when Buddy is nauseous, he will not eat canned food, only dry. I would have done exactly what you did, Cerenia is for throwing up. This could be a pancreatitis flare, if I had cerenia and he was throwing up, I would give it to him.

5. Supurrkitten

Supurrkitten Member

Still not eating. Seemed in discomfort when I picked him up. Going to call vetin morning.

My anxiety/cat mom mind woke me up. I was worried he'd be laying somewhere dead. Overreacting I know, just a bad vibe. After he chilled in the bathroom a while last night there was clear light pink vomit.

None since. Just a mutt when I picked him up. Refused dry and baby food chicken.

Hoping he perks up.

Wondering if he ate something he shouldn't have.

6. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

I agree that it sounds like a pancreatitis flare, but the pink vomit concerns me. It could also be the IBS. I'm glad you're going to call the vet. Have you tried applying for Care Credit to help you get through the tough financial times?

Please update us on how he's doing tomorrow. We care about the civvies, too. :bighug:

tiffmaxee likes this.
  7. Teresa & Buddy

Teresa & Buddy Well-Known Member

I agree with Tricia. It is possible that it could be IBD, or maybe pancreatitis. A real problem is a cat that has not ate anything for a while, they could get a fatty liver. Have you tried force feeding him. You would need to put his food in a blender and thin it down so you could syringe feed him and also give him water that way. Sometimes when a cat is not eating if you can get some food down them they will start eating. I hate to admit all the times I have force feed a cat. If I can help in any way please let me know. I am going to get a copy of 1 of Buddy's pictures today to mail to you.

tiffmaxee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.