? Vomiting, high BG

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Squalliesmom, Oct 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Squallie woke me up around 6:00 AM vomiting, first a thick brown liquid, followed by clear liquid/mucus/foam. He vomited repeatedly until a little before 7 AM, maybe 7-8 times. He peed and pooped, didn't seem to have any issues in that regard. I could tell he didn't feel well, kept licking his lips and at one point lay down in a clean litter pan, no idea what that was all about. He is now eating breakfast quite happily, I hope it stays down.

After the first time he vomited, I checked his BG and it was 258. When I checked it again for AMPS it was 517! Could the bout of vomiting have caused it to rise so high? I checked him for ketones, also, and it was negative.

ETA: I also don't know whether to give him the 0.5 I have been giving for a while, or whether to increase it a little this morning, maybe 0.75?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  2. SpecklesandMe

SpecklesandMe Member

My vet acts like any time they feel bad, whether vomiting, diarrhea, or just stress, the BG could go way up a result. Hang in there!
    Do you know if he could've gotten into something he wasn't supposed to have? (Several years ago my civvie took off with a pork rib! Picked it up off the table, jumped down, and ran like crazy. lol)

Brashworks, Robin&BB and Squalliesmom like this.
  3. Squalliesmom

All the rest of my cats would definitely do something like that, lol, but Squallie not so much. He's never been much of a "people food" eater, and he doesn't eat weird stuff, like Candy, thank heavens. Of course, my first thought was salmonella, since I feed Instinct raw as part of their diet, but I don't really think that was it. His ears feel a little warm now, so possible low-grade fever, but they weren't warm earlier when he was vomiting. I really don't know what brought it on, guess I'll just keep a close eye on him and see how he makes out today.

Any ideas as to whether I should give him his usual .5, or raise it to .75 for his AM dose?

4. SpecklesandMe

SpecklesandMe Member

Sorry I didn't see your question on time! I would have been useless on this anyway since I try not to comment on dosing questions, given that I only had a diabetic for a few months, unfortunately. What did you end up doing?

Squalliesmom likes this.
  5. Robin&BB

Robin&BB Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about Squallie's tummy upset:(, Lucy. How's he doing now??? (Did you end up dosing or did you have to skip?)

Squalliesmom likes this.
  6. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Wondering if he might be constipated, so stuff isn't moving through.
    Feline Constipation is a good reference site to do some reading, even if it isn't constipation..

Robin&BB and Squalliesmom like this.
  7. Squalliesmom

He ate breakfast , like usual, and kept it down okay, but I still only gave him 0.5U today. Of course, his BG has been high all day, but maybe we'll get past the bounce.

SpecklesandMe and Robin&BB like this.
  8. Squalliesmom

He ate fine and everything stayed down so I gave him his usual dose, even though his BG was so high. I didn't want to risk having him do one of his steep drops today. So he's been in high #s all day, but maybe we'll get past the recent bouncing, anyway.

Robin&BB likes this.
  9. Squalliesmom

Thank you for the link! Constipation was one of my first thoughts, but I watched him use the litterbox and everything seemed okay. But it's good information to have, regardless.

10. Robin&BB

I think that was a smart decision! The stress from all that vomiting earlier can spike his # ... things will probably settle down again as he starts feeling better. (Sounds like he may already be feeling some better, since he managed to keep his breakfast down.):bighug:

Squalliesmom likes this.
  11. Squalliesmom

Lunch, too, at this point. I have to be away for a while this evening , though, and I'm afraid I'll be too late for his PM shot, so he may have to miss it. I hope not, I don't want to screw up the routine any more than it has been already!

12. Robin&BB

Oh, I know what you mean, Lucy! I'm in the midst of shifting Bat's dosing schedule (back an hour) because I must leave for a 4-hr RT to the airport at the end of the week - right at her normal pm dose time. As she's been know to "scarf & barf" (always has happened right after the shot, of course:rolleyes:), I just don't like taking the chance of it happening when I can't be here to monitor. (In retrospect, I probably should have just said to myself, "Aw, heck - she can just skip that one ..." :facepalm: )

Squalliesmom likes this.
  13. granadilla

granadilla Well-Known Member

Yuck, sorry to hear SquallieBear wasn't feeling well this morning. Hopefully it was just an upset stomach for no reason. Glad to hear he kept down his breakfast and lunch. A day of being high isn't ideal but it's not the end of the world. Better to be too high than the opposite!

Squalliesmom likes this.
  14. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

There can be a partial obstruction.
    If this goes on more than a day or so, a vet visit may be needed due to dehydration risks, plus electrolyte (mineral) imbalances that may happen.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  15. Robin&BB

Lucy, so did his pooping seem ok today ... or has he not pooped?

Squalliesmom likes this.
  16. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Or has it been liquidy poop? That can indicate partial obstruction, too.
    Is he dehydrated? See my Secondary Monitoring Tools in my signature.

17. Walker's Mom

Walker's Mom Member

Sorry to hear Squallie is not feeling well today. I know that is unsettling. My Walker did the exact same thing a few days ago. It was also a thick brown liquid. That morning his bg was over 700. The vet said it could have been the high numbers that made him sick to his stomach. He has been eating fine since then. His #s have been bouncing high and low. As you know I am new to this. Just thought I would pass on in case it might be helpful. Hugs to you and Squallie. :bighug:

18. Brashworks

Brashworks Member

Hey Lucy, just checking in on Squallie. How's he doing now?

19. Robin&BB

Yes! How's he doing now? (Do you hear an echo in here?:D)

Brashworks and Squalliesmom like this.
  20. Squalliesmom

Thanks, everybody! :):):) Sorry, I was away almost all afternoon/evening yesterday! He seems fine today, except for high BG. No tummy issues. I did monitor him for dehydration yesterday and added extra water to his food. He was/is pooping just fine, no constipation or diarrhea, but I noticed yesterday he was peeing huge lakes at a time.

His BG has been a lot higher for several days now, and unfortunately he missed his dose last night as I was away from home and my younger son didn't feel confident enough with the process to give him his shot. He was high again this AM, no surprise, so I increased his dose to a little over 0.75, and it seemed like it barely had any effect at all. I don't know what's going on with him, nothing in his world has changed except that I started a new bottle of insulin on Oct. 3rd. Oh, and I opened a new case of FF, but it's the same stuff he always gets. Other than the vomiting yesterday AM he seems fine, happy, playing, no signs of any sort of distress. So I'll just keep increasing his dose, I guess, till I can get his BG down again, but I'm afraid that he'll bottom out suddenly and go hypo. Huh, never a dull moment, right?!?

Walker's Mom likes this.
  21. Robin&BB

Just a thought, Lucy: That little bump-up in dose you did this morning was fine. However, you might want to give it another couple of cycles, just to see where he goes on that little increase before trying another. The reason I say this is that it could just be that his little body is still recovering a bit from that bout of vomiting yesterday ... And did you notice that - even though he missed his p.m. dose last night - his AMPS was actually lower than the previous PMPS? Interesting! So maybe try just holding that same dose tonight, unless his PMPS indicates you need to drop it down just a fuzz? In any event, I have little doubt that you plan to get in a mid-cycle test tonight.;)

P.S. So glad to hear that Squallie's pooping normally for you; we all love good pooping around here!:D

granadilla and Squalliesmom like this.
  22. Squalliesmom

Thanks, Robin, that's pretty much what I was thinking, too, frustrating as it is, lol. I don't want to increase his dose too much, too fast, because I'm afraid he'll "bottom out" on me and go hypo. But, boy, I hate seeing these high numbers! We got spoiled, I guess, by the couple of weeks of lovely lows that we had. :(

Robin&BB likes this.
  23. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hey Lucy, hope that Squallie will be as good as new ASAP. With our little bout of diarrhea and vomiting, Bubba spiked his first black a 582. The tummy pain he experienced no doubt contributed. It is amazing that vomiting and or diarrhea can cause such an upset in the BG levels. Keep us posted and fingers and paws crossed.

24. Squalliesmom

Thanks, Bobbie. :)Hope Bubba feels better soon, too!:bighug:

25. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hey, Lucy,is it possible he got a "bad" house mouse? The reason I ask is because Bubba often throws up his mouse meal, and it's always dark brown, yuck........just a thought.

26. Squalliesmom

Thanks for the thought! It's possible, but not probable. I don't think the mice have come in yet (although I could be wrong), and Squallie is usually not a mouser, he leaves that type of menial work to his underlings, lol.

The only time, in 16 years, that I have ever seen him catch a mouse was when Khoji was little; Khoji was trying to catch one and couldn't, so Squallie caught it and gave it to him. I was completely astounded by that!

ETA: It was really an awesome thing to see, he brought it over to Khoji and laid it right at his feet.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.