Vomiting pre-am shot

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by pevsfreedom, Jul 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pevsfreedom

pevsfreedom Well-Known Member

I think Luna ate something weird yesterday because she's had diarrhea and been throwing up all morning. She's supposed to eat and be given her 9 units in an hour but the vomiting concerns me. She's acting really lethargic and won't meow / move around much. Is there anything I should do / can do for nausea in this case? Should I feed/test as normal? Or perhaps halve her breakfast and shot?

2. Cara and Wynken (GA)

Cara and Wynken (GA) Member

Do you have any Cerenia or ondansetron (Zofran) on hand? Those are the anti nausea meds that I know of.... Healing vines to Luna!

3. pevsfreedom

No unfortunately I do not. Thanks.

4. Cara and Wynken (GA)

I wish I had an idea of how to advise on the feeding and dose, but I don't. Hopefully someone who does will advise soon. May depend on what the pre shot reading is...

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
  5. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

I hope that she starts to feel better ASAP. If you do not have access to the above meds that Cara mentioned you can give 1/4 tablet of the pepid generic or famatadine. It will help with the nausea.

Has Luna ever had an IBS flair up before? We just went through this with Bubba. He had diarrhea and vomiting for a few days and off his feed. He had to get Sub Q fluids twice to keep him hydrated. If Luna vacillates between constipation and diarrhea, this could be an irritable bowel issue. Try bland foods like poached chicken and tuna, push lots of water. I am not sure I would give the full dose if she is not eating well for you.

I hope others will weigh in.

Cara and Wynken (GA) likes this.
  6. Bobbie And Bubba

It might be worth a vet visit to rule out pancreatitis .

ETA: with a ketone history, getting some insulin in is a good idea, I just don't know how much to advice. Let's see if some more experienced people will weigh in.

7. pevsfreedom

Thank you. She was at 89 about an hour and a half ago which is good.

8. pevsfreedom

Well today's the only time this has ever happened so I'm hoping it's just acute nausea or something. She seems better but I'm still worried regarding the dose/food situation.

What are/where can I get pepid generic or famatadine.

9. Cara and Wynken (GA)

Good thought, Bobbie. If the nausea is due to stomach acid famotidine will help. Make sure it is the 10 mg tab and not the 20mg tab. Brand name Pepcid or generic famotidine 10 mg, with 1/4 tab being the right dose, every 12 hours.

ETA: can get at any pharmacy, over the counter.

10. pevsfreedom

so 2.5 mg Pepcid if I'm not mistaken will help nausea? She's easy to pill, well, usually. Thanks everyone I'll go grab some fast.

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  11. Bobbie And Bubba

Yes, 2.5 or 1/4 tab of 10 mg. pill. Thanks @Cara and Wynken for clarifying the dose, I did not know there was a 20 mg size

12. Cara and Wynken (GA)

Yes. 2.5 mg can help an upset tummy. It can be bitter once cut into quarters. I would not hesitate to give the "largest" quarter (they never split evenly!) to start. May need to hide in a tiny chunk or dab of wet food. It is safe to give. I have given it to cats with liver issues and kidney failure and it can help.

13. Bobbie And Bubba

Buy the famotidine in the drug store. Most drug stores have their own brand generic which is cheaper than the Pepcid.

14. pevsfreedom

Will do. Her shot time is in 30 minutes. Still not sure how to proceed. Thinking I'll see how well she eats and wait 10-20 mins after to shoot.

15. Bobbie And Bubba

Did you see my post above about the ketone history? How long has it been since she had ketones? It's best to get some insulin in her since she has had ketones, just how much, I am not sure..........

16. Bobbie And Bubba

@Jill & Alex (GA) , if you are around could you help advise with Luna, vomiting and diarrhea, not eating, and has had ketones in the past.

17. pevsfreedom

It's been over a year since she's had ketones. She won't eat. Can't get her to down this pill either. She's definitely not feeling good. She's wobbling around all weird but I think it's just cause her butt's all wet from my wife cleaning her.

Right now is her shot time.. won't eat. Think I might skip AM shot.

18. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Just popped in for a minute and saw this...

Honestly, given the circumstances described above, I'd be less worried about an insulin dose than about what she may have eaten. I'd be on my way to the vet to have her checked out.

Just my opinion...

mariko and Bobbie And Bubba like this.
  19. pevsfreedom

I think it was bad lunch meat.

20. pevsfreedom

Finally got her to eat the pill and some food. Had to spoon feed her.

21. pevsfreedom

She went from 89 to 228 in about an hour and a half with no food. Hmm. I think I'll give her just over half her dose for today.

22. Kathy and TiTi

Kathy and TiTi Well-Known Member

Has your vet got saturday hours? If so, might be a good idea. Just saying.

23. Jill & Alex (GA)

Then vomiting may be a good thing...

I don't know what to suggest other than what I would do in your shoes. If I suspected she ingested something bad, but didn't know for sure what it was, I'd take her in to have her checked.

Sometimes discouraging a cat from vomiting may not be best in a situation like this. There's no way of knowing... hence the suggestion to have her checked out by a professional.

There's no way to pinpoint the rapid increase in blood glucose... in my mind, another reason to have her checked out.

Again, just my opinion...

24. pevsfreedom

I'm assuming that's just from stress as I was trying to shove the pill down her throat for 15 minutes. Wasn't very graceful but she's being stubborn. She's eating all her food right now. I'd love to take her to the vet but he's closed Saturday and I don't have $200 for a new visit consult at some new place.. if she's still like this in a day or two I'll be more concerned I think but for right now maybe she just is sick to her stomach. In 2 years since I've had her she's never not eaten though she is wolfing it down right now thankfully.

25. Cara and Wynken (GA)

I hope that the Pepcid helps. If it's an acid tummy, it should. But given the fact that she has diarrhea, the nausea might not be related to acid tummy at all. Hope fully it will be like one of us when we have food poisoning. And she'll be back to her self tomorrow.

But I agree with others that if you see her condition worsened you should probably take her to the vet, if you can.

26. Jill & Alex (GA)

It's your decision.
    In any case, I hope she feels better soon.
    Good luck!

27. pevsfreedom

Anyone have advice regarding insulin before I shoot? She's usually on 9 units and her final food tally is about 1/4 of what it usually is.

28. Bobbie And Bubba

I don't know how to guide you on that , Bump

29. pevsfreedom

I'll just go to the vet. Wish me luck.

30. Cara and Wynken (GA)

31. Jill & Alex (GA)

I'm not comfortable suggesting an insulin dose without knowing what she ingested because there's no way of knowing if she's on the way to feeling better or will get worse. KWIM?

No doubt. We all do. :)

Good luck! I hope she'll feel better soon!

32. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Good luck at the vet visit.

33. Bobbie And Bubba

Good call to go have her checked out.

34. Kathy and TiTi

Luck wishes on the way. Good decision.

35. pevsfreedom

Well $700 later she's getting a bunch of meds, fluids, x-rays, and blood tests. I'll get to pick her back up in 3 hours.

36. pevsfreedom

Should mention she's lost 2 lbs in a month.

37. Kathy and TiTi

EEEEEEK!!!!! that's a ton of money. Sorry for your busted budget.
    But it sounds better than losing her.
    2 pounds in a short time is a red flag. Any ideas yet on what ails her?
    Is she a snowshoes kitty?

38. pevsfreedom

Yeah I wasn't expecting that. I can afford it for now, just not any extra OK Luna?

I usually weigh her every Sunday though haven't the past month.. not sure why. We were on vacation for 2 weeks and I guess I just fell out of that routine or else I'd have noticed earlier. My scale could be off though and my method of weighing her isn't totally accurate (i pick her up and add it to my weight). In that regard she's only last 1lb in a year which is the last time she was at the vet. No clue what it could be.. she's crazy though and eats hair ties and sometimes aluminum cans (seriously) so maybe she just got into something bad... or maybe some bad food yesterday (she gets some lunch meat treats sometimes). I really have no idea.

She is a snowshoe!

39. Bobbie And Bubba

So very sorry about the vet bill, I have a steep one myself from Bubba on the 24-26 .......

Glad you got her checked out to find out what is going on and the weight loss is a lot in a month.

What is a snowshoe kitty? Is that the breed?

40. Kathy and TiTi

Snowshoes are so incredibly adorable!!!!!!

[​IMG]

pevsfreedom likes this.
  41. pevsfreedom

She's a real one of a kind [​IMG]

Shoeskitty-GA and sarahtee like this.
  42. pevsfreedom

Got back from the vet. Things acute pancreatitis for today but is not sure. She's headed towards liver failure with an ALT of 480 or something and amalyse 1900. She's eating just fine now after all the anti nausea meds.

43. pevsfreedom

I should say that he specifically said she has hepatitis.

44. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I'm glad you took her to the vet and I hope she will soon be on the mend.

Be careful with the eating things she shouldn't. I am watching a Dr. Jeff Rocky Mountain Vet episode right now where a cat had to be operated on and they found hair ties and dental floss wrap around the intestines. The Dr. said if you find a string sticking out, either end of the cat, not to pull on it if there is any resistance as it could be wrapped around a part of the stomach or intestines.

45. pevsfreedom

Yeah it's hard. We give her food sometimes (ham, turkey) and I think we got some bad stuff from Costco. We gave it to her last night and I smelled it this morning and it smelled foul and it was brand new! She's 100% normal right now and I'm stressed about her liver #s but besides that all is well.

Our pitbull, when I was like 4 or 5, ate a bouncy ball, and couldn't breathe. My mom rushed him to the ER and it was like $5-7,000 and they had to completely open his stomach to get it out or something. Luna throws up a hair tie once a week. I'll get my wife to be more careful!

46. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

J.D., who lived to be 20, used to like rubber bands, so I had to throw them away every time I saw one in the house. Gabby of @Sienne and Gabby (GA) had to have major surgery from eating dental floss, so I always flush it down the toilet now.

@Marje and Gracie knows about liver problems. Maybe she'll stop by to give her input on that, although it might be later, as it is Marje's Birthday today. Happy Birthday, Marje!

47. pevsfreedom

Haha, Happy Birthday Marje.

Thanks.

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  48. Cara and Wynken (GA)

Pancreatitis can be very difficult… I have not had experience with that myself. But I have heard that it can be difficult to get them to eat, which is very troublesome when insulin is in the mix.

What I do have a lot of experience with is high liver enzymes, such as ALT. There are some good supplements that you can get that contain extracts of milk thistle. MARIN by Nutramax is good. So is Denosyl. Both of these supplements have dramatically lowered high liver enzymes in several of my cats.

Or you can just get a non-alcoholic tincture of milk thistle extract (silybum marianum).
    I buy that at the health food store and add a couple drops to the food.

49. pevsfreedom

Thank you that's very helpful I'll try that. She's eating fine already, 500% better than this morning. They gave us liver meds, nausea meds, and antibiotics. Do you recommend Marin & Denosyl or just one? Could I use something like this, grounded up? Any idea on dose? https://www.amazon.com/Marianum-Standardized-Silymarin-KRK-Supplements/dp/B00HW57LD0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1468114733&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=silybum marianum&psc=1

Poor thing has horrible arthritis. Every bone but one in her spine has fused together. Weirdest thing. I bought her Cosequin which people say has worked wonders for arthritis.

50. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Hi John, sorry Luna put you through such a scare today. Some people give Denamarin for liver support which I think has both. What did the vet give you for the liver? Did you get any pain meds? If it's pancreatitis, that is very painful. Buprenorphine can help.

Sorry about the arthritis, that's one of the nastier side effects of acromegaly. Neko's spine is a mess too, but acupuncture really helps her. As does regular Buprenorphine.

Love Luna's white tummy markings. Almost the same as Neko's.

51. pevsfreedom

Hi Wendy always good to hear from you.

He gave her Adenosyl for the liver. I asked about pain meds and he said they can't give her anything, something about how there's no good pain meds for cats.. maybe he's unaware of Buprenorphine. I think however he didn't wanna prescribe anything due to her liver #s being off. He wasn't 100% sure about pancreatitis, but said the arthritis definitely hurts her. Had no idea its a symptom of acro!

52. Cara and Wynken (GA)

I have given Marin and Denosyl but to different cats at different times. No idea on whether they're ok to give together, but you could ask your vet. If they gave Adenosyl (have not used that) it sounds like that's similar.
    No idea on the dosage needed for the item in the Amazon link, sorry!

I agree that bupe is a great pain med for cats. Maybe if you ask, they will give you some.

You have a lot to manage with your sweet baby, but it sounds like you are doing a tremendous job!!! She is lucky to have you!

53. pevsfreedom

Yes she is! Lol. Thanks.

54. Kathy and TiTi

My Mikey has his whole sacrum fused. But it's from bbs and a pellet, from before he found me. Hateful brats with "harmless" guns. Yea, tell that to thuh marines.

It sure was a great, good choice to get your gorgeous snowshoe to the vet today. It sounds as if you got her there just in time. Good going! Fortunately, the liver can regenerate - I mean once you get her stabilized.

And what a delightful belly she has.

55. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I just got home so let me read through the condo and then I can offer some thoughts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.