? Vomitting after Insulin Shot

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Judy and Hershey, Apr 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Judy and Hershey

Judy and Hershey Member

Hershey and I have not been on the forum for awhile, he as been holding on to a 200-220 BG tested twice a day. He gets .50 u of prozinc twice a day. About 4 days ago he started to vomit. Not usually after a meal necessarily, but at some point during the day. Now I know he has gotten into the dog's food, even when it is on the counter covered with another plate. He is currently eating FF classics (all under 7), and he gets YA about 1/4 cup a day. My other two cats cannot adjust to wet food only so they get some Purina Pro Plan Weight Management. Now he has also eaten some of this in the past week as well. I had some Royal Canine Recovery Canned food from his last bout with some gas about 8 months ago, since then we have really watched his diet carefully. At that time the VET checked him for pancreiatis and keytones all blood came back good. I must confess to giving him a bit of ham at Easter.

I'm sorry I have not kept up with my spread sheets we keep a note book at home. We gave him 1/2 a Pepcid today, but about an hour after dinner tonight he threw up everything. Unfortunatley I did not have any more recovery and he just had the Chunky Chicken Classic tonight. I didn't give him very much I gave him only .25 u tonight worried he might vomit. The weird part is he seems ok otherwise, he is hungry, his nose is wet, drinking, moving around (although mostly to quiet places), he has been cleaning himself as well. We are scheduled for a 4:00 p.m. appointment with our Vet tomorrow, and I know he will run blood, etc. Do I need to be worried tonight about the .25 that I gave him now that he has vomited.

I'm so worried. It will be 2 years next month that he has been on insulin. He is 11 years old and the love of our life. Any comments are appreciated. Thank you so much.

2. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Don't mean to gross you out but did he just vomit up his food or foamy like? If foam, what colour?

3. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

How long ago did you give the insulin? The only way to know if he's okay will be to get a couple of mid-cycle tests. Is he throwing up any hair balls? Throwing up food? Throwing up clear?

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I agree that you need to get a couple of tests between +5 and +7 to see how he's doing. That's about all you can do for now. You can post again tomorrow AM for advice if he's still vomiting. It's good that you have an appointment with your vet tomorrow. I suggest you take down the red 911 and put in the question mark icon now that your post has been seen by us.

5. Judy and Hershey

Judy and Hershey Member

Just food, brown, and then a bit of clearer liquid...

6. Judy and Hershey

Judy and Hershey Member

I gave him insulin about 3 1/2 hours ago he just came up and wanted food, I offered him a few YA kibbles he ate walked away and started cleaning, but he usually throws up randomly. When should I test maybe at 6 hours past? I'm going to bed in about an hour but my daughters will be up late they can test.

7. Judy and Hershey

Judy and Hershey Member

Thanks, how do I do that?

8. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Go up to your thread title and glance down to the lower right area and you'll see "Thread Tools". Click on that and you can then go in to edit your title.

9. Judy and Hershey

Judy and Hershey Member

I will test him at +5 ad + 7. Hopefully he will keep this food down. We will give him another 1/4 Pepcid before bed. Prozinc usually reaches its low on him at around +7 from prior curves.

10. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hello Judy! It's lovely to "see" you again! I'm so sorry to hear that Hershey isn't feeling well. I agree that some mid cycle tests will help. Does he throw up every single day? Is he keeping any food down?

11. Judy and Hershey

Judy and Hershey Member

Thanks Rachel, we were doing so well, but as you can see by my post, Hershey seems to like to get into food he isn't suppose to. His number was good last night, but a little high this morning. 256. He didn't vomit last night or today, in fact he seems hungry and happy. So I am going to cancel my vet apt and wait and see how he does on the weekend. We have to be so careful between two other cats and a dog. Plus human food!!! Our vet is good, they can usually get us in if we need to. How are you?

12. Judy and Hershey

Judy and Hershey Member

UPDATE: Hershey did well last night, ate no vomit, and ate today no vomit. Whew! He went from 4 days of vomiting, randomly I will say, to normal. We will watch him closely on the weekend, and hopefully he gets back on track. His number was good last night, a little high this am 256, but still gave him a .25 unit just because I was worried he may vomit again after the shot. He did not! Thank God! Anyway, thank you everyone for your comments and support. This page is always my lifesaver!

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  13. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Aw I'm so glad to hear that Hershey seems to be feeling better! Hopefully it was just a tummy bug that ran its course.

We've been doing well! Recently changed professions and am about to start a new job (on Monday!) as a programmer analyst(AKA web developer). I'm pretty excited and nervous at the same time!

Please do let us know how Hershey continues to fare. It's always nice to hear from you!

14. Judy and Hershey

Judy and Hershey Member

Congrats Rachel that sounds exciting! Funny how we always think of people through their cats, when they actually have jobs!! Hershey has completely recovered thank GOD! So happy we didn't need the vet appointment, although I did have them leave some food for me to pickup Friday night after they closed (Royal Canine Recovery). That seemed to put him on track and not effect his numbers too much! So hard keeping him out of things, I have tried other foods, even giving into a daily treat of YA. Take care I miss this page I'm so busy I barely have time to get on my computer.

Rachel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.