Vomting cat, do I give insulin?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by aavrie11, Jan 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aavrie11

aavrie11 New Member

My cat was diagnosed with diabetes 2 months ago. Murphy is a 13lb black and white male and has been vomiting this afternoon. He had his 3 unit shot at 7:00am and started vomiting around 3:00pm. My initial thought was that the new treats he ate did not agree with him.
    He did not eat dinner at 6:00pm. I have tried offering both wet and dry food but he will not eat. He is drinking water, but not much. He seems really weak, walking around slowly and not himself.
    I did not give him his 3 unit shot at 7:00pm. Is this the right thing to do? I am worried about ketones (sp?). It is 8:40pm now. When do I need to take him to the vet? What if he's not eating in the morning?

Thank you for any and all help.

2. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

This sounds serious enough to me to go to the vet now. I don't suppose you hometest? This is just a real concern. It could be a hypo. Have you honey or syrup on hand? Can you rub some on his gums and get him to the ER? This is I believe an emergency.

3. aavrie11

aavrie11 New Member

Really? He looks ok. He is standing at the water bowl now. Should I get a tester at the store and check him before I take him to the vet? I have never home tested before. What is involved in home testing? The vet will be $100 just to walk in the door.

4. dianne and nemo

dianne and nemo New Member

I have to agree with Karen, this does sound like an emergency.

PLEASE, do not give your cat an insulin shot tonight!
    If you can not take your cat to an ER, keep trying to get some food into him.

Where are you located? (Please only the city you live in...NOT your address)

5. catthom

catthom Member

A home test kit would be very good right now. My gut instinct is, if the cat is not eating, or has vomited- it is better to skip a dose IF you don't know the cats response to food and/or insulin and are not testing, than to give insulin with no food aboard. Ketosis is another thing to be concerned about- but for now, the E.R. vet may be your best resource.
    How is your cat acting?
    Please look at all of the links on home testing- that is your absolutely best tool in dealing with any emergencies. There may be folks near you who can get you started. Please ask for help-
    Hope all is well-
    Cat

6. aavrie11

aavrie11 New Member

I live in Antioch, Tennessee. About 20 minutes from downtown Nashville. What I am thinking is should I see how he does overnight or do I really need to get him to the the vet now. I will be worrying all night long...

7. catthom

catthom Member

The most important thing is, how is your cat right now? How is he acting? is he acting normally- walking normally, responding to you- or staggering, confused, acting odd?

8. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

Well, you said he was not himself, walking slowly, vomitting, and these all could be signs of something serious. If you think he is looking better, and you can get a meter, I sure would do that before I ever shoot insulin next. Something is up. Something has changed. Without testing, it sounds like you are treading on dangerous ground here because something is happening. What kind of insulin is it?

9. aavrie11

aavrie11 New Member

I am taking him to the vet.
    Thank you all for your responses. I really appreciate the support.
    I will be home testing after tonight's scare.

I will update you all when I get back, wish me luck!

10. Victoria & Sundance

Victoria & Sundance Member

Good luck!!! Please do keep us posted. I'm glad you are heading to the vet office. And let us know when you have picked up a meter and strips (tonight or tomorrow) and we will help you learn to home test.

11. dianne and nemo

dianne and nemo New Member

Yes, home testing is easy, much easier than affording a visit to the vet.
    ...you need to know how to do this yourself.
    I would never give a shot without testing first.

If there is a wal mart, or walgreens in your area you should pick up a meter.
    I went to walgreens and got the TruTrack meter,
    It's very easy to use, it comes with everything you need for 10 tests, and it is less than $20.

Figure out how to use it by testing yourself...you'll get it pretty quick.

12. tajana340

tajana340 Member

Yes please keep us posted and I did definitely start testing after that happened to me. And you have great people here if you need anything.

David

13. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.