Waiting for blood tests - weight down & no ideas

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by shelaghc, Apr 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shelaghc

shelaghc Well-Known Member

Jester lost over a pound since January.
    So far it doesn't seem to be kidneys.

2. shelaghc

The bood tests all came back negative and my baby is still losing weight.

I don't know what to do.

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I suggest posting on the main forum. If you can get a copy of all the test results and put them on your SS in the "Labs" section there are people here who can help you understand them. There are a dozens of tests that could be done, some expensive and invasive, but if you list the exact ones that were done it would help.

Djamila likes this.
  4. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Yes, if you input your lab values and then post in Main, there are people who are great at interpreting them and might have some insight for you. So how much does he weigh now, and how much does the vet want him to weigh?

5. shelaghc

Vet isn't saying how much. He just keeps saying Jester may never regain the weight.

Pre-dx he weighed 12.5. Now he weighs 8.1.
    In January he weighed 9.4.

6. shelaghc

Just called the vet's office. They're going to email me the results.

He was *so* hard to feed this morning . Took over an hour to get him to eat half a can of a food he's been happy with for several days. Even though his BG was 186, I didn't feel comfortable giving him more than .5U.

It just seems like he'll decide one thing is the only thing he'll eat, then suddenly he won't eat that either. The only reason he got as much food into him as he did was that I found a stray can of something I bought by accident - Friskies Tasty Treasures Turkey and Cheese w/ a carb count of 17. He's been eating stuff that's 13 or 14 and I hate going up higher. But he has to eat *something*.

Before I left he'd eaten nearly a can total between the two flavors.

7. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Have you tried a kitten food for him? There are a couple on the food list that are higher in calories. Might be helpful with the weight issue. I've found that my kitties both like to have a variety of foods. If I feed them the same thing several meals in a row they'll stop eating it, but if I keep things rotating they will allow a food to stay in rotation for a long time. It's also possible he's just feeling a little meh :( from the vet visit yesterday. Hopefully he'll eat better for you tonight.

8. shelaghc

Jester's so picky and his previous reactions to changing his food (i.e. not eating at all) make me ultra-hesitant to try anything he hasn't previously "picked" on his own.
    I tried some YA a couple of weekends ago and he chomped down like crazy on it, then later was begging for food but walking away from everything I gave him.
    The episode last fall in which he stopped eating almost completely on his own for ten days was pretty terrifying for me and gave me an almost Pavlovian automatic response to any changes in his diet.
    That's sort of what I do with Jester as well, although the rotation tends to be with two or three flavors. Turkey & giblets, chicken, and turkey & cheese - all Friskies shreds.
    tbh, before dx, his favorite food was Friskies Indoor variety Chunky Chicken w/ turkey and rice. There was another flavor he liked of the same kind, but the only difference was that turkey was the main ingredient instead of chicken.
    He ate that flavor of cat food for literally *years* and loved it. I'd still be giving it to him, but the carbs are in the mid-20s.

I hope you're right. He's just scaring the crap out of me right now.....

btw, I finished entering the small amount of data from Jester's lab work and posted to the main board. Not much response yet, except that the numbers seem good.

9. shelaghc

He kind of is, but he's insisting on the higher carb food. I still had to open two cans total - first the shreds, then when he walked away after eating some of that, the tasty treasures.

On the plus side , his BG is still behaving. I've only given him .5U each time today.
    AMPS was around 180ish and PMPS was 175.
    And his evening +4 was 115.
    Now if he would just not be thin as a rail for his mom....

Rachel and Djamila like this.
  10. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I'n glad he ate something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.