waiting for test results..

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by purplecatqueen, Oct 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. purplecatqueen

purplecatqueen New Member

Hi all my name is shelley 48 years old, and I have come here for moral support, my vet has given me Katkor to put in my cats litter tray, to do some tests for Kidney and see if he is Diabetic. So now waiting for results, my 13 year old Siamese,who has had health problems ever since we rescued him, he has the herpes virus, and has never been a big cat, but the last few days, he has lost more weight, drinking very frequent, weeing lots, but the last couple days, he has been going to his litter tray and sitting in it, with his bottom hanging over the edge, hence weeing on the outside of the tray. He is off his food, and every now and again, he has what looks like a very slight head tremors, and very unsteady on his hind legs, The weight loss is very alarming, he looks like he is starving, but we have been pretty used to this, as its been the norm, tried everything to try and build him up, but he has flare ups with his virus crashed numerous times, I am very scared, he seems so depressed, very anxious waiting for the results...any advice would be very welcome..

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

I am sorry you and your sweet kitty are so distressed. His symptoms do sound a little like diabetes (the increased urination, weight loss and excessive drinking.). But I am sure the tests results will give you a clearer picture. The good news is that if he is diabetic, it is a disease managed fairly easily at home. With a long lasting, mild insulin like Lantus, Levemir or ProZinc and a change to a low carb diet (see this website done by a vet: www.catinfo.org) and blood glucose testing at home, you can be sure your cat is in safe numbers and that the doses you are giving are helping. Cats can and do go into remission - not every cat, but many, many do.

3. purplecatqueen

purplecatqueen New Member

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB.
    What country are you in? The food choices do vary by country and we've members from several different ones. Switching to low carb, canned food instead of kibble/biscuits will be healthier for your cat regardless of the diagnosis. Doing that now, before starting treatment, may help a great deal whether it is diabetes (lower carb foods), renal disease, (more moisture content) or something else. Switch out the food about 20-25% per day to avoid GI upsets from sudden food changes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.