? Waking me up at 4am each night

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by CassAndGordy(GA), Oct 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CassAndGordy(GA)

CassAndGordy(GA) Well-Known Member

Hello all!

As y'all know, I'm very new to all of this. So I want to pose a question...

Gordy (and my civvie Rex) have transitioned to mainly wet food brilliantly. They both love it and seem to be not interested in the dry as much. Since the diet is new (and I haven't gotten an autofeeder yet), I'm not sure I'm doing something wrong.

For the past 4 nights, I have been woken up by Gordy heaving up white foam. Now, of google gives me all SORTS of answers, one being that he may be hungry.

What I did nights #2 and #3, was give him a little bit of kibble (which he gladly ate). So for last night, I set the auto dry feeder to output a little bit of food at 2:30. I still got woken up :( (also, the food is still there)

He typically gets his shot around 5:30pm, so the 3:30-4:30 range could be his insulin wearing out??? I had spoken to the Vet yesterday on a different topic, so I asked about this. He doesn't seem to think that its necessarily an insulin-issue, but told me to keep track of it and let them know on Tuesday (he go for a checkup) if it keeps happening.

Has anyone ran into this? I am thinking it has to do with his feeding schedule AND the added meds, but I'm not sure.

(sorry if it reads as rambling... the sleep disruption is messing with me HAHA)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  2. CassAndGordy(GA)

I should note... Now that I am testing, I am obviously keeping track of when he gets his shot. So I can see how that correlates.

Critter Mom likes this.
  3. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

My kitty used to throw up clear or sometimes whitish foam around 4 or 5 am and it was because his tummy was empty and he was getting acid build up in his tummy because it was empty.
    I think setting up a feeder to open with a snack about an hour or more before that happens would help him.

Critter Mom and Daphne like this.
  4. CassAndGordy(GA)

Thats what I did last night and he still had it happen. Maybe he is "too good" for that dry crap now ;)
    I have tomorrow off and I'll be doing more research on what autofeeder I want to get him.
    Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  5. Shenandoah

Shenandoah Member

Every night at bedtime I put down a "meatsickle" (a normal serving of canned food in an ice cube tray, filled with water around the meat, frozen). That gives my kitties a meal 3-4 hours after I go to bed, when it melts. Shenandoah stopped the clear-foam throwing up in the morning when I started that.

The only caution for any type of night feeding is that you won't know when they last ate, if you are testing BG first thing in the morning, so it could affect your numbers.

Critter Mom likes this.
  6. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

7. CassAndGordy(GA)

I think I am going to have to order that auto-feeder. I have another post about that. I am hesitant because all the ones made for wet food are plastic and Gord has an acne problem. But I've gotten some suggestions for helping that. So much to learn! LOL

I don't want my little man going hungry :( :( :(

8. Shenandoah

Shenandoah Member

I don't use any auto feeder. I just put the frozen food down on a small plate. When it melts, they eat it.

Critter Mom likes this.
  9. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Yawn...I grin...I'm another sleep deprived 4am extra sweet cat parent. Now I just get up, stumble to the kitchen in the dark where clean bowls, can of food and spoon awaits...scoop out 3 helpings and stumble back to bed. I have a little headlamp light that I hang on the cabinet door so I don't even have to turn on a bright light. Dakota's now taught the other 2 big boy kitties to do the same '4am bed march'. I can't do auto-feeder, Bebo would eat everyone's share and he's not the one that needs it. They all think I try to starve them anyway...yeah right - don't they look SO skinny? Dakota's the diabetic, he's the one in the back.

BeboSnowDoc28Sep16.jpg

Good luck! ....think I'll take a nap now.. :)

Critter Mom and Kris & Teasel like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.