Walgreens True To Go meter false results!! HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kays8cats, Apr 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kays8cats

Kays8cats Member

Hi friends,

Please see Emlos spreadsheet.

I was using the ultra mini to test him and ran out of strips so my boyfriend got me true to go meter and strips.

Someone told me many people are reporting false readings with this meter?

Anyone with any info is much appreciated!!

Last Bg not recorded on sspread sheet was 179 at 1pm.

He was on 2.5 units Wedgewood pharmacy compounded insulin U100 but have decreased does after past 2 days due to low AM and PM PS.

Thanks..

2. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

I haven't heard of the True to Go meter before. Was there a test solution with the kit to test the strips to see if they are good?

If not, can you test yourself and see if your BG comes up normal.

How's your cat acting? The numbers from today look good, a nice gentle curve. Maybe the meter is only off by a small percent. All meters do have a variance.

Also, you may want to apply for free meter deals when you see them posted in the supply closet. One Touch mini usually runs a freebie, one meter with ten strips. Good to have those around for emergencies.

3. Kays8cats

Kays8cats Member

Hi,

It is a new meter by walgreens tiny meter that screw on top of meter strip bottle :)

It did come with solution and I tested it twice and the numbers were within range of what was on bottle, no number coding needed.

Elmo is acting fine, not drinking or peeing a lot like before active, alert, good appetite so.

I did test myself and I was 100 so no clue what that mean, I just drank some coffee with flavored creamer and suger so...not sure what mine normally is??

Even if it is off I mean it would not be by that much right?

I did get the free ultra mini but used up those strips thats why I went and got walgreens meter.

Thanks so much, I am going to test again before I go to work

4. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

It sounds like you're doing fine and your kitty is fine so I wouldn't worry too much about these strips being that far off. I've used two different meters on the same drop of blood and gotten numbers that were different by 40 points. That was a while ago, now I just sort of have faith in the meter and how my cat feels.

Regarding the free OTU mini, I signed up and got one for me, then Lilly Grace (my cat) got one, then Tucker got one, then Mr. Darcy, basically all of my cats got one over the years :) Many have been given away when I've taught new folks how to test, but I still keep a few on hand in case I drop mine or the battery goes out or I run out of test strips.

You're doing great, you have a very lucky kitty.

5. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

When I started out, I used a true result meter and it was nothing but trouble. The readings I got made no sense and then I compared them to the one touch ultra and mini meters I got and it was so bad it made no sense.

I was told to pick one meter and dump the other and never look back. I chose the one touches and never regretted that decision.

You can see what I mean, by looking at the beginning of my ss.

Personally, I would return the true meter and get the strips for the mini. Note those strips work for the both the mini and ultra meters.

6. Kays8cats

Kays8cats Member

I do not have the money to buy more strips now anyone know where I can get some??

I just bought the walgreens meter and 50 strips :(.

7. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

good news is - you can return all you bought to walgreens. I did returned it all, even without strips, as I used some.

it's been a while since I got otu strips, last time I got them was from here, not sure if they have the good price still:

http://www.overstockdrugstore.com/produ ... count.html

May want to do some comparison pricing online and see if you can find it cheaper.

But you can always take the money you get from walgreens and go to costco or walmart and get the strips.

Or now that I think of it, you can just go to walmart and pick up a relion - I hear they work well and are inexpensive - that may be a better alternative.

8. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

I started out with the same True to Go meter. The problem is that it tends to read low, but not by a consistent amount. In the very low range it was about 20 points off, but as the numbers went high into the yellows or pinks there could be a 150 variation! I'm using the Maxima AST meter now, about the cheapest strips you can get, but only mail order. I get them from Hocks for about $17/50 strips. Lots of peeps use the Relion from Walmart, and are happy with it. I think those are around $20 /50 strips.

9. Kays8cats

Kays8cats Member

Great! :cry:

He has been reading low ever since I got this meter... So I am going to go buy the walmart relion this am and see how that compares.

I am going to be extremely upset if the numbers are way off and definately going to get my money back for the walgreens meter and strips!!!

I have no money, will have to borrow it to get this meter, I have a few other meters but no one has gotten back to me or have any at all to offer me so I can test using one of those.

Not a good morning.

Elmo is acting fine, better than he has been.

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.