Walk me through hometesting for Phoebe please phase 6"

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by EricH., Aug 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

+2 97

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Eric, did you shoot 2 units on a 163? That's aggressive. Looks like an active cycle. Be sure you have some high carb gravy food around to steer the cycle.

3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

That's a nice big drop. Keep an eye on her and be sure to get another test @+2.5 or 3 Glad Sues here, I'm on my way out to work, but will check in when I can.

4. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Yes l shot 2 and not being rude but have you read what l've been posting on here for weeks? Phoebe HASN'T eaten wet food since she went DKA in July. She has a food aversion and the only thing she eats is YA dry. That's my problem with all of this. Everyone keeps telling me what to give her (l know what to give her) but she WON'T eat that as l mentioned day after day after day. So what do l do with a cat that ONLY wants dry and dry heaves too the smell of wet and doesn't like wet, honey, or syrup in her foof? You understand my frustration?

5. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

And when l asked do l shoot 2.15 or 2.0 no one seemed to want too answer that or give me advice? Was l suppose too shoot 1.75 or 1.00? Would of been helpful if someone would of mentioned that before l shot 2.0.

6. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sorry, Eric, but I am on the west coast and don't get up before 6am on a Saturday. When there is no one around, you can always stall. I have consistently said my no shoot number is 180 and then, a good reduction in dose. I know she is on YA.

I hope this is a downward trend for her and am confident you can steer the cycle.

EricH. likes this.
  7. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Sorry Sue no reason to apologize. I'm grateful for ALL the help from good caring people like yourself! :) I get frustrated with MYSELF not knowing all the answers for all of Phoebe's needs. The whole wet food issue is perplexing too say the least. Hahaha.

8. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

+4 45

9. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Try some higher carb dry or rub some honey on her gums. The honey should work faster. You want her numbers not to go down any further. Test again in 15 minutes.

I know this has been frustrating for you, Eric. Especially because of the food issue. Get through today and we can use this cycle to help figure out the dose for the next lower preshot.

EricH. likes this.
  10. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

She's still at 45 at 10:07am central time. I gave her honey and some treats.

11. Sharon14

How is she feeling?

EricH. likes this.
  12. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

She's doing great. She's watching the chipmunks outside and snacking on her YA. I gave her some Petcurean because its higher in carbs and she only nibbled on it.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
    Sharon14 likes this.
  13. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

+5 57

14. Sharon14

Looking good!

EricH. likes this.
  15. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

I'm biting my nails lol

Sharon14 likes this.
  16. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Good that it is moving up, not down. You need 3 rising tests after +6 or so before you can relax

EricH. likes this.
  17. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Eric, I am sorry I am just now getting home and catching up. Keep testing her every 20-30 minutes to make sure she is rising. On your other thread when you asked about reducing I said you have to be comfortable with what you shoot and pointing out that you shot 2.25 at 188 on 8.15. We just have no guarantees on how the kitty will do on a dose at any given time, all we can do is go by past data and proceed from there. I am sorry you felt let down this morning.

EricH. likes this.
  18. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

No, no Bobbie l feel like l let Phoebe down not knowing how to tackle this thing called feline diabetes. It's overwhelming and l just slipped a disk in my back yesterday and been in excruciating pain. It's even hard too get a test from Phoebe because the pain. Sorry for coming across like that.

19. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

+6 61

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
    Sharon14 likes this.
  20. Bobbie And Bubba

No apologizes necessary. I am sorry about your back and hope you will get some relief. It is very frustrating when we don't know how our kitties will react to a dose and what to expect. Today's cycle gives more information to you and will help going forward.

LOVE seeing the 61. As long as she is staying up past the nadir ( +6 or so) that is good. If she starts to drop again then give more food and give syrup if she goes under 50 again. You are doing great!

EricH. likes this.
  21. Sharon14

Ouch! Sorry about your back, Eric! Hope it feels better soon. You did great steering Phoebe so far. Your post says +4 61, but the SS has it as +6

EricH. likes this.
  22. Bobbie And Bubba

She is likely to really bounce up from the lower numbers today so don't let that worry you. If she doesn't come up to at least 180 for PMPS, you should skip her shot.

EricH. likes this.
  23. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

+7 73

Bobbie And Bubba and Sharon14 like this.
  24. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

That was my error. All the numbers on this post are correct. The spreadsheet is correct.

Sharon14 likes this.
  25. Bobbie And Bubba

I like that she is surfing and hasn't bounced high........when was the last time she ate in relationship to the +7?

26. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

+9.75 265

27. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

She free choice feeds as recommended by YA so she grazes off and on all day.

Sharon14 likes this.
  28. Bobbie And Bubba

There's the bounce.

29. Sue and Oliver (GA)

I' m so glad she stayed in safe numbers this cycle, Eric. Great job! I am sorry to hear about your back - it is so easy to hurt yourself and cause such pain. As I get older, I find sometimes all I have to do is roll over in bed!

My philosophy (and only mine) is that it is err on the safe side. Yes, she got in some good numbers today, but the bounce (and the elevation because of the high carb/honey) may be the price you pay. It may take a few cycles to get back on track. Others have had success being more agressive and that is fine. Once you know how to steer the cycle, and if you are there to monitor carefully, you can almost always control the situation. I am just always thinking that it is not my cat, and I don't want to cause her any harm. So my advice is cautious. But, as always, you hold the syringe and you decide.

EricH. likes this.
  30. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hey Eric...sorry we weren't around this morning. It's been a week here, so I slept in pretty late today.

I'm sorry to hear about your back! You did a great job today and hopefully you can get some rest tonight and feel better.

31. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

PMPS 427

32. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Rachel it's ok! No reason to apologize! It's not as if you're her veterinarian. I'm thankful for being able too ask all of you questions!

33. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Oh believe me Sue l know all about that! I've hurt my back sneezing in the wintertime! Hahaha

34. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hahah you ever feel like you are the vet, though? I swear, I walk into my vet's office and tell them exactly what I suspect to be wrong, why I think that, then they confirm it and I bring up specific treatments I suggest. I think I should get a discount!! :p

EricH. and Sharon14 like this.
  35. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Well ever since Phoebe went DKA and l discovered this wonderful group l definitely feel up on a few things compared too my veterinarian. If l continued my veterinarians route I'd still be shooting Phoebe blindly. Scary!

36. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

+4 333

37. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

AMPS 255

38. Sharon14

Back to a nice sunny yellow! Hope she sees good numbers today without going too low so you can rest your back and her ear some!

EricH. likes this.
  39. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

+3 208

Sharon14 likes this.
  40. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

+7.5 160

Sharon14 likes this.
  41. Sharon14

Eric how's Phoebe? Don't see a PMPS for her tonight...

42. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

+5 96

43. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Sorry,she's doing great! I updated her numbers. Had family in today.

Sharon14 likes this.
  44. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

AMPS 277

Sharon14 likes this.
  45. Sue and Oliver (GA)

She is looking good, Eric. Great that you didn't have a prolonged bounce from the low cycle. Maybe she is getting used to the lower numbers.

46. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

PMPS 360

47. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

She's doing great Sue. She's definitely back to her normal pre-dka self. Very playful and sweet! ❤

Sharon14 likes this.
  48. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

AMPS 267

49. Sharon14

I see you increased back to 2.15, that's good. I didn't like seeing those pinks that were starting to show up! Will you be able to test some today?

EricH. likes this.
  50. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

+2 208

51. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

+6.5 77
    ⚡❤⚡

52. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

+7 77

53. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

+7.5 94
    Loving Phoebe's numbers today!

Sharon14 likes this.
  54. Sharon14

Very nice!:D

EricH. likes this.
  55. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

Whoa - what a nice surf!!

EricH. likes this.
  56. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

+10 142

57. Sharon14

Remember if she's below 180, don't shoot, stall without food and retest in 20-30 minutes to see if she's high enough. Then you may need a reduced dose. @Sue and Oliver (GA) or @Rachel will you be around at 5:30 central?

58. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Eric - I think you will either have to skip (which is not good with her history of DKA) or stall long enough to give her a reduced dose

59. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

I believe she'll be over 180 by that time. But if she's at 180 what should l shoot?

60. Sharon14

Let's see what she is when the time comes. I'm in and out feeding animals, will try to check in.

61. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

PMPS 271

62. Sharon14

Wow she did go up! Maybe a bounce from the pretty green cycle today.

EricH. likes this.
  63. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Whoops! Sorry for some reason the tag didn't notify me...looks like she had a lovely cycle today!

EricH. likes this.
  64. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

I don't understand the bouncing but she's doing great.

65. Bobbie And Bubba

Hi Eric ~ Here is a explanation about bouncing.

Bouncing - Bouncing is simply a natural reaction to what the cat's system perceives as a BG value that is "too low". "Too low" is relative. If a cat is used to BGs in the 200's, 300's, or higher for a long time, then even a BG that drops to 150 can trigger a "bounce". Bouncing can also be triggered if the blood glucose drops too low and/or too fast. The pancreas, then the liver, release glucogon, glycogen and counter-regulatory hormones. The end result is a dumping of "sugar" into the bloodstream to save the cat from going hypoglycemic from a perceived low. The action is often referred to as "liver panic" or "panicky liver". *Usually*, a bounce will clear kitty's system within 3 days (6 cycles).

EricH. likes this.
  66. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

What l meant l guess or what l should of said will the bounce keep happening or will Phoebe eventually find a happy medium?

67. Bobbie And Bubba

Some cats eventually stop bouncing. Other cats bounce all the way into remission. With some the bounces get less steep and clear faster after they get used to being in normal numbers. ECID

EricH. likes this.
  68. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

+3.5 310

69. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

You're right about the bounce. After those beautiful numbers today she's 310 @ +3.5

70. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Yep, looks like she bounced right back up! I think the record for bouncing on this forum is 2 years...but most cats don't bounce for that long. As Bobbie said, though....ECID!

71. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Don't get discouraged, Eric! You'll get through this. I think some cats' bodies get a bit "jittery" as they get into good numbers and it can drive the owner nuts. I have a lot of experience with that ...

72. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

+10.5 118

73. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

PMPS 167
    Group question?
    Give her 30 minutes test than shoot?

74. Bobbie And Bubba

Yep. that's a good idea seeing how she dropped before when you shot the 163. If she is 180 or over in 30 minutes, go for it and get a +2 to see how active the cycle will be.

75. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

+1 255

76. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Bobbie she's 255 @ +1
    I'm giving her 2.0u. Do l need to do anything different on my chart?

77. Sharon14

Hi Eric. She had a nice cycle again today, maybe had a green since she was 118@+10.5. Not sure how to fill out the SS Bobbie will have to tell you about that. How's your back?

EricH. likes this.
  78. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Not sure how others do it but you can add "Shot +13 in the box for +2. She has been doing very nice the last few cycles, Eric.

EricH. and Bobbie And Bubba like this.
  79. Bobbie And Bubba

That's exactly how I would do it too.
    ETA: if you shot at +1 (13 hours after the AM shoot) that would actually be in the +1 box write shot at +13

EricH. likes this.
  80. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Thanks Sharon. Back is better. Muscle relaxers and inversion tables work wonders! Hahaha!

Sharon14 likes this.
  81. Bobbie And Bubba

We have an inversion table and it really helped my husband with his back. I can't use it; it makes me very anxious. Glad it is helping you.

EricH. likes this.
  82. Bobbie And Bubba

I wonder how low she went today with the 118 @ +10 then how she bounced up to 167 at PMPS. She is getting into lower numbers which is wonderful.

83. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

278 @ +3.75

84. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

I was wondering the same thing? It worries me when l'm gone all day and come home and she's that low. It makes me think how low did she go and was she close too going hypoglycemic? Or do you think l'm overtly worried? But l do have a lot of previous test numbers to draw from.

85. Bobbie And Bubba

It's so hard to know when there aren't any test from +1-+10. Her +10 was lower than yesterday's so it makes me wonder if her nadir was lower. But, she is no worse for the ware. Is it possible that you could get a +2 tomorrow morning so you would get an indication of how the cycle will go?

EricH. likes this.
  86. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Yesh l won't be here for the +2 that's the problem.

87. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

AMPS 66

88. Sharon14

No shot!

89. Sharon14

You can try another test in case that was a bad strip, but Just thinking since you shot late last night it's not been 12 hours since the last shot, right? With no shot this AM, she may be high this evening. Be sure to get a ketone test and you can get back on schedule. Maybe @Sue and Oliver (GA) can come up with a sliding scale? The 2u last night was too much for the 167/255 PS

90. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

She's at 94 right now.

91. Sharon14

Still too low to shoot. You can go to work and not worry about a hypo! Remember to get the ketone test later.

EricH. likes this.
  92. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

I know she's to low too shoot and l have to be too work in an hour. :(

93. Sharon14

It's ok. You'll get back on track this evening.

94. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

What should l do? I'm giving her treats that have some carbs in them? Luckily I'm only 10 minutes from where l'm workin today. So l can run home at lunch. But maybe just shoot after the PMPS?

95. Sharon14

With no shot, she'll be fine. Leave her food out as usual. You can get a test before you leave if you want. Yes I think you should wait until PMPS to shoot so your schedule isn't too wonky. If you want you could shoot a little earlier than usual this evening though.

EricH. likes this.
  96. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

She's 123.

97. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Shuld l give her 1u?

98. Sharon14

Since you gave her higher carb treats, that number could be food influenced and is still a normal number (or at least close since 120 is in normal range). I would not shoot, especially since you won't be home until lunch. You can get back on track this afternoon. Maybe if you're home, shoot at 4 PM

EricH. likes this.
  99. Carol & Murphy (GA)

I agree with Sharon, Eric No shot now
    I also think that she probably went lower last night, and will probably bounce from that, so don't be surprised if you see a high number
    Yes, you can shoot at 4 pm (of course, that would mean an early am shot tomorrow morning)
    One thing is for sure - the 2 units was too much for the 167 pre shot so once her bounce clears, you will need to consider that in her dosing

EricH. likes this.
  100. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Why shoot at 4pm when she normally ahoots at 530pm? Also if 2u was too much for her at 167 what should l have shot at?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.