Wally's PMPS Low what should I do with his dose?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by mkattz & Wally, Jun 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mkattz & Wally

mkattz & Wally Member

We are in week three, I believe of figuring out Wally's correct insulin dose. His pre shot numbers have been in the high three to four hundred. It is 1/2 hour till shot time and his BG is only 238. What should I do? I'm afraid to go full dose of 2.5 units. I'm afraid he will go hypo overnight!!! Advise please!!!!

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Test again at PS time.....if the number is coming up, it's probably just fine to shoot the scheduled dose

If he comes down you should stall, don't feed, and post for help

It looks like you may be testing 30 minutes before shooting? Generally we suggest Test/Feed/Shoot, in that order and all within about 5-10 minutes. With Lantus, it's not as important that they eat a big meal before getting their shot...as long as they're willing to eat that's enough. Lantus doesn't start "kicking in" for usually around 2-3 hours so you have that time to have him eat

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

First, this isn't Low. I nearly had a panic attack for you. When a subject line says that the pre-shot (or any number) is Low, most of us will assume that the meter screen says Low which is probably in the 20s. We only use the 911 icon if there's a medical emergency. Putting something like "Need Help" or "Need Advice" in your subject line will get eyes on your condo.

Numbers in the 200s aren't particularly low. You'll want to test right before shot time. The half an hour between test will tell you if numbers are rising or not. (I hope you haven't fed.) In this situation, testing at +11.5 is working in your favor. It gives you a point of comparison with your PMPS.

We typically use 150 as a stall and ask for help number if you're new to managing your cat's FD and planning on following Tight Regulation.

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

On this forum, we say it's OK to shoot over 150. Even new people on Health will shoot over 200. When kitties preshots are lower on Lantus, their cycles are flatter, you don't get the big drops. Take a look at some of the other posts on the forum and see what the kitties numbers are doing during the cycle.

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

And we use the 911 for a medical emergency. It kind of draws attention and gets people worried. Since your question has been answered, could you remove the 911? Thanks.

6. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to LL. This is a very safe number to shoot provided you have supplies. Chris and I posted at the same time. If on the rise and you do shoot it will be a good idea to get a +2 to see if you will need to watch closely. From your ss it looks like you intend to follow TR. I would remove the projected increase since was don't make that decision more than a cycle in advance. Do you have some hc food and ,karo or honey in case you need to bring up the bg quickly?

7. mkattz & Wally

mkattz & Wally Member

8. mkattz & Wally

mkattz & Wally Member

238 was 11.5 hours. 232 at 12 hours. I have not feed yet but this is going to mess up my schedule. I dose him at 7:00 in the morning and 7:00 at night. No fudging the schedule as my work hours wont allow it. What do I do now?

9. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

The two tests are the same so he is not dropping. If he were mine I would shoot.

10. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

The two tests are pretty much identical. Are you able to do some monitoring this evening? Getting a +2 and possibly more tests thereafter may be needed. Do you have strips and high carb food if you should need it?

If all of the above are possible, then it's safe to shoot. Remember, you're looking to see better numbers. The insulin is doing it's job. You are going to need to get some tests this evening, though.

11. Kathy and TiTi

Kathy and TiTi Well-Known Member

oh, my.
    You made the same mistake I made, and very recently . I really thought I had an emergency. And I didn't. And I scared everyone. And some people were a bit unhappy with me. Then I got my feathers all ruffled, because I was already scared half to death, by what I thought was an emergency. And I said that I did think it was an emergency, and that is why I used 911. Then everyone calmed down. I removed the 911, or someone removed it for me. I was totally a greenie then. I barely knew how to post.

At some point I realized that the very people who got, uhm P.O'ed at me, were some of the ones who cared the most about our kitties. Then I began to understand.

When I saw your 911, I got worried and checked in, too. lol.

So now you know that your numbers are probably just fine. That must be a big relief.

Furthermore, you know that someone else, me, made exactly the same mistake.

So cheer up. Your kitty is going to be fine, because you're in a great group, knowledgeable and caring.
    Hugs , fellow greenie!

12. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Work that juice Wally....
    Hope you can grab a +2 test....

Wally's getting better numbers and it will make him feel better.

13. Chris & China (GA)

You got it!! We see that 911 and everyone's heart skips a beat or two! We don't mean to sound unkind....we just really worry about each others kitties!!

Also, once you use the 911, it's good to take it down so IF you have another emergency later in the cycle, people won't think it's the same one from earlier!

14. mkattz & Wally

mkattz & Wally Member

Thank you for responding I gave him 2.5-. I will take another BC at 2 hours. Sorry everyone, I'm still trying to figure this out and this was a big drop for him. I have the karo syrup out and FF gravy lovers out on the kitchen counter just in case. I will remove the 911. Sorry again, it was shot time and I was caught off guard.

15. mkattz & Wally

mkattz & Wally Member

Thanks everyone. But I still need help! How do I get rid of the 911?. I tried to delete it but nothing happened.

16. mkattz & Wally

mkattz & Wally Member

I got it. 911 has been removed. Once again sorry. It felt like an emergency to me at the time.

17. Kako & Tux

Kako & Tux Well-Known Member

hi! Good... you figured how to take 911 down. I was trying to write but I was coughing hard the same time.
    I understand you felt it was an emergency.

OK... you gave 2.5u injection. Test at +2 and post the number. Someone would help you!
    This morning I gave injection at 234 and Tux went low. If you look at Tux's spreadsheet, you maybe able to get some idea. HC is FF gravy.
    Sorry..... I got cold or flu or something... coughing a lot..... not typing well.

You and Wally will be fine. You will he helped here. :bighug:

18. Chris & China (GA)

No need to apologize!! We've all been there!!

None of us knows what we don't know until someone else teaches us....that's what we're here for!!

Kako & Tux likes this.
  19. mkattz & Wally

mkattz & Wally Member

20. mkattz & Wally

mkattz & Wally Member

Tux has higher BC readings than Wally and still went low; this is scarry. Ok on weekends, but my job takes me out of the house for 11 hours during the work week. It seems to be a guessing game at best. I don't see a consistent pattern. Any advise?

21. Chris & China (GA)

It's still way too early to expect to see any consistent pattern in Wally's numbers

It was 4 months before I started to see real progress with China's

The one thing I'd suggest is to make sure you get at least a "before bed" test in every night...most cats go lower at night, so it's important to know he's in safe numbers before you call it a night in case you need to set some alarms to get up later in the cycle

Remember, this is a marathon, not a sprint!

22. mucacopatarica

mucacopatarica Well-Known Member

hehe you scared people big time. No biggy I did that too at the begining. You are doing great and soon you will understand what and how. If you must be out of the house 11 hours durig the week I would suggest you SLGS method.
    Acctually I just wanted to wish you wellcome here! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

23. mkattz & Wally

mkattz & Wally Member

I want to thank everyone for your support. Wally was low ( for him) again this morning but I braved it through and gave him a full shot. 1 hour post shot, he is purple again? I'm going to test at 3 hours. He was yellow yesterday afternoon, during the night and this morning before breakfast. He wasn't suppose to made any radical changes prior to next weekend when I will have three days to monitor his closely. BAD CAT!

24. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.