? Want to begin TR: advice, please

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Angel's mommie, Mar 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Angel's mommie

Angel's mommie Member

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

To start with, a +2 test can be a good indicator of how the cycle will go. If it's lower than the preshot test, chances are you'll have an active cycle that needs more monitoring. If the preshot is about the same as the +2, then it'll be a normal Lantus curve with some downward movement. A higher +2 likely means a quieter cycle. Notice I said "likely". Not all cats follow those guidelines. ECID - each cat is different. When my Neko was on Lantus, a +3 or +4 was a better indicator for me.

Speaking of which, if you have a bit more time in the next couple of days, it'd be a good opportunity to try to learn Angel's onset, nadir and duration.
    • Onset - the length of time before insulin reaches the bloodstream & begins lowering blood glucose
    • Peak/Nadir - the lowest point in the cycle
    • Duration - the length of time insulin continues to lower blood glucose
    Learning those concepts and where they occur in Angel's cycle will guide you in the best times to test.

3. Angel's mommie

Angel's mommie Member

Thank you so very much, Wendy&Neko. I just did a (slightly over)+2 and he's way lower than preshot. Will read the guidelines about Onset/Peak/Nadir/Duration carefully today. So much appreciate your help. I'm guessing I should stick to the .75 lantus for tonight and tomorrow morning?

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I would get another test in an hour, and maybe feed him a tsp or two of his regular low carb food to see if you can slow the drop.
    Yes, unless he goes below the reduction point of 68 on the AT, in which case you would reduce the dose.

Angel's mommie likes this.
  5. Angel's mommie

Angel's mommie Member

Great. Thank you. Will do.

6. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

hope you are able to get a random test in tonight..... some kitties do the lower dance in the inconvenient pm cycle.....

Angel's mommie likes this.
  7. Angel's mommie

Angel's mommie Member

Will try :)! As you can see from the previous few nights, that certainly was true!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.