Want to make the switch from Humulin

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by BooBoo Kitty, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BooBoo Kitty

BooBoo Kitty Member

Hello all, I have been posting on the beginners board and have been using Humulin and was told I should go to this board and find out some info here. You can see so far how my kitty BooBoo has been doing so far on the Humulin which is pretty spiky in her #'s. The vet had told me to give 1cc which is actually 10 units and when I found this website and introduced myself and what she was on, everyone was so amazed she was still alive! I have since been doing at home testing and have that posted for u on the bottom. It was also advised to me from all the wonderful people here that i need to put her on 2.0u so that is what she is on now 2x daily, but #'s still aren't good. Also just did a ketone test and it was negative. I appreciate any help... Thanx!

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

hi Stephanie,

welcome to the Lantus (& Levemir!) forum!
    would you be able to put some info together?

questions:
    any history of ketones?
    when was Booboo diagnosed?
    do you know her weight? or ideal weight?
    are you interested in switching to Lantus or Levemir? Both are excellent choices.
    What is Booboo's current diet?
    What meter are you using?
    Are you on a 12/12 shooting schedule?

While you wait, have a read-thru the info stickies (the ones with the "star" icon) up top, lots to read and valuable information.

Others will be by thru the day to offer input, so read up in the meantime.

3. Beth & Atlas

Beth & Atlas Well-Known Member

Hi BooBoo,

I saw your thread the other night and while I didn't post...you had a lot of great input already, I had to agree with what they were telling you. 10u and your cat was still alive?! Whew...

There is a lot to learn as switching from Humulin to Lantus/Levimir is a big difference. The insulins have very different kinds of action in the body.

Humulin will have only a 6-8 hour duration. Meaning Booboo will continue to have pink/red numbers (spikes) and only be down in healing numbers a few hours each day.

The L's (lantus/levimir) are long acting insulins often providing 10-12 hours or longer duration. This would keep BooBoo in healing numbers most of the day once regulated.

Having read you other thread on the health board, I am wondering if you are considering a different vet or clinic besides an insulin change?

4. Beth & Atlas

Beth & Atlas Well-Known Member

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Welcome to Lantus Land!

Ronnie has listed out some important questions that will help us get to know BooBoo a bit better. When you have a chance, would you respond? Also, when are you planning on switching insulin?

Humulin N is very different than Lantus. N is an intermediate duration insulin vs. Lantus/Lev which are long acting. Unlike N, once a cat is regulate, you will see a much flatter cycle and there is overlap between cycles with Lantus/Lev which makes these far gentler than N.

There are also other differences with respect to flexibility. With Lantus and Lev, because they are longer acting, you will need to give shots as close to every 12 hours as possible. Lantus likes consistency both in terms of shot time and dose. Lantus dosing is also based on the nadir, or the lowest blood glucose (BG) level in the cycle rather than the pre-shot numbers. We encourage always getting a pre-shot test for the safety of your cat and you will need to continue what you're already doing in terms of getting spot checks during the cycle.

So far, BooBoo's numbers aren't bad. There's a bit of bounciness from lower numbers but that happens with most insulin. FWIW, Gabby was initially put on N by the critical care vet. My regular vet gave it about a month before we switched since N wasn't keeping her numbers stable. (My vet's reaction to N was that it's a good insulin for dogs, but not for cats given their faster metabolism.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.