Wanted to thank this forum, and especially one user in particular

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by johnt, Nov 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnt

johnt Member

When i came back here I was desperate. Wilbur was all over the place, I had no way of testing him (he was scared).

Using @Kris & Teasel's advice I finally got him to let me test.

I was also all over the map dosing him. With many forum member's advice I finally got him stabilized. Over the next couple months @Kris & Teasel helped me stabilize him and get my Google sheet baselined so we could treat him correctly.

for a few months we worked. When i first started this wilbur was getting 10u x 2. we immediately got him down to 4u.

Over the next few months using @Kris & Teasel's advice (mostly) I got him off the temptations. That alone let me get him down to 3.5u.

I decided once I was comfortable to take my treatment offline. it's just easier for me because I don't use google docs much, I use excel. it's open all day. I maintained the same plan and kept up with it diligently.

I stopped tracking in Google docs at the end of june (as you can see here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...I4aC0Kp2m-pxHE5W6CkFjpcRY0/edit#gid=471531621)

over the next 5 months i slowly tapered Wilbur's food intake down. I'm happy to report that Wilbur has lost a total of 4lb. from 25 to jut over 21lb. he no longer eats any dry food.

His Insulin dosage is down to .75u x2 and he's incredibly stable. he goes once every 4 or 5 days with a no shot period, and when it comes to his next dose he's usually in the high 200's

I can't thank you all enough for the help.

Again I want to point out @Kris & Teasel because she stuck with my massive posts for at least 2 months helping get me on the right path and I would have never been able to manage this without that kind of guidance.

You've all saved my little guy's life and I can't begin to express how grateful I am for it.

Thank you!

Beth 73, Bellasmom, JanetNJ and 6 others like this.
  2. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

John, what an absolutely wonderful post! :bighug:
    And I'm so glad that Wilbur is now doing so well. You're doing a brilliant job with him.

Kris is an amazing member of this forum, I'm often awed by her kindness and dedication. And I am so thrilled that her advice helped you to get to where you are now with Wilbur. ...More hugs....:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Eliz

johnt likes this.
  3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

John, I’m over the moon to read this! You did all the hard work getting over the testing and feeding hurdles and I’m very glad I was able to help. We’d love to read the occasional report on Wilbur. :D:D:D:D

4. Paigeworthy

Paigeworthy Member

Three cheers for @Kris & Teasel — and three cheers for YOU, @johnt, a fabulous cat daddy!!!

5. johnt

johnt Member

Well of course it took a lot of work from me, but without your guidance it wouldn't have happened.

It's amazing how different he is now. The one thing that concerns me is he almost lives by his water dish and he pees constantly. That can't be healthy for his kidneys but there's no real way for me to control that is there?

He pees I'd say 10x more than the others combined.

6. johnt

johnt Member

Why thank you! Although I am pretty sure any cat owner would take the same steps given the time and availability

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  7. johnt

johnt Member

Yeah that's exactly how I feel. We are to the point now where Wilbur hears the beep from the tester and he tries to tiptoe away. but he stops when i get to him, and during dosing, I give him a shot while he's eating and he's so good now he doesn't even stop when i'm doing it. Doesn't even notice the shot.

Only thing I hate is when I accidentally hit that vein and the blood comes out fast. inevitably before I can clean it off he shakes his head flinging blood all over the place :). good thing is the new testers need so little blood you don't need much!

8. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

You're making Kris blush. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.