Warnings/suspensions/banning

Discussion in 'Announcements & How to use the FDMB' started by Robert and Echo, Mar 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robert and Echo

Robert and Echo Administrator Staff Member Moderator

2. Robert and Echo

You can inquire all you like about others, in PMs or emails. Not my business or my concern. The FDMB is not a place to discuss warnings, suspensions, and bans of yourself or others.

When I've had to fire people from my business, I would never dream of discussing the reasons with my other workers as this would be a breach of confidentiality. I would state simply the person would no longer be working there and ask the others not to discuss it at work. I use that same philosophy of confidentiality here on FDMB; however, as several have pointed out, I do not even announce that someone will be away temporarily or permanently. I've expected that the person who is leaving will do that by PM, email, or phone but perhaps this is not always the case. My silence is not fair to other users who may be concerned about a sudden disappearance of someone. Lots of people leave this board everyday on a voluntary basis, with or without my knowing it, and without any announcement but in the future, I will announce when I know someone has left but I will still keep the reasons confidential.

Users actually get very, very few formal warnings and only an extremely tiny number have ever been suspended or banned for reasons other than spamming. I am quite tolerant until pushed beyond my limits. And I just don't understand when I counsel people that there behavior is unacceptable, they ignore me, continue their behavior, end up getting warnings or worse, and then cry foul when they are suspended. I've gotten a pretty tough skin over the last 15 years but this childish behavior still hurts me and still causes doubt. Heck, I even reverse myself pretty frequently! I do have a rather short temper so I try very hard to give people chance after chance then, yes, I will finally snap. I have NEVER given a formal warning much less a suspension or ban without giving it MUCH thought.

When people ultimately cause ME a lot of anguish and take up a lot of my time (e.g. sending emails asking them to cease and desist, answering all the complaints from others about them, having to read every post), that is what generally makes me snap. And, yes, quite often the final "blow" occurs because of a post that might not have moved me to even give a warning in the first place. Warnings, suspensions, and bans almost always occur because of repeated unacceptable behavior. Often repeated. And it is true, that 3 warnings, and you are out. So it again amazes me when people with 2 warnings will continue behavior I have asked them to stop. I do understand that they can feel at times that a warning comes after a less serious transgression but, again, it is cumulative behavior that I warn about.

If someone needs help from a person who is no longer on the board, for whatever reason, they can contact that person by phone or email. The ex-FDMB user hasn't disappeared from the face of the earth, for goodness sakes. Some people are told they will be suspended or banned within the next 24 hours and I give them the chance to use the PM system to inform people about their upcoming absence. It isn't responsible to keep disruptive people around because a few people want them on the FDMB. It doesn't matter how knowledgeable or helpful a person is, we have to have civility and adherence to the rules.

FDMB, like almost every message board, is essentially an autocracy. I make the rules, I try to make them reasonable, I ask people for advice, I listen to suggestions and complaints. Then I have to take the responsibility for actions. It really isn't on any whim, or any personal dislike. I'm a much better person than that. I'm not perfect by any means but I truly try hard to be thoughtful, cautious, and fair.

I hope this clears up some of your concerns. Or maybe it just makes you worry about MY sanity! LOL!

Thanks everyone, for being here, for giving yourselves to diabetic cats, and for putting up with me.

Hugs,
    Rebecca

3. Robert and Echo

Please review this post from Rebecca. ((During the software change-over it switched the poster's name to me, but it's her.))

No one has time for nonsense. Be kind. Help.

Thanks, Robert

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.