? Water tap versus bottled

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by DebG, Aug 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DebG

DebG Well-Known Member

I happen to look on the Sams bottled water which since we travel all the time I thought was a better choice. Then I see the ingredients Purified water, calcium chloride and sodium bicarbonate. Not to mention whats not listed on the bottle. I googled bottled water and I am not impressed with what I found. Not only do I give it to Fritz but my Dh & my self have been only drinking bottled water for 14 years. Should I be concerned?
    Trying to do whats best for Fritz I am now concerned about giving him any bottled water.
    I would like to ask what water everyone else provides for their kitties?

Squalliesmom likes this.
  2. Erica & Carter

Erica & Carter Well-Known Member

I had been giving and drinking tap water forever but there was a water advisory in my city so we have been giving the animals and ourselves bottled water. I hate using bottled water because it's bad for the environment in my opinion but we have yet to find a decently priced water filter and I don't trust the water around here now.

DebG likes this.
  3. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

I can't remember now which brand of bottled water it is but I know for a fact that one of them is filled from the city taps in Philadelphia! I am lucky because I have good well-water!

DebG likes this.
  4. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

I have been using the 5 gallon (refillable) water jugs for over 15 years. The water here often has a strong smell of chlorine and at one point turned the ends of my hair green (I am a blonde) I figured that can't be good for myself or my kitties. I was using the reverse osmosis water for awhile but came across a natural spring water source that has regular testing done.

ETA If I need water to take with me I use refillable personal water containers

Sharon14, DebG and Squalliesmom like this.
  5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Just so you know there are lots of things added to your tap water as well.

DebG likes this.
  6. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

After trying several different portable systems, I've been using the Aquasana Clean Water Machine for about a year and a half now. The system is a little more expensive than others, but IMO, the water tastes so much better!

We use the 8 cup pitcher to keep filtered water in the fridge and the 16 cup dispenser for room temp water. We fill our own glass water bottles when taking water with us. Filters have to be replaced about every 6 months.

The only downside is the machine is noisy. It took some getting used to, but well worth it. The taste far surpasses any other portable system we've tried.

ETA: Some stores like Bed, Bath, & Beyond run sales on the system every once in awhile.

DebG and Squalliesmom like this.
  7. DebG

DebG Well-Known Member

I think I'm going to check into this machine. Thank you!

8. Charlie M

Charlie M Member

We use reverse osmosis. Just fill the jugs at the grocery store. Smokey seems to have allergys to the chemicals in tap water (strong chlorine smell here, all kinds of chemicals added). When we switched his skin got way better, and energy level went up 10X with in 3days . Was very surprised to see the difference!

DebG likes this.
  9. Debbieyh

Debbieyh New Member

I give my diabetic cat Mountain Valley Spring water from a 5 gallon glass bottle. It's from a natural spring in Hot Springs Arkansas. I put it in a porcelain water fountain that has a charcoal filter. He lovesss it.

DebG likes this.
  10. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Nj has good tap water. We usually drink the water from the dispenser in the fridge or grab a bottle of Poland spring if we're heading out. Either is good.

11. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

We have well water that is great tasting. We do put it through a Brita filter and keep 2 pitchers in the fridge at all tomes. We refill water bottles with it and keep them in the few for grab and go times.

For the cats, I use a Replenadish waterer which has a charcoal filter I change every 3 weeks. And DH sometimes fills the waterer with the Brita filtered water.

12. katiesmom

katiesmom Member

I have been using only distilled water for the kitties for years. Distilled water is different than just bottled drinking water. The distillation process removes all the impurities and even trace minerals. It's basically just clean water with nothing else in it. I think Dr. Lisa Pierson mentioned on her site to use distilled water too.

13. Ruby&Baco

Ruby&Baco Well-Known Member

Hey, just looked at your ss and I see Fritz is doing better! That switch to Levemir did the trick for Fritz I see, nice blue numbers !! Great job!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.