Watery blood with lower number BG test results and dosing question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by LunaArt, Nov 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LunaArt

LunaArt Member

Hi! I am a new member here. My Jasper has been on ProZinc for 1 week now. I have been trying to get up to speed, so to speak, on how to treat feline diabetes,etc. It has been a bit overwhelming, but I am learning every day so far.

I have a question about getting a sudden lower pre-shot number tonight. Jasper has been generally running in the 300's or 400's (and a couple times 500's) pre-shot and tonight, it was suddenly 128. Retests were 135 and 153. This seems like good news, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. I know it is only one reading, but is it normal to be so low after being so high during the AM cycle?

Also, all 3 of his blood samples for the PMPS tonight seemed more watery than before. Has anyone else ever experienced that? Does it indicate something bad (or good)? I am a diet controlled diabetic myself and I remember from my diabetes classes years ago, my instructor told the class that when your blood sugars are high, it can turn your blood thicker and more syrupy. I am wondering if that correlates to his low number tonight. Lower blood glucose = thinner blood? My main concern is that the watery blood is giving me a false low reading or is it normal?

Thanks in advance for any help with my questions!

2. LunaArt

LunaArt Member

I wonder if I should have cut Jasper's usual dose in half and went ahead and given him 1 unit since I did get that reading of 153 from his ear on the third try?? He ate well once I gave him his PM food. I tested him again at what would have been +4 and it was 414. His blood was not watery like it was earlier. Argh! This is all so confusing. Thoughts or opinions in case this happens again??

3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome to you and Jasper! Have you read THIS from the prozinc forum? Usually we say no shot when under 200 to start and after getting enough data you can start a sliding scale type dosing. I’ll tag a couple of prozinc users that can help you.
    @Djamila

@Rachel

LunaArt likes this.
  4. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Hi, and Welcome! If you post over in the Prozinc forum, we're more likely to see you. The link to that is here: Prozinc

Thanks, @Sharon14 for tagging us! First of all, great job getting started on home testing. That really helps to be able to see the data. Were the three tests you did right in a row? Generally when you get a lower than usual number, the recommendation is to stall without feeding for 20 minutes, then to test again. During the last hour or so of a prozinc cycle, the numbers can rise quite rapidly. Often as much as 100 points in that hour. Stalling lets you see if the number is rising, and allows the kitty to get to a number that is safe to shoot, so you don't end up going a cycle without insulin. You can stall for up to an hour, in 20 minute increments. If Jasper never reaches a "normal" number, then you can decide if he's close enough to give the full dose, reduce the dose, or skip. Skipping is the least preferable option (at least at this point in your journey), though there are times when it's needed.

As far as the thickening and thinning of the blood, I've noticed that too. I don't know if it's because of the BG directly, or if it's because our kitties are so often dehydrated when they are at higher numbers, and are better able to use the water they consume (as opposed to peeing it out like crazy) when they are at lower numbers. Regardless of the cause, my cat does it too, so I don't think it's anything to be concerned about.

Sharon14 and LunaArt like this.
  5. LunaArt

LunaArt Member

Thank you @Sharon14 and @Djamila so much! Your replies have really helped me!

I will be sure to post on the ProZinc forum in the future if I have another dosing question. Last night, I only waited 15 minutes without feeding for the 3rd test which resulted in 153. I see now that I should have stalled longer with 20 minute increments and then made my decision of what to do about the dosing after around an hour. I have read the beginners guide for ProZinc a few times but I got thrown off about the watery blood. Now that I know it happens with other cats and isn't unusual, I'll be better prepared if this happens again in the future. Thanks again!!

6. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Good morning! Sorry, I was out last night and didn't see the tag. I see Djamila gave you great info (and of course Sharon too!), so I just wanted to say hi and please feel free to come by the Prozinc forum anytime! :)

LunaArt likes this.
  7. LunaArt

LunaArt Member

Thank you so much for the welcome, Rachel! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.