We are back 3/16 Bert PMPS 64 no shot +1 96 +3 163

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Kathy, Mar 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathy

Kathy Member

We have a bad storm here in PA on Saturday and I was without power for 2 days.
    We just got our Internet service back this afternoon.

Just in time for Bert to scare the pants off me!!!

Here is a run down of the last few days:

03/12/10 AMPS 279 PMPS 370 2.50
    03/13/10 AMPS 317 2.50 PMPS 99 0.00
    03/14/10 AMPS 324 2.50 PMPS 292 2.50
    03/15/10 AMPS 107 0.00 + 2 148 PMPS 276 2.50
    03/16/10 AMPS 308 2.50 PMPS 64 0.00 taken 1/2 hour mark....96

So as you can see Bert BG was low tonight. Vet said to give him some HC food and I added some HC treats. Within 1/2 hour it rose to 96.
    Vet said to skip shot tonight and test before bed.
    Bert was not acting any different than he always has. I was shocked with the number.

I can do a full curve on Bert Thursday, but this is the best I have been able to do for the past few days.
    o
    I feel a little overwhelmed tonight. I do not think we are ever going to be regulated.

So iI know it is hard to advise as I have not gotten a lot of spot checks, but would you follow the vets instuctions?
    He is to go to the vet in 2 weeks for a frucosamine test.

Thanks for any help and it is so nice to be in the land of the living again :lol:
    I am never going to be able to go on vacation again and I question if all this poking and prodding makes Bert happy.

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Re: We are back 3/16 Bert ***LOW BG of 64***

Hi Kathy

wow - what a change! and it's a good positive change too - so stay positive! Good things are possible!

can I ask, what HC food you gave?

3. Kathy

Kathy Member

He ate about 1/2 can of FF Grilled Turkey Feast in Gravy.

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Glad to see you back and sorry about the effects of the storm.

I was going to ask what happened to all of the spot checks!!

At this point, that 64 is the lowest pre-shot you've gotten and it's not even close to other pre-shots. I don't think you have the data to have shoot that number. That said, you could have waited, not fed Bert, and re-tested after 15 min. You can repeat this to see if his numbers are coming up into a shootable range. But, for now, I think your vet gave you good information if you needed to shoot at your regular time. I probably wouldn't have fed that much HC. He's going to zoom up. FWIW, with a 64, you could have fed LC or LC plus a little bit of HC gravy (i.e., MC). 64 is a safe number. You have a couple of hours from shot time before the Lantus will kick in.

It will happen. I think one of the side effects of not having mid-cycle information is that you don't get as good a sense of what is going on. I really, really like data. (It's a side effect of my day job.) Whether it's a false sense of things or not, it gives me a sense of control or at least a feeling that I know what's going on rather than Gabby's numbers just appearing out of no where. At the very least, there are times when I can predict what's going on. Gabby is really bouncy and prone to drama. Even with that, I've been able to look at her SS and see that there's been improvement. The more data you have, the more visible the patterns are. I'm not trying to give you a hard time about spot checks. (Sorry if it's coming across that way -- it's not my intention.) I think it can be frustrating if your schedule limits what you can do and it no doubt feels like nothing is happening. Hang in there. Our kitties are the ones holding the cards. We're just there to cut the deck.

5. Kathy

Kathy Member

That's the thing...I cant be the first person to work that had a diabetic cat :lol:

I am very limited with the daytime spot checks, but I know I can do more at night.
    I guess I want to enjoy my time at night with Bert rather than always poking him and having him run away fro me :cry:

In the PM hours, what do you all think it the most important time to spot check?

6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

You're absolutely right. Lots of us work.

I don't think there's "one" best time. Sometimes it's a matter of what's going on with Bert. FWIW, here's what I do. I try to routinely get a +2. For Gabby, that number will usually give me an idea of how the cycle is going to go. If there's a fast drop, I know I'm going to have to do some additional testing. I'm routinely up until +4 so that's my before bed check (or at +5, or both). And then there are the green nights when I'm up late testing.

This kind of schedule works for us. I've set up my shot times to accommodate both work and wanting to get a few tests in at night. It also makes sense because Gabby is a drama queen. Bert may be more considerate. You should try to get at least a before bed check every night.

Are you giving Bert treats whenever you test?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.