We are back and with a couple of questions

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Heather and Raja (GA), Nov 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heather and Raja (GA)

Heather and Raja (GA) Member

I think we are back.

Raja got sick on me and her bg has been elevated but tonight it went from 242 to 346 in 2 hours without eating.

The Lantus pen I have was opened back in August and since it's been opened its been sitting in a drawer in my bedroom. It hasn't been refrigerated, is it still good? My dad can give me a new pen but that means I'll have to wait a day or two to start her back on insulin

I'm having to force feed raja right now so how much should i get her to eat before giving her insulin and what dose should I start her out at?

I haven't updated her ss yet, things are crazy here with her sick and me sick and I havent been on the computer that much and it's hard to update her ss on my phone.

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Chances are your insulin is toast.

I would start getting ketone tests asap. The recipe for ketones is infection + not eating + not enough insulin. I would probably start back on 0.25u.

What is Raja sick with and should you be getting your cat into the vet?

3. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

I don't know that I would start that new pen just yet. It sounds more like she is sick and once that problem is sorted out, she may not need any insulin.
    If not eating, that's a problem. I think I would want to find out why she won't eat before jumping the gun and giving insulin.
    She could have a tooth issue and does not want to eat. Maybe she has an infection, or maybe pancreatitis.
    How is she with the litter box, and is she drinking water, how much?
    See if you can rule out illness before starting the insulin new pen.... the old pen is likely not good.

4. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

No advice to offer, but sending hopes for a quick recovery and
    that she comes off the insulin again quickly.

celi

5. Heather and Raja (GA)

Sorry, there is more info about her on the main board

Raja started throwing up last weekend and i called and got her an appointment for Saturday. They were booked during the week and sat was the only time I could get in. In the meantime I had her sub q fluids from the last time she got sick along with the reglan for the throwing up and something else to make her hungry.

Took her in and saw a substitute vet who isn't sure what's wrong. She wanted to X-ray her to see if she ate anything she should have but I declined that. She wanted a frutosime test but I said no to that a well. And i said no to a steroid shot.

Basically she was just throwing ideas at me and I wasn't impressed

We have another appointment Monday with the "real" vet.

The sub vet gave me an antibiotic and more sub q fluids. She said maybe an infection. Maybe pancreatitis or hepitatic liver.
    These were the same symptoms she had back in August when I rushed her to the er vet.

6. Heather and Raja (GA)

Ohh and she had dirrehea yesterday but not today but she hasn't pooped at all today and im pretty sure she hasn't peed at all either. I've been force feeding her baby food and give her sub q fluids. She hasn't eaten or drank any water on her own at all today.

7. Anne&Muffin (GA)

Anne&Muffin (GA) Well-Known Member

I would at least get bloodwork done when you go on Monday. Muffin was sick recently and her BG went up. I got bw done, she had an infection of some sort. The wonderful folks here told me not to hesitate to give a little insulin for support while she healed. Fortunately, within 48 hrs of being on the AB she came back down so I didn't have to, but had it stayed up for longer than that I would have given a little insulin.

8. Heather and Raja (GA)

The lady didn't mention bloodwork and I forgot to ask about it. I will tomorrow though

9. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Giving fluids and and not peeing could be a real concern. Raja may be a little dehydrated from the diarrhea but please get your cat to the vet. Blood work will tell you if there's an infection as well as provide other information.

10. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Best to check blood and urine for infection, and keep giving fluids. Can you get he vet to peek at her mouth as well?
    If you can, maybe take a stool sample.... you never know and don't want to rule out anything without checking first.
    Good luck at yr 'real' vet visit.

11. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

no advice, heather, but just wanted to send you some get well vibes! i hope both of you are feeling better and you get some answers for raja!

12. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Hope your trip to the vet gives you the answers you need..No urine for more than 24 hrs needs the attention of the vet-Prayers for Raja's quick recovery-

13. Heather and Raja (GA)

Well raja went to the litter box and peed and she tried to poop but couldn't. She finally walked out into the living room and pooped a little and then rubbed her rear on the carpet. I told the vet Saturday I thought she was constipated but she said there was nothing in her (after feeling her tummy area) and she couldn't be constipated.

One hard as a rock poo and struggling to get it out sounds like constipation to me. Going to bring that up today.

14. Anne&Muffin (GA)

Anne&Muffin (GA) Well-Known Member

Maybe anal gland issues? Muffin has to get hers expressed at least once a year. Looking forward to an update after the vet visit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.