We Got Blood!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by imogen, Sep 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imogen

imogen Member

I never thought I would be so thrilled to write that (or ever even imagine I would have to!). After 2 failed attempts with a lancet, I just poked with the needle. Worked like a charm. Imogen was NOT happy and David is a little more bloody than Imogen was at the end! Her numbers were 334 which bummed me out. She was 338 at the vet and I always thought home testing would be a lower number. Is this normal?

2. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!

see, told you you'd get it.

and yes, that number would be expected as there's still some stress going on i'm sure from trying to get this done. they can even pick up on your stress.

and something to remember in this dance, one number is not the world. it's more the pattern of numbers you will see over the next few days and weeks that will reveal stuff like if the dose is too high or too low or what effect diet is playing, etc....

3. imogen

imogen Member

She is also on a diet so by the time the we are needing to test she is frantic for food which is not a good state to begin with. I know in time this will be easier. Already night and day from this morning. It's so crazy, she was so normal before we got the diagnosis and with all the shots and food change and testing she's lost a little sparkle. hard to feel like we are doing her good.
    Thank you for all of your help. I could not have does this without this site!

4. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Good job.

There is nothing in the world betterthan when they DO get that sparkle back ;)

jeanne

5. Mom2Missy

Mom2Missy Member

She will definitely get her sparkle back. When Missy was first diagnosed, she just was not herself. She just laid around and didn't want to do anything. Now, about three weeks later, she's like a completely different cat. She's bright-eyed, she plays with toys... on her own! She used to give me a little sympathy swat at anything I would dangle in front of her face just to shut me up. Now she plays on her own with just about anything she can find. I've never seen her do that before, even long before she was diagnosed. It's tough in the beginning to give shots and poke their ears a million times a day, but once that sparkle does return it confirms that everything you been through was worth it and that you're on the right track.

6. Rob & Harley (GA)

Rob & Harley (GA) Well-Known Member

Well said Mom2Missy.

7. imogen

imogen Member

Thanks! Morning check another disaster. She flinches and yelps when I poke her ear. It truly feels like it hurts her and I don't know what to do! Got blood (yeah) but not enough to read (boo). Her coat feels more silky today so hopefully that is a good sign.

8. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Hurray! :RAHCAT :RAHCAT Welcome to the Vampire club! (Secret handshake coming in the mail......)

Tell us more about what you are poking with, where and how. Some people love the lancet holder ( I did, but I took off the clear top). Some people poke freehand with just the lancet. Be sure you are poking at an angle, not straight on. Have you looked at her ear with a flashlight and found the tiny capillaries that run off the vein? Those are where you need to aim. Do you have something behind the ear to poke against? And if you get blood but she is ready to run, put the drop on your fingernail. You can test it there.

Now that you know you can get blood, it is a matter of finesse - learning what works for you and Imogen.

9. RuBee

RuBee Member

I don't know if you've talked about it before, but might your meter require too much blood for Imogen's ears? I like Rufus' Contour USB a lot - it takes .6 microliters, and I know the ReliOn Confirm takes only .3 microliters. I know the ears don't seem to bleed quite as freely in the very beginning, but maybe you're doing just fine and it's your meter that's being unreasonable. ;-)

10. imogen

imogen Member

I founded using the lancet with the top off was the best way to go. With it on was useless. I have been poking the side of her ear right along the rim as was shown to me but may try and go inside a little more. Going straight in so tonight I will try at an angle. (Is going upward or downward better?) Good advice on the putting it on the finger. I have been using the Bayer contour. Believe it or not, they are not easy to find in NYC. Went to 5 different drug stores. I'll try again today to find the ones that take less.
    thanks!!!

11. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

The best way we found out where to aim is to use the flashlight behind his ear. It is easy to see the vein (not where you are aiming for). You can find an area where there are little capillaries coming off that vein and put your dab of vaseline there. I went upwards, but don't think it matters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.