We have to give our little guy away...

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by TorontoCatGuy, Sep 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TorontoCatGuy

TorontoCatGuy New Member

Hi everyone,

Sometime reader, first time poster. I'm in need of your help.

My wife and I have a 7 year old white/black domestic longhair boy named Taco, and his sister. About 3 years ago he got diabetes (typical story, that damn grocery store dry)...

Since then we've had them on a mix of Purina DM dry and Low-carb pates. We were giving him between 3 and 3.5 units of Lantus Glargine every 12 hours. Have been giving him Lantus Glargine twice daily for 2+ years now, but we are at a crisis point. He is very healthy, mobile, friendly, and a good weight, but occaisional spikes (monthly or every other month) cause him to pee on our furniture.

We have struggled in the past but about 2 months ago he had another incident that just about ruined our guest bed. My Wife said she couldn't take it anymore, and I bargained with her for 'one more shot' at making this work. I switched them to wet exclusively and saw major improvements. I've been able to drop the Lantus Glargine doses to 1.5 units with hopes of getting him to 1 unit and maybe remission. Was seeing much better BG numbers before shots.

My wife loves our cats, but isn't as 100% crazy invested as I am. When I am home I am definitely the primary feeder, tester, and shot-giver. Unfortunately though, I have a job where I'm away for 24 hours at a time twice a week. This means she is responsible for the 2 shots that day, and might miss one if she forgets. She isn't willing to do the BG testing as I am.

Today he peed on our (brand new) couch... We have some major life changes upcoming that will add a lot of joy (and stress) to our life (if you get my drift). She doesn't need the additional stress of major cat care. This time I can't fight the battle, I agree with her. We just can't give our boy the care he deserves.

The people I talk to tell me that no-one will take in a diabetic cat because of the shots. What are my options here? It will absolutely tear me apart to give him to a shelter or adoption agency. Just the not knowing what happens to him will destroy me. The suggestion I've been given by friends is to put him down... but he's young and otherwise healthy, would a vet even do that? Do you know of re-homing services in Ontario, Canada? People who would be willing and able to take care of a diabetic cat? I want someone who will care for him as much as I do. He is such an amazing friend.

Help? I'm at the end of my rope here.

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Contact Diabetic Cats In Need....they can post him and try to find him a new home (but it can take a long time)…...but it only takes 1 person seeing him and saying they have to have him!!

This is their Facebook page-- DCIN...send them a message

Here's their website if you don't have Facebook-- DCIN website

In the meantime, have you had him looked over at the vet? Urinary Tract infections are very common in diabetic cats due to the sugar in their urine and that's a very common reason for cats peeing where they shouldn't.

Also, try Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract kitty litter.....it can really help.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
    Barbara & Uncle (GA) likes this.
  3. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

What a hard situation you find yourself in. See that handsome NOW 'little old man' as my avatar? I adopted him already diabetic at 12 years old back in 2013! He's now 17 1/2 years old still enjoying life. People DO adopt diabetic cats - there's quite a few of them here. Contact 'Diabetic Cats In Need' at www.dcin.info - they will post him for you - many hundreds of us follow DCIN's posts and there are many success stories.

If you happen to be on Facebook, they have a very active page there too.

@Olive & Paula - when Paula sees this and posts, you can see HER diabetic adopted kittygirl, Olive.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  4. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Hello, welcome. By all means people do adopt diabetic cats. I am one of them. In fact the little sweety to the left is my 2nd. She's from Quebec. I'm in Pennsylvania. She was driven down by relay volunteer transporters arranged by DCIN mentioned above. Knew nothing about her except she was diabetic. I actually was trying to adopt another that didn't work out and then Olive came through the DCIN page. I didn't want my experience with FD to go to waste and so many are "lost" because of diabetes. Rehoming will take time. It takes the right person, seeing kitties post at the right time.

My 1st was my parents cat. He was 16 yrs old and a mess. I had him until he was 18 1/2. He use to pee everywhere and I just had all new carpeting put in. A lot of it was because he wasn't regulated. Some of it was because of behaviour issues and preferences. With due diligence you can turn it around but it takes time, patience and dedication on your part.

What you can do now in the meantime is put out more boxes, get some Cat Attract and sprinkle some in the boxes. Put puppy pads around box. Smokey used puppy pads until the neuropathy went away. He couldn't physically get in and out without discomfort. Scoop immediately once kitty used it. Diabetes causes large urine output. Sometimes it doesn't get soaked up by the litter and kitty won't step in a puddle or gooey litter to use it.

Making sure they get their insulin on time without fail. really have to get strict with that. Increasing dose when indicated by one of the protocols. I worked when I took Smokey, I would confine him to a spare room when I was at work so he couldn't just go where he pleased. Its not the ideal answer but it was the only thing I could do. Eventually he improved and stopped.

Maybe set alarm on phone so she doesn't forget it maybe you can text her a reminder.

It will take time, but people do adopt diabetic kitties.

5. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Ana & Frosty (GA) Well-Known Member

I adopted a known diabetic cat, and I had no experience taking care of a cat with any medical issues before at all. Sadly, he isn’t doing great right now, but it’s not from his diabetes - he happens to have a lot of concurrent medical issues that are unrelated to it. I’ve had him for 9 months though and have been able to give him a good life. I love him so much, even though he pees out of the litter box about half the time. We just deal with it.

I bought rubber mats to put in front of the litter box and a lot of the time it will catch the pee if he can’t get in the box for whatever reason. I got them at marshals super cheap and they work so well! I wish I got more. Puppy pads also work. I clean the boxes daily and put fresh litter in it bc I’m not around during the day since I work. At times frosty needs to be confined to one room as well, like if he’s sick, and he does just fine. It’s better than giving him away.

Rardito likes this.
  6. TorontoCatGuy

TorontoCatGuy New Member

Thank you all very much for taking the time to reply. Feel/felt very alone and crazy, and your support was really helpful. He is my first pet and I never knew I'd get so damn attached. 32 year old man crying over a diabetic cat, lol...

I have contacted DCIN (thank you for the tip!) and will see if we can find the right home for him. I am willing to drive pretty much anywhere to get him in the right hands, so that's helpful. I've had an amazing 7+ years with Taco and I know in the right setting he's probably got another 10 to go.

All the best to you and your cats as well.

Dyana likes this.
  7. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Have you talked to your vet about maybe trying Prozac? Have you tried feliway diffusers? cat attract litter? Adding several extra boxes? Are the back legs weak making it harder to squat in the box? Have you tried puppy training pads? If it's a covered box take the cover off it. Put aluminum foil on furniture toy want to keep him off. Keep confined to a small room for a while until he's restrained.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.