we need to make the switch from Lev to Lantus

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Michele&Molly, Mar 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michele&Molly

Michele&Molly Member

Hi everyone!

My name is Michele (feels like i should say "and i'm an alcoholic", ha!) and my baby Molly has been diabetic for what feels like a million years (it's been 6 years). We started with PZI (do they still even call it PZI?) but quickly switched over to Levemir. She has been using Lev for prob 5 years. Note sure if my signature will include the goggle docs data - if it does, just know that i haven't updated it in quite some time. I have spent countless hours here on the boards making fabulous friends and receiving love, support, and valuable advice. I will be honest to admit that it embarrasses me that i have been away for so long.

I am being faced with the challenge of having to switch Molly from the trusted Lev to the uncharted territory (uncharted for me) to Lantus. I have a co-worker whose husband has recently switched it using a pump and she have me 5 lantus carts (in the pen). I have had them, stored properly, in the fridge while we finished off our supply of Lev. There's only a small amount left and the I cannot put off the switch any longer.

I am open to advice, knowledge, between the two and anything you can offer about making the switch. I debated posting on Lantus, and am not opposed to doing so, just figured I'd get my feet wet by coming back to 'home'.

Thanks in advance, Michele (and Molly too of course).

2. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Hi Michele & Molly,

Just curious but why are you switching from Lev to Lantus; there are not many going that path and frankly, the trend has been for many to switch from Lantus to Lev and seeing very good improvements.

Is it to use the Lantus insulin or are you having issues with the Lev?

ETA:
    When switching from Lantus to Lev, it's advised to give 70% Lev in the initial dose, so 5u Lantus would switch at 3.5u Levemir, then go from there if needed.
    I would guess going the other way, you could switch the same dose but watch for the need to increase the dose.

One of my cats did NOT like Lantus when I tried a test, to switch her from Lev to Lantus. Once I went back to Lev, she was herself again.
    Also you will need to watch for an earlier nadir and more extremes, highs and lows, with Lantus.

3. Michele&Molly

Michele&Molly Member

THe only reason we're switching (we love lev) is because a co-worker gave me 5 carts of lantus - her husband was using Lantus but switched to the pump. I order my Lev from Canada and it's quite a lot of money for the 5 carts so we figured since we were given the Lantus, we'd give it a try. I hope I'm not making a mistake.

Thank you for responding, Michele

4. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

what about swapping with someone?

you can give it a try but keep an eye on how molly reacts, her numbers will need to be recorded so you can watch for trends and for an increased need of the dose. My cat became very tense on Lantus.

5. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

Maybe contact Venita on DCIN and ask if she can assist in some sort of swap. I understand about free insulin, but I'd hate for Molly to loose her stability with a switch if she has been doing well on lev all along.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.