weaning off lantus

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Dhk, May 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dhk

Dhk Member

Hi, my cat is presently on 1 unit of lantus twice daily. How do I wean her off of it? ie: do I reduce .25u every 3 DAYS or weekly?

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Why are you weaning her off of it? Do you think she's gone into remission?

Without knowing how she's doing, it's hard to advise you, but generally speaking, what we suggest is that you reduce the dose by .25 and if they can stay in normal numbers for a week, you reduce another .25 and start another week until they're down to only .1 unit twice a day before starting an OTJ trial

You don't want to rush it. Cats that have strong remissions are more likely to stay in remission

3. Dhk

Dhk Member

thanks

4. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

Are you hometesting? If so, if you can give us any test results we could help you figure out what's going on and whether your kitty is ready to go off of insulin or not.

Unless you have some test results that show she is "done" with insulin, I wouldn't consider stopping it.

While it's true that some newly diagnosed cats can have their pancreas heal and the cat can become diet-controlled and go into remission, often cats need insulin for the rest of their lives. If she needs it and doesn't get it, she could get extremely sick (and have a crisis) from not having it.

Tell us a little more and we'll be able to be more help to you better.

And welcome!

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

If you have got some glucose tests, from home testing or the vet, that will give us an idea of if the dose can be reduced safely.

Some other things which can clue you in to your cat's health are in my signature link Secondary Monitoring Tools. Take a look at those and tell us about any of them you observe, especially, dehydration, and food and water intake and output. While they are non-specific indicators of health or problems, they may alert you to issues that need management.

6. Dhk

Dhk Member

I cannot downoad the spread sheets.

7. Chris & China (GA)

Do you have a Google account? You do have to register for that

Here are Instructions on getting the FDMB spreadsheet but if you continue to have trouble, please let us know! There are several of us that can set it up for you and then transfer it to your ownership (it takes all of about 30 seconds so don't think you're asking us to do anything hard!!)

8. Dhk

Dhk Member

I have tried. That would be great if someone could transfer it to me. Appreciated

9. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

10. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

I'm definitely not a spreadsheet guru. I know @Chris & China is having some internet problems, but perhaps she'll be able to help tomorrow.

I don't think you are downloading anything, however. Google docs are online, so I *think* if you have internet you ought to be able to open up the Google spreadsheet doc and use it online.

11. Chris & China (GA)

Sending you a Private Message....Look along the top right for your "Inbox" where you'll find it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.