Webber and his trip to vet---did not happen

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by paige, Dec 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paige

paige Well-Known Member

OMG! Over the years I have come to be a firm believer in "signs" and "things happen for a reason".

Last night I was testing the new strips that I got for our glucometer (we have been using this one on Webber but had ran out of strips) we found that they were defective. Went through about 10 of them testing myself, my husband, the control solution etc. The strips just would not suck up the blood! I accepted this and decided I will return them and get a new lot# today.

This morning as I was geting Webber ready to go to the vet I dropped the medicine box that held the vial of Lantus. And guess what??? It broke and I lost the entire vial of insulin.

So.....now I definitely have a reason to call all over today and try to get the free vials filled before tomorrow.

I see both of these things as a sign that we should not be going to the vet (at least not today) for his first injection and curve. I am going to speak with the vet later today and see if I can just start him on my own at home where he will be at peace.

2. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Those are a couple pretty strong signs.

3. Amy and Six

Amy and Six Well-Known Member

Yay for Webber and you!

Funny how things work, isn't it?

Good luck with testing and getting Webber on insulin. Caution is key!

4. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

I started Bandit at home, with my vet's direction, and as long as you're home testing you should do just fine! I'm very glad I started him at home instead of the vet's office; he gets very stressed out going to the vet. When I told my vet that I felt uncomfortable giving Bandit his first shot away from home (I didn't want him to start by associating the insulin shot or home testing with the car ride or vet visit), she had me come in by myself and showed me how to do the shot (with saline) and ear prick on their resident kitty who lives in the office. It definitely helped ease my anxiety before I did it myself, because I realized how easy the injection was.

Good luck on getting your free Lantus today! I'm so glad I did, because the pens have worked out better for me than the vial (which went bad before I even used a quarter of it). I was able to get mine the same day I got the script, so you shouldn't have any problems. Most of the chain drug stores (CVS, Walmart, Target) can fill it for you right away. And hey, it's over $200 worth of free insulin that should last you about 5 months.

I think everything is going to work out great for you. Keep us posted on how things work out today!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.