Wednesday's numbers are climbing. :(

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by alexia&wednesday, Jan 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexia&wednesday

alexia&wednesday Member

Hi,

My cat has been diabetic since 11/24/09 when she went into DKA and was found to have pancreatitis.
    Her numbers were great after she left the hospital and was on 1u BID. I don't have a chart, but basically she was about 270 pre-dose, and then about 115 at nadir.
    A few weeks after this stability, her numbers climbed, mostly due to a non-diabetic diet she needed to be on because she was vomiting (i think it was because she hated the diabetic dry food, and was refusing to eating wet food), and we needed to convince her to eat with the ID diet from Hills.
    Anyway, when she was on that diet her numbers were about 375-400 pre-dose, but she was pretty much flat-lining through the day when I would test her BG. It seemed that her numbers NEVER decreased significantly: 375 pre-dose, then 325 or so at nadir, back to 375 at her second pre-dose.

Now, she has been off this diet for a few weeks. She is still about the same. I have increased her dose to 2u BID and her numbers still are consistently high.
    Recently, I have started giving her 2.5U BID, and that has started to drop her down a little, into about 300 pre-dose. But, that is not consistent...though it is becoming more so the last 2 days.

Can someone help me: WHY are her numbers climbing, despite being on a good diet (wellness grain free, with evo dry food for snacks)?
    I really don't like increasing her dose, I feel like it means she is failing, and I was hoping her DM would go into remission!
    I feel really upset about this. I hate the idea that she could be diabetic for life...

Thanks!

- Alexia & Wednesday

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

3. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Hi Alexia,

I agree with Sue, wet low carb food is the best you can give.
    Might be an idea to post again here saying what insulin you are using as well as then cross posting in the relevant Insulin support group.
    Different insuins have different methodologies (except Lantus/Lev their pretty similar in terms of dosing and action)

If your using a long acting like Lantus/Levemir your looking for a breakthrough dose. Often initially you get a good response and then numbers continue to climb.

Your vet was spot on prescribing 1u as a start.
    On this board we tend to increase in increments of .25u to limit the possibility of missing the ideal dose.

If your looking at trying remission, Lantus and Levemir seem to be showing the best results.Some kitties though will not achieve this and in that case you are looking to maintain in non-diabetic numbers for as much of the day as possible so your kitty continues to have a happy healthy life.

Keep asking any questions, there's a wealth of information and support available on the board. :smile:

4. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

cross posted in Lantus forum

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3252

could u confirm for others , that you are using lantus or levemir?

5. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Is there any possibility of infection?

6. alexia&wednesday

alexia&wednesday Member

she is on lantus.

i will post more info soon. don't think it is an infection, these numbers have been like this for months now....

7. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Hi Alexia,

I know it can be time consuming, but if you could set up a spreadsheet and input all the numbers you have (any useful info on behaviour, medications given that sort of stuff) we can try and help you work out what's happening.

If you get chance I'd try and read the stickies in the Lantus ISG, maybe some helpful pointers in there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.