Weeble PMPS 64 +1 (50) +1.75 (49)+ 2.5 (64) +3 (60) +4 (72)

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by weeble, Aug 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. weeble

weeble Member

She's spent most of the day without dry food, which I still let her free-feed at night. But this is generally her low time. She's at .25 u.

My post from earlier (what does condo mean?): viewtopic.php?f=9&t=23416

2. Amanda

Amanda Member

Re: Dosage help--PMPS 58

I am no expert, but I would have skipped tonight's dose because you're lacking the data you would need to shoot that safely. I see that you were trying to wait for 5 days before you began testing to get more accurate numbers...DON'T! Every number tells you something. If possible, get a curve tomorrow (BG testing every 2 hours from AM to PM). If your dose changes, or you suddenly have changes in numbers try to get a curve, followed by frequent spot testing for a few days and then another curve about a week later to see if things are still stable.

Also- your dry food will throw your numbers off. It stays in the system for much longer than the wet food. You might get more stable numbers overall if you nix it completely.

3. weeble

weeble Member

Re: Dosage help--PMPS 58 +13 63

Yeah. Skipped the shot. Kind of a drag. Thanks for replying. It's always more unpleasant making these decisions alone.

I know the dry's a bummer, but we're slowly weaning her off. Very slowly. She (and her crazy tummy) are not fond of food changes--especially to canned food...

4. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

hi Amanda

a condo is another word for thread here in Lantus Land.
    Lantus Land Slang Dictionary

When you can, start a new condo for saturday and do the same link of last nite's condo as you did here.

Post early if you need help.

5. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Here is your thread of Condo from yesterday: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=23482
    I think you linked to Thursday's in your first post today.

We usually have one condo for each kitty per day. So you may come back and use this one later...just change the header to show the AMPS, okay?

6. weeble

weeble Member

8/28 Weeble AMPS 165 & Question about PM shot

Yesterday http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=23416

Hi everyone. Sorry for blowing the condo thing yesterday--still trying to get a hang of the protocol...

Unless I haven't posted this in the right place, you can see the 58 PMPS from 8/27 and resulting decision to skip the shot. All the data I have on my girl says that her nadir comes around the 12th and 13th hour--so I think I may get a similar number tonight. Since I'm lacking enough data in the evening/early AM hours, I'm unsure of what to do.

Have a great Saturday!

7. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Re: 8/28 Weeble AMPS 165 & Question about PM shot

hi amanda! weeble (love the name!) is doing great! looks to me like she'd be diet controlled if the dry were out of the picture. happy to see you're working in that direction.

it looks like weeble may be a late nadir kitty... which only means you'll end up shooting weeble on numbers lower than most newbies do. i'd grab a couple of spot checks today if you can and then post her pmps number before shooting. it'll be interesting to see what this morning's dose does after last night's skipped shot.

8. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Will you be able to get any test today at all?
    Can you post the +11 number later and put the dose question in your header? That way, someone will be able to look at her SS and figure out the shot tonight with you.
    Any numbers you can get today would be helpful....

9. weeble

weeble Member

Will try to get some numbers today. I will post with the +11 for sure--looks like the PMPS is a little late in the game being on the west coast and giving the shot at 9:30 PM. That said, I'm really trying to stuff down my excitement over the AMPS 165 with no shot and free-fed dry overnight...

Oh, man--she's begging for dry again. How is that the saddest sound in the world? Sometimes I wish my cat was less adorable. It would be for her own good.

10. Jill & Alex (GA)

lol! what's going on with weeble IS exciting!
    it took almost 4 months for me to transition one of my civvies from dry food to wet, so i understand and really feel for you.
    be patient and persistent. it WILL pay off!

11. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

Hi, another west coaster here, just a little further north. Boy, shooting at 9:30 is late even for us on the west coast. Is that a good time for you or did circumstances dictate the time? Next time you have to skip a shot you can adjust the time to when you want. Has anyone talked to you about earned reductions in dose?

I was lucky and Tess was easy to transition, but getting them off dry is really important. Not only will it help lower the BG, it is better for her kidneys, flushes out crystals and helps digestion issues. Cats don't drink enough to make up for the lack of moisture in dry food and it causes all kinds of problems. Most of us even add water to the canned food.

Does she like cooked chicken? That might be something that will help get her interested.

12. weeble

weeble Member

Ha! You think that's late--I originally started at 11 & 11, but when I was taking her into the vet I had to scooch up the time. My days start late and end late and I have an EPI dog (we don't have good luck with the pancreas in this house) that drives everyone nuts if he doesn't get his walk tout suite (and to avoid the heat). In other words, 9:30 works really well around these parts.

Yes, and I've studied that sticky everyone's SS thoroughly. Otherwise I wouldn't have been so disappointed by the skipped shot. But are you seeing something I screwed up? Wouldn't be surprised...

She's on a single, novel protein diet of duck. Since she never ate enough of the canned, I actually started feeding her cooked duck ($!) breast--this is perhaps the only place I'm not embarrased to come out and say that. I guess I should be glad I didn't pick buffalo or kangaroo.

13. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

No screw up, just wondered w/ the 39. I didn't see any advisors mention it, that's usually a decrease number. I was wondering if I missed it or if they are waiting till tonight.

Weeble is looking good! :thumbup cat_pet_icon

14. Jill & Alex (GA)

i'm sorry, if there's a recent 39 on this dose, i certainly did miss it. although, i still don't see it on weeble's spreadsheet.
    help a blind lady out with the date, please. :lol:

15. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Jill, Weeble's SS isn't updated after this morning...but AUSTIN had a 39 this morning...there weren't TWO kitties with that magic number today, were there? I missed it too then....I don't think it was Weeble though...

16. weeble

weeble Member

Re: 8/28 Weeble AMPS 165 +3.5 43 (?!)

The magical mystery cat continues to surprise. This is very unexpected. She ate a couple tbs. of wet (refuses to eat anymore) and has been begging for dry. Should I cave on the dry for the moment because of the #?

UPDATE--gave her a tbs of dry; too much worrying. she acts so normally at these numbers and traditionally goes down all day...

17. Jill & Alex (GA)

don't worry about the dry. we don't know if she'll continue dropping through this cycle because of last night's skipped shot, but better to be safe than sorry.
    retest @ +4 please...

18. Ronnie & Luna

Hi Amanda

just a little note,,,the 43 on your ss for +3.5 should be in green, not blue.

how's Weeble doing?

19. Jill & Alex (GA)

Re: 8/28 Weeble AMPS 165 +3.5 43 +4 48

+4 48
    do you think you can get her to eat a few bites of wet food now?

20. weeble

weeble Member

Woops, thanks, changed the color. She seems perfectly fine. Which is good for my mental status but not helpful generally. She's 48 as of +4.

I'm wondering if I should put out more dry. She's a pretty good judge of when she needs food and she's not a binger by any stretch--she really only eats a tbs at a time or so. Not that I'm going to give up on the transition or anything, but maybe I should dial it back to where I was the day before yesterday (dry grazing from 12-3 or so) just to be safe.

Just read this:
    I tried and she wasn't having it. My only other option besides the dry is the duck. Part of my leaning toward the dry is that she doesn't eat more than a tbs at a time, regardless of what it is. So I don't know that the teaspoon or 2 of duck she eats is going to have enough oomph. But I don't know. This is all assuming she follows her usually downward slope throughout the day...

21. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

If you give the duck, add a drop or two (literally) of Karo. Using syrup to bump up numbers in a kitty with IBS or food allergies works quite well.

22. Jill & Alex (GA)

if you feel the need to dial it back, please do so. we want you to be comfortable with any decisions.
    however, i don't know if anyone has mentioned this to you...
    when kitty is in lower numbers and you're trying to bump them up with food, feeding wet food will bump them up faster than feeding dry food. dry food takes longer to "kick in", but the effects of dry food will last longer.

the point i'm trying to make is when numbers are extremely low and you want to bump them up quickly... reach for canned high carb food. squeezing out the gravy from a canned high carb food and letting her lick the gravy works just as well.

just had another thought, if push comes to shove, you could always squeeze some gravy from hc food onto her kibble. you may have tried that already...

scratch that. i just remembered about weeble and IBD.
    cheryl's suggestion to use karo with the duck is more appropriate for weeble.

23. weeble

weeble Member

Thanks for that. I forgot in my spazz-out. Going to resist the urge and go for the duck and wait until the dry has a chance to do its thing. I'm thinking I may have to lower the dose this evening anwyay.

The wet high-carb food I'm going to put off for the moment. Any new food really does a number on her digestion, she can't even have any treats. On top of that, she's ridiculously picky when it comes to wet food. If it's dry, she'll eat anything, anytime; the wet she'll taste 1 in 15 and only when she's in the mood (just to emphasize her pickyness--she won't eat any Fancy Feast). So it's not a reliable source for us in emergencies.

The Karo--I think I need to get me some of that. She likely wouldn't eat it on anything, but it is the kind of thing she would eat off my finger.

Off to wrastle with the new duck breast (the things vegetarians do for their pets)!

24. Jill & Alex (GA)

karo, syrup, honey... any of these will do.
    here's a link to a pic of 0.1 unit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/29764149@N02/2783154839/

stay on top of the numbers today. they could still bobble up and down for awhile.
    i'd retest at 4.5. i'm looking for the dry food to kick in and boost her numbers...

25. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

Re: 8/28 Weeble AMPS 165, +3.5 43, +4 48, +5 68

+5~68 better! You can wait an hour to test again. :smile:

26. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Re: 8/28 Weeble AMPS 165, +3.5 43, +4 48, +5 68

Any updates?

27. weeble

weeble Member

Re: 8/28 Weeble AMPS 165, +3.5 43, +4 48, +5 68, +7 139

Huh. Ok. Not sure what to say except I'm glad I resisted the urge to put more dry food down. She ate some duck 1/2 hour before the test. *Edited to add that my neighbor came home right as I was heating her ears which caused the dog to bark like the crazy man that he is (Weeble does not enjoy this sort of lowly behavior). Don't know if it's a factor, but I thought I'd throw it out there...

What say you all to cutting her ears a break until +11? It's cooled down again and it takes 10 minutes to heat her ears and a couple lancets and sometimes strips to get enough blood. I will, of course, test in the name of success, but it's not easy with her and her ears are pretty irritated.

Amanda

28. Ronnie & Luna

How about a +9 and a +11? :mrgreen:

You're doing so well Amanda! Glad you stuck around.

29. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

i'm a newbie with no advice, but if you get to feeling silly cuz of condo mistakes, etc...just know that i have made them constantly and everyone here is extremely patient, helpful and knowledgeable. And if it's 'weeble' cuz they wobble but dont fall down...that's a great name! binks motto is "fall down 7 times, get up eight!"

good luck!

Celi & binks

30. weeble

weeble Member

Re: Weeble AMPS 165, +3.5 43, +5 68, +7 139 + 11 57--PM Dose?

Looking like yesterday again. 8 PM Evo (she ate about a tbs.)

Decrease to .1 or a drop?

A little nervous about this one.

31. Libby and Lucy

get the +12 test and we'll see where he is.

Did you see the picture Jill posted of what 0.1 looks like? It's really just a drop, you might want to practice squirting it out on a piece of paper so you can be sure there's actually some insulin coming out.

32. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

And, no matter what the dose is, if Weeble is still in this vicinity numbers-wise, you've got to get at minimum, a +1 and a +2.

33. weeble

weeble Member

Re: Weeble AMPS 165, +11 57, PMPS 64 Going to shoot .1

Okay. Going for it. Fingers crossed! She ate another tbs of Evo at 9pm...

34. Libby and Lucy

get a +1 please.

35. weeble

weeble Member

Will do.

36. weeble

weeble Member

Re: Weeble PMPS 64 +1 50

She had a litte duck at 10. I usually put the overnight dry out about now. I should mention she's a very delicate grazer--teaspoon here, teaspoon there. I put 1/3 cup in the bowl and in the morning there's almost always some left over.

I obviously need to test again at +2. But here's the thing I need some guidance on--should I keep waiting to see what happens or put the food out now? She's getting a bit ornery about the testing and would like to see a safer number before I'm off to bed.

Thanks for the late-night assistance. And boy am I glad these numbers popped up during the weekend...

37. Libby and Lucy

I would give her some food, she doesn't need to drop lower. Do you have Temptations, or Pill Pockets, or some kind of treat that is higher carb? I know some people whose cats wouldn't eat wet have used Pill Pockets before. They have some corn syrup in them. It would be good to get something into her that will work faster than dry. What do you have?

38. Jill & Alex (GA)

or a little syrup/karo/honey could be added to some of the duck...

39. Libby and Lucy

good plan, honey added to duck. I see that it worked earlier today.

40. weeble

weeble Member

She can really only eat the dry as a high-carb. Anything else her body treats as an invading force that you can hear her stomach fighting off a mile away. She had just eaten some duck, too, so hopefully she'll have some faster-acting back-up.

It's funny--I don't know why I didn't put it out right away and considered holding it for a while. I guess that's what happens when you go from thinking 275 is a great number to being disappointed by a 110 within 5 days. My brain still hasn't put all the pieces together I guess.

41. Libby and Lucy

please test at +1.5. I don't know that plain duck would raise her #, it's probably zero carb. Dry takes too long to kick in.

42. weeble

weeble Member

Ok. I'll go check her now.

I just remembered--I have some Catsip. Probably not the best for her stomach either, but that would likely do the trick, right?

43. Libby and Lucy

Re: Weeble PMPS 64 +1 (50) +1.75 (49)

sorry, I didn't see your update, it didn't show the new message icon. Does that have sugar in it? If so, then yes, give some of that and test in 15 minutes.

44. weeble

weeble Member

Sorry--I can't find it (the catsip). I know it's here somewhere...

45. Libby and Lucy

what did you feed after the 49, just dry food?

It has probably been 1/2 hour, please tests again.

46. weeble

weeble Member

Re: Weeble PMPS 64 +1 (50) +1.75 (49) + 2.5 (64)

Well, the Catsip eluded me, but I was able to get her to lick the smallest bit of honey off her paw about 10-15 minutes ago. Don't know if it was that or the dry kicking in, but that's a much less stressful number.

Thanks for holding my hand through this...

47. Libby and Lucy

Re: Weeble PMPS 64 +1 (50) +1.75 (49)+ 2.5 (64)

much better. How about one more test at +3? We don't know when Weeble's nadir is, and a lot of times they keep going up and down until nadir. I'd like to see a bigger rise before you go to sleep.

48. weeble

weeble Member

Re: Weeble PMPS 64 +1 (50) +1.75 (49)+ 2.5 (64) +3 (60)

Ugh. I guess 1:30 will (hopefully) be my curtain call tonight. Does this mean she moves from .1 to "some"?

49. Libby and Lucy

Actually the action on tonight's dose is probably just due to shed action from the 0.25 you shot this morning. Usually we don't do reductions again on the first cycle after a reduction. Are you home again tomorrow? I think the best plan is to wait and see what happens the rest of this cycle, and what the AM number is, and decide whether to hold this dose or try for less.

50. Libby and Lucy

do you have another test yet?

51. weeble

weeble Member

A head-to-bed number! Guess I'll make the dosing decision with the AMPS post. Can't give enough thanks for all of your help. Have a good night.

52. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

What a night you had. Get some good sleep.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.