Weezer's peak bg higher than preshot

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Linda for Weezer, Aug 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linda for Weezer

Linda for Weezer Well-Known Member

I have a thread going in the health board that may be better addressed here. Weezer is on Humulin A. Here is my question of the morning:

Last night, 4 hours after her shot Weezer's bg was 220. This morning it is 188. Does anyone have any ideas about why the peak number would be higher than her preshot number? She is due for her AM shot in about 45 minutes and I am wondering if I should decrease to 3 or 3.5? She seems fine. She has actually been eating all canned now, but a bit less, more like normal, not haunting her food dish. And her urine output has greatly decreased. I am measuring the output instead of consumption because she likes to play in the water and drinks from the faucet whenever she can, so intake is harder to measure. Any suggestions?

Here is link to her spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... n_US#gid=0

I need to find out how to put the link in my signature.

2. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Sorry, I don't know that insulin at all, but I can speak to the numbers.

I think if your cat has a late nadir, or responds slowly to the insulin, the +4 could be higher than the next ps.

My Oliver often is still rising at +4 but that's OK for him because around +6, he starts to drop down as his nadir is usually around +11 or even at ps. .... his curve looks like a mountain, not like a valley.

3. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

I can't answer your question but I must ask....Humulin A or N? We're struggling to make Humulin N to work for KT. We're about to give up on it and change to Lantus. Your spreadsheet link got truncated so I can't see it. KT's is in my signature but we're still trying to regulate. I know there's a post in Tech that explains how to put it there....I don't remember.... :oops:

4. Linda for Weezer

Linda for Weezer Well-Known Member

Weezer is on N. Good luck with KT. Was he recently diagnosed?

5. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes, in July. My vet knows all the basics of diabetes and treats diabetic cats but just has experience with Humulin N. Also no one he's treated has home tested and discussed it enough with him for him to see they're seriously treating it....until me. He didn't encourage it in our initial discussions.

I asked him for script for Lantus, he looked it up first, we discussed how I plan to approach it, that I'll continue my ssheet and do at least a mini curve 5-6 days after starting it. Now he's much more onboard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.