? Weight Reduction without Prescription Food?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jack the Cat, Jun 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack the Cat

Jack the Cat Member

My neighbor has a now 19 pound cat, Hendrick who they have on Hill's Prescription Metabolic food. The cat has lost 6 pounds this year. But in looking at the food on the Cat Food Analysis it seems to me to be high in fat and carbohydrates.

I've asked my neighbor to contact Hill for an analysis of the specific food they feed, but am wondering if anyone in the community has been able to get weight reduction without the use of prescription foods and if so, what would you recommend.

Neighbors are watching me deal with Jack the Cat and his diabetes, so want to do anything possible to avoid diabetes in Hendrick.

Thank you.

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

When China was diagnosed, I put all my cats on canned low carb foods. Both my civvies (that needed to lose weight) lost the extra "fluff" and look better than ever.

They continue to eat plain old Friskies pates

3. CandyH & Catcat

CandyH & Catcat Well-Known Member

look at pages 62 and 63 of Dr Lisa Person's food chart -- http://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf

I see several varieties of the Hill's prescription metabolic food there

also read Dr Lisa's posting on overweight cats: https://catinfo.org/feline-obesity-an-epidemic-of-fat-cats/

Catcat needs to gain weight not lose it -- was 10 pounds at diagnosis, now a little over 12, target is 14 (at least that's what he used to weigh)

hope members whose cats have lost successfully, chime in --

4. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

I agree that changing to a low carb canned food will not only reduce the weight, but also decrease the chances of developing FD. If your neighbor has multiple cats, changing all of diets would benefit all of them.

Amina&M'row and CandyH & Catcat like this.
  5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I helped my friend’s cat lose several pounds by switching to low carb canned food. He gets a little dry as a treat and went from 19 to 15 pounds. Tell your friend to get a digital baby scale as you want a slow weight loss.

Amina&M'row likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.