? Weird behavior. Extremely hungry and restless

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by LisaStew, Apr 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LisaStew

LisaStew Member

Bubby has been feeling quite a bit better these last couple days. Playing more and no miserable look on his face but tonight he acts like he is starving. He was eating wellness beef, venison, and lamb but didn't want that tonight so I gave him merrick limited ingredient salmon. He is acting like he's had 5 cups of coffee. He is playing and running around acting like a kitten but he keeps asking for food. I finally gave in and fed him some m/d dry just to see if it would fill him up and settle him down. Could it be a reaction to the food? His BG is still at 400 at +1 so that's about the same as usual. On Saturday he had a antibiotic shot for uti and started taking Pepcid AC. But tonight's behavior is very different. He just can't seem to sit still for more than a minute and he is begging for dry food.

2. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

No idea. I sort of doubt it's food related, but that comments not based on anything except my gut feeling. One thought is to not give that food again for at least a week, then try it again and see if you get a similar response or not.

It's a good thing to have him feeling good, though! That's awesome.

Per the SLGS dosing guide, you'd increase his dose tomorrow after a week at the 0.75u. His lowest point was over 150, which means a 0.25u increase.

3. LisaStew

LisaStew Member

We had a missed dose and a decreased dose this past weekend due to vomitting and loose stools. The vet suggested letting him feel better for 5 days then doing a curve at home before increasing to 1 unit. I need to update his spreadsheet he did get down to 168 yesterday at+5. Does the missed dose effect the SLGS protocol you follow on here?

4. LisaStew

LisaStew Member

Bubby seems to have settled down after over an hour of high strung behavior. He is sniffling and sneezing now. Hopefully not a delayed herpes flare up from the trip to the vet Saturday. Ugh.

5. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

On 0.75u dose, starting 3/20 you've got 13 cycles, then 11 cycles, then 10 cycles, each with an interruption where I've got a comma. In my opinion, there is more than enough evidence to suggest he needs a dose increase, even though you don't have a straight, consecutive 14 cycles. Nothing on the spreadsheet less than 150. I'd want to get his overall range lowered a bit if he were mine.

Willow likes this.
  6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I agree with Julie, you've had more than enough time on this does to know it isn't going to be enough insulin. Time to increase to 1.0 unit. I'd want to try to get those reds out of the spreadsheet, pinks too if possible. Kitties in high numbers want more food.

From the SLGS Sticky Note:
    After 1 week at a given dose perform a 12 hour curve, testing every 2 hours OR perform an 18 hour curve, testing every 3 hours:
    Note: Random spot checks are often helpful to "fill in the blanks" on kitty's spreadsheet.
    • If nadirs are more than 150 mg/dl (8.3 mmol/L), increase the dose by 0.25 unit
    • If nadirs are between 90 (5 mmol/L) and 149 mg/dl (8.2 mmol/L), maintain the same dose
    • If nadirs are below 90 mg/dl (5mmol/L), decrease the dose by 0.25 unit

Willow likes this.
  7. LisaStew

LisaStew Member

Thanks Julie. Yes I want to get his numbers down. Not sure why the diabetes vet is so hesitant I guess I don't need her to agree with me to go ahead and do it. I will sleep on it. Bubby is finally sleeping after his hunger crazed evening. So happy he's not crying for food anymore.

8. LisaStew

LisaStew Member

Thanks for this Wendy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.