Weird first curve and dosing advise

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Kris & Rasmus, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Kris & Rasmus

Kris & Rasmus Member

'morning all,

I did my first curve on Rasmus yesterday and the results are definitely a bit puzzling. He's on 1u. He was good as gold with me pricking his ears all the time but he did get a 100% natural freeze dried treat (tuna or chicken) every time I pricked him. He also had some extra chicken breast lunch around +6.5.

He goes out when he wants to and I'm suspecting he's gotten his paws on something during the night as this morning AMPS he is at 29.6! He's never been that bad before. It's worrying me.

I'd already agreed with my husband that we'd try him on 1.25u for a few cycles as the curve looks a little flat and he so I've just started that.

Any advice you can share would be great.

Happy Sunday!

2. Kris & Rasmus

Kris & Rasmus Member

Meh. Could this morning's AMPS indicate that he was bouncing?

Are the numbers from when he was on 1u actually OK? He's never hit lime green, mostly purple, a few yellows and reds, and a couple if blues. I know it's early days, he has only been on insulin for just 3.5 weeks.

Maybe I shouldn't have increased to 1.25 from today? I'll be checking him every 2 hours today I think.

3. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

I think most likely it's simply that Rasmus isn't getting enough insulin yet, and not a bounce. Although that 108 up at the beginning is a bit of a puzzle. How sure are you that the food you're giving him is low carb? Your signature just says "wet food" and some wet foods are quite high in carbs.

You'll also want to get a before-bed test in regularly. The PM cycle in many cats is quite different than the AM cycle and right now we can't see what's happening during the evening cycle. For example, my cat will often be in the 50's and 60's at night, but only in the low 100's during the day. If I didn't know how low he was at night, I would look at those AM numbers and raise his dose - and that would result in him having hypos at night. So getting at least something during the PM cycle is super important for keeping Rasmus safe.

4. Kris & Rasmus

Kris & Rasmus Member

Hi Djamila!

Rasmus is currently eating Felix As Good As It Looks (on the spreadsheet with UK foods) and I'm trying to transition him to a different food as the Felix AGAIL contains 'vegetable protein extract' and 'various sugars' which could be the culprit. He's pretty picky with the consistency of foods so all in good time.

I'm definitely going to do a couple of before bed shots and set my alarm to get up in the middle of the night as I still haven't really figured out his nadir. It's taken me two weeks to get him comfortable with me pricking his ears but now I can be much more on it.

The really low number at the very beginning is very odd, I agree and I totally understand about testing at different times is the best way to keep Rasmus safe.

If he hasn't been getting enough insulin at 1 unit, I'll be testing him at 1.25 for the next few cycles (I'm on the first cycle now) to see how he reacts. As I'm also trying to change his food, I want to be super careful and test often. Yes?

5. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Yes, as you change food you want to keep an eye on things. That can really affect BG so you want to be sure it isn't causing him to dive too low.

6. Kris & Rasmus

Kris & Rasmus Member

OK! I'll work from home so I can test every couple of hours. I need to get more data, also so I can determine nadir. Thanks for the advice!

7. Kris & Rasmus

Kris & Rasmus Member

Hi again!

I've collected some more data for Rasmus and I wonder if someone could take a look at his SS and advice what they think. I don't think 1.25u is working that well. Should I try him on 1.5 for a few cycles?

Thanks in advance for taking a look :)

8. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think it's time to increase the dose. He's not getting into good numbers though he IS getting a drop, so I'd go ahead and go up.

Djamila likes this.
  9. Kris & Rasmus

Kris & Rasmus Member

Thanks ladies! I haven't increased the dose yet because this morning when I tested him, he was lower than he has been. I've changed his food and it seems to have made an impact - hooray! It's still not a steep drop, but what's the thought when he is in the yellows and blues during the day/nadir? I'm going to test him tonight as well at +4 and +7 to get more data. If I get similar numbers as today, should I try the slight increase of 0.25u to 1.5u tomorrow morning, or stick with 1.25u for now? What are your thoughts?

10. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Yellows and high blues are still too high, so yes, I would do a little increase. You want him in the 68-150 range as much of the cycle as possible, and not rising more than around 220ish at the PS. It's a journey to get there and requires a lot of patience, but that's the direction you're heading.

Kris & Rasmus likes this.
  11. Kris & Rasmus

Kris & Rasmus Member

Thank you! I increased to 1.5u this morning, so will keep him on that for a few cycles and see how he reacts.

Rachel likes this.