Welcome Awirshing - here is your post

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Pam and Layla, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pam and Layla

Pam and Layla Member

quoteRe: Our first poll!
    by awirshing » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:57 pm

My cat is turning 15yrs in a month and was diagnosed 5 days ago. I am doing the home testing to make sure I do not give him too much insulin. I read in a web site the goal is to keep the Blood glucose level between 100 and 200. Is this correct?

Moved from poll topic - Pam

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Keeping the BG below 200 is a goal. However, getting it there depends upon the cat and the insulin being used. Having the BG go below 100 is also OK and desirable but you do not want to go below about 70 or so since there is risk of going too low.

Please tell us more about your kitty such as diet and insulin and dose being used.

3. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

However, while keeping the BG levels below 200 is a goal, until you really know how your cat responds to the dose, we do recommend to newbie not giving insulin if the BG levels are below 200. The reason we recommend this is to try to prevent a cat from becoming hypoglycemic.

If you ever are not sure if it is safe to give insulin, please ask at any time. There is almost always someone online that may be able to help you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.