Well Controlled - then not!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Vtambo & Rex, Jan 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vtambo & Rex

Vtambo & Rex Member

Hello - have a question - my 16yo male tabby has had diabetes for 2 yrs. he was well controlled on 1.5 U lantus 2x a day. numbers were consistently between 100 and 150. Was even able to skip once in a while when numbers were low. He also has kidney issues. Was feeding Whole Earth Farms Duck Pate and Whole Earth Farms Chicken Pate and once in a while Organix Turkey Pate and Organix Chicken Pate. lately though I think he was getting sick of the same foods all the time so I reviewed the food chart and found a few more options. had to bump up what I considered to be ok as far as carbs and phos content, but still for the most part carbs under 12 and phos under 205. my old standard was nothing above 10 carbs or 200 phos. I added in Wellness Healthy Choice turkey pate and one of the Halo kinds (I forget which one and I am out right now so cant look). also Pro Plan turkey here and there. for about the past 3 weeks his numbers have been up though. between 200 and close to 300. have not gotten to 300 yet, but 284 a few days ago. not sure what to make of this. there was a point where I had a hard time finding the Whole Earth Farms foods. I did contact the company and asked if they were changing their recipe and was told they were not, but now I am wondering if perhaps they did change their recipe. he has been back to eating those foods again after the "break", but is also still eating the others I mentioned. also since it has been about 2 years since the food chart came out is there a possibility that some of the info is no longer correct? that the company's may have changed recipes, or ??? just not sure what to do here. any suggestions?

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Yes, maybe the recipes changed. Insulin needs can change with time. Looking at your SS it appears that 2 units is too high since your sometime have to skip a dose because of low PS. Also, I see no recent BGs between shot. I thin between shot BGs would be very useful to fine out what is going on so you can get a dose that works well.

3. Vtambo & Rex

Vtambo & Rex Member

I regret to say that I have not updated the spreadsheet for quite some time. I do have a notebook that I keep for me to keep track, but never get the computer one done. I am not so much of a genius when it comes to that kind of stuff so it ends up taking too much time. if indeed the recipes have changed, then I am not sure how to proceed since I don't feel like I can really trust any of the info.... Maybe I should go to the Lantus board to see if this could be a pattern with that type of insulin.

I guess you are correct that I should be doing between shot testing. my boy DOES NOT LIKE testing even after all this time, although he is better about it. his ears look so sore right now and I find I am having a harder time getting blood out of them. its almost like they have somewhat "dried up". has anyone else had that??

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

On all my cats I have found that the ears bleed easier with time as the pokes make the ears develop more capillaries.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.