Well I'm back after six years.

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Barb and Tori, Apr 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barb and Tori

Barb and Tori Well-Known Member

Yes I"m back. Most of you won't have a clue who I am but I was a member for quite a few years and eventually lost my little girl Tori in 2011 to a very rare type of Lymphoma. So a couple of months ago I lost my soul kitty Rocky. He was almost 20 years old and he passed due to kidney disease The last few months have been reaally rough and both myself and my last kitty Malachi have been quite lonely. so last week my granddaughter and I went to see some senior kitties that were up for adoption. They had a 9 year old kitty there. They say he's a Burmese but to me he looks more like a Siamese or a Tonkinese. He's a diabetic on insulin. well I looked at him and fell totally in love. I had been thinking o fgetting a special needs kitty and the second I met him I knew he was the one and that Tori and Rocky sent him to me.

So he's been home now for a couple of hours. Poor little guy is scared to death of course and is hanging out in the basement. HE's on Lantus 4 units daily at night no less and is on a weight reduction dry food. Tonight I'm thinking of giving him 2 units just in case he doesn't eat well and some how I don't think he'll let me test him. I plan to get him on soft food as soon as possible and am going to get him in to see my vet as soon as I can.

What do you think? Does that sound like a plan for tonight? I really wasn't expecting to get him today as the lady just did her home visit this morning but they have another diabetic that needs a foster. I feel like a Newbie all over again. It's been such a long time.

I look forward to getting to know all of you.

Barb and Tori GA and now Tika

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome? back! I've been here almost 4 years and understand how these sugarcats can get under our skins!! Thank you for saving another one! I'm sure Tori and Rocky are smiling down at you from the Bridge saying "glad to see you were listening, mama!!"

Since he's still eating dry food, you'll have to stick with the "Start Low, Go Slow" method of dosing, and for cats on dry, we usually start them out at 1U

Better too high for now than too low....especially if he's not going to let you test him yet (which I understand....he's in a new place with new people....I wouldn't be really easy to get along with if you came at me with sharp objects either!)

You might want to scan over the SLGS method sticky to re-familiarize yourself

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Welcome back. Bless you for saving another diabetic kitty. Lucky Tika.

I agree with Chris, better be safe than sorry if you have no test data on him. And he might not eat as much in a strange place. Might want to make sure you test for ketones (if you can) with a big drop in dose though.

Tanya and Ducia likes this.
  4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

You've done a wonderful thing in taking in a diabetic senior kitty! :)

Andreea&Tilica likes this.
  5. Glennie

Glennie Member

Sorry for the recent loss of your soul kitty, Rocky, and Tori before that.

It's wonderful of you to give Tika a new home and a new chance at life, especially when you know the challenge of caring for a diabetic kitty. Big hugs to you for doing it! :bighug:

My kitty, Callie, was diagnosed in November of last year so I haven't been on here long, but they've been a lifesaver to both Callie and me. As you know the people on here are amazing, and I've gotten to meet people like you that knowingly give a home to a sugar kitty. More big hugs! :bighug:

I hope Tika is beginning to adjust to being in his new home. Bless your heart! :joyful:

6. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hey and Welcome back! And so sorry for your loss of your two babies. You are a special person to adopt a senior cat that is diabetic.

Do you know how long Tika has been DX diabetic?

7. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

BARB!!!! HI!!!!! WELCOME BACK!!!!!

WOOT WOOT! Anudder sweet sugar baby wif an experienced Mama!

HUGS and YARD DANCE!

8. Donna and Flame

Donna and Flame Well-Known Member

Hi Barb!
    I remember you! Flame and I were active back when you were here. Welcome back!! Bless you for taking another super sweet kitty into your home and heart!!
    Flame and I came back here in Dec. 2016 after 8 years in remission. I know what you mean about feeling like a newbie again. Unfortunately, I had to help Flame to the Bridge on Mar. 2. Aside from the diabetes, his kidneys weren't doing well, he had developed asthma that we couldn't seem to control and the final blow was restrictive cardiomyopathy. I still check in on our friends here even though I no longer have a sugar kitty.

In no time at all, you'll feel like an old pro again!! As they say, it's like riding a bike!! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

9. Glennie

Glennie Member

Barb, I was wondering how you and Tika are doing by now. I hope all is going well, and that he is settling in and getting comfortable in his new home. :bighug:

10. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

I am too new to give advise but just wanted to say hello and sorry you lost your soul kitty. Is that Rocky in the picture or Tika? Beautiful either way. I love calicoes, my soul kitty was a calico as well. Welcome back. Thank you for taking a special needs!!

11. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

Hello Donna and (GA) Flame. Hope you are doing well as can be expected! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.