Wellness canned cat food

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by drjsiems, Aug 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drjsiems

drjsiems Member

Someone on another board did a dry matter analysis on Wellness canned cat food and stated that the carbohydrate content was 27%! I was of the understanding that this food was a low carbohydrate, like about 4% for Chicken and Turkey varieties, a food good for diabetic cats and those in remission. Or am I not comparing apples to apples here. Is the 27% the carbohydrate content of just the dry matter where the 4% is the carbohydrate content of the whole (water included), the latter of which we give our kitties? If this is so, why would anyone want to know the carbohydrate content of dry matter only?

I sure hope I have been feeding Jake a 4% food rather than a 27% one! Can someone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks,
    Judy & Jake

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

I rely on Janet and Binky's food charts. http://www.felinediabetes.com/diabetic-cat-diets.htm Janet has figured the carb content for hundreds of foods and from the little I know, it's a complicated process.

From the charts, Wellness wet Canned Beef and Chicken, Chicken and Turkey is 4%. The highest Wellness canned on the charts is Sardines, Fish and Crab at 16%. Wellness dry (Core) is 11%. Wellness dry chicken and salmon is 26%.

3. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

Wellness posts their as fed values on their website. Wellness chicken canned. They do not include carbs so you need to use a little math to determine the percentage from the kcal/kg, but the grain-free varieties are definitely low carb.

4. Donna & Buddha

Donna & Buddha Member

Slightly off topic, but I was very excited to see it. My local PetSmart just started carrying Wellness canned food. And by "local" I mean an hour's drive. But still more accessible than it used to be.

5. skybar22

skybar22 Well-Known Member

I'm having a very hard time figuring the carbs. I think I get it and then it makes no sense. Could someone tell me how many carbs are in Wellness Core Chicken/Poultry canned? Here is what is on their website:

Guaranteed Analysis
    Crude Protein Not Less Than 12.0%
    Crude Fat Not Less Than 7.0%
    Crude Fiber Not More Than 0.5%
    Moisture Not More Than 78.0%
    Ash Not More Than 2.1%
    Magnesium Not More Than 0.028%
    Taurine Not Less Than 0.10%
    Fiber: 0.29%
    Met. Energy (Kcal/kg): 1,400
    Ash: 1.76%
    Magnesium: 0.02%
    Taurine: 0.14%
    Caloric Analysis (kcal/can)
    5.5 oz. 218

6. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

You can't use that information to calculate carb content. You need "as fed numbers", which can be obtained from the company but keep in mind some comapnies won't give out the as fed numbers. Janet's web site has info on why as fed numbers are used and how to calculate out the carbs: http://binkyspage.tripod.com/foodfaq.html

Someone on the old board was able to obtained the as fed numbers for Wellness CORE canned and calculated out the carbs: http://www.felinediabetes.com/phorum5/r ... sg-1363133

7. skybar22

skybar22 Well-Known Member

Thank you! Why do they say that the protein values are 50%? This gets very confusing. What was the point of this food since the fat is so high. I thought it was to increase protein. I have spent days trying to figure things out on various foods. Morgaine has rejected everything except Pro Plan Chicken and liver Adult and the Kitten Pro Plan of the same flavor. The kitten is her favorite but it does have some brewer's rice listed as the 7th or 8th ingredient. How do we know if these foods are still the same as when Janet did the charts? I have noticed some ingredient changes on some of them.

I am just going to hope that the Pro Plan flavors are okay for Morgaine as she is diet controlled. Both flavors have really low carbs on the chart. I will try the Wellness Core Chicken for a change of pace.

Thanks again for finding this info and posting it for me. I am truly exhausted from this process and now have tons of cat food to return to PetsMart. What an ordeal. Why does it have to be so hard to find healthy, high protein, low carb food for our babies who have diabetes?

8. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

For reasons that have to be idiotic many cat food manufacturers refuse to release as fed numbers, and they do have them. The industry requirements for both disclosure and labeling are atrocious. Write your congressman and senators to get laws passed for more transparency.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.