Wellness/ low carb food question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Nicole and Napoleon, May 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicole and Napoleon

Nicole and Napoleon Well-Known Member

Napoleon is currently eating Fancy Feast only. I wanted to give him some variety so I looked into Merrick and Wellness Core. The only thing that is throwing me with the Wellness Core is that it contains potato. Merrick and low carb Wellness have sweet potato, veggies. Has anyone found that this does not matter, does matter in their cat's BG numbers? I have Dr. H's book and it says to feed no vegetable, potato, etc. I don't want to take a chance cause I think we have found the right insulin dose for him and I don't want to try to fix what is not broken. Any info would be greatly appreciated ;-)

2. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

I feed Wellness canned Chicken and Turkey flavors - these do not have potatoes (I think...).

3. Jean and Megan

Jean and Megan Member

If I recall correctly, Dr. Lisa has said that the amount of veggies, etc, in Wellness or Merrick is tiny. Just enough for the company to be able to say truthfully that they are present (which lots of people think is a good thing, since fruits and veggies are good in human nutrition). My experience is not typical, since Megan is a transient diabetic, not a "real" diabetic, but when she recently had an elevated-glucose couple of days, Merrick (Grammie's Pot Pie) did not have an adverse effect on her. In fact, her BG went down into the 60s and stayed there while she was eating Merrick. (60s or even 50s is normal for her. She is not on insulin.)

4. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

What Jean said is correct, the amount in the food is so small, it is on the label but is not a factor. Baby is on a Raw Diet with Wellness canned as a supplement when I am at work since I cannot leave raw out. Baby is currently off the juice & in remission while eating these foods. You need to make sure you have the right Wellness canned though, Core, Chicken, Turkey, Chicken/Beef, Turkey/Salmon or Chicken Herring.

5. Nicole and Napoleon

Nicole and Napoleon Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone! Just wanted to get an idea before I gave it a try :smile:

6. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

I was also concerned about the potato in the Wellness Core, but it was a big hit with my Smokey so we keep feeding it with no stange BG numbers from it. There is a fairly recent thread on here on the numbers and the Chicken, Turkey, Liver one came to 7.7% carbs I believe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.