wellness pouch food, any idea on carb content?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Snoops mom, Jan 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snoops mom

Snoops mom Member

I noticed these new *wheat gluten free* Wellness Healthy Indulgence pouch cat food, that is currently on sale at Pet Food Direct (plus there is a site wide coupon code for 17% off)

The ingredients for one of the flavors I'm interested in,the Turkey and Duck, are:
    Ingredients: Turkey Broth, Chicken, Turkey, Chicken Liver, Duck, Egg Whites, Oat Fiber, Carrots, Sweet Potatoes, Natural Flavor, Guar Gum, Tricalcium Phosphate, Squash, Blueberries, Cranberries, Zucchini, ETC (more listed)

there's oat fiber, and a couple of starchy veggies (carrots and sweet potatoes)

so I am worried that the carb content may still be too high.

Has any one with a diabetic cat tried this food? if so, did you notice any increase in BGs?

thanks in advance and either way

2. Cyn and Cosmo

Cyn and Cosmo Member

their regular canned foods are low carb, but you can always email Wellness and ask them for their AS FED VALUES. (not dry matter or whatever).

The regular also has carrots and stuff, but my Cosmo eats it and has managed to stay (ANTIJINX) OTJ for about 18 months now. bcatrun_gif
    It would be a different story if those were the first few things listed on the ingredients list, but to be sure, i would contact the company.

sorry i couldn't be more helpful!

3. Carolyn and Spot

Carolyn and Spot Well-Known Member

Hi Al,

Haven't tried it, and the oat fiber alone would be enough to keep me away, plus I don't like to take the risk with fruits and vegetables.

How's that for "I don't know"? LOL

4. Snoops mom

Snoops mom Member

hmm, I think I should probably check the carb content of regular wellness

They will eat it, but they are not terribly fond of it.

Sometimes I think if I get them food they are not crazy about, maybe they'd eat less......??

That doesn't work for *me*, if I don't have something that satisfies my "taste buds" I'll just keep eating til I find something that does,
    unless I explode first, that is LOL

5. Carolyn and Spot

Carolyn and Spot Well-Known Member

LMAO doesn't work for me either. I'm considering giving my cats something they hate too, since I've had to clean the litterboxes 4 times since lunch :lol:

6. Snoops mom

Snoops mom Member

oh for heaven's sake, Healthy Indulgance foods ARE listed on the food charts, at least some of the flavors- They are not listed under Wellness, they are listed under, of all things Healthy Indulgance ohmygod_smile

LOL

well the carb content for the turkey and duck isn't too bad, 9 percent.

The main reason I don't give them Wellness, besides the price, is that you cant' add water to it to make a gravy, at least, not a gravy my cats like.

But I can add water to the Friskies and they like the "gravy" that that will make.

Fussy fussy cats!! yeh, it's time for them to start eating healthier, and less

If I have to do it, damnit so do they! LOL

seriously, though, we all need to eat better and lose weight

I think what I'll do is give them one can of FF or FF-type food, split between the 3 of them, each day, so they have that one really tasty thing to satisfy them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.