Welp I'm back

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jill and Noah, Aug 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jill and Noah

Jill and Noah New Member

Greetings! Its been a while, nine years I think. I used to be here as Luke's Mom. My beloved boy passed in the fall of 2009 after living with DM for 8 years.

I'm back with Noah who is approximately 14 years old. He was diagnosed with lymphoma not quite a year ago and in the process of the steroid treatment he also became a sugar cat. We changed to budesonide but he remains diabetic at this time. Long story longer he's a sweet cat, amazingly chill until you try to do anything to him and then he becomes rather resistant, yippee. I just threw Luke's vacutainer lancet devices away not six months ago. I was always jealous of those of you doing the free hand and figured I'd learn how if I ever had another cat with diabetes. I'm already ruing the day I had the bright idea to attempt to organize my medicine cupboard and get rid of my ear stick crutch!

I'm going to have to get myself up to speed. My last experience was with PZI and the One Touch Ultra glucometer. I already made the mistake of rolling the Lantus vial this morning prior to giving him his first dose. Oh well live and learn. I have also researched the 28 day shelf-life and have not found one journal article indicating it loses efficacy that quickly so I plan to use it until it looks funky or his numbers indicate it isn't working.

Thanks in advance for the information I'm about to learn from your experiences. Best, Jill

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome back to the board Jill. And welcome to Noah also. I'm sorry you are repeating the experience, but as you know it's the best place you never wanted to be. There is probably new information now, about diabetes in general and about Lantus. Re: rolling the Lantus, when we got the dx, the vet and vet tech told us to roll and showed us how! And then I got the vial and read the directions. I have read that with proper storage in fridge and handling Lantus can last up to 6 months. :confused:
    To begin, why don't you create a new signature so that members can see what's all about Noah. And then get the spreadsheet going to track those testing numbers and shots. If you don't remember how, here are links to both:

Signature
    Spreadsheet

Take a look at the information in the Lantus forum, in the "stickies" at the top of the forum. That will really help you get up to speed, and be sure to post questions there. I used Lantus for a little bit, and the members there were informative, supportive and walked me through my totally newbie and "in spite of myself"experience that led to a quick remission. I look forward to a picture of Noah and getting to know more about both of you.

Jill and Noah likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.