We're baaaaaaack....

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by AndreaM, Feb 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndreaM

AndreaM Member

Hi Everyone,

Hoping this is a brief stop here. Schroeder has been OTJ for almost 2 years. I've brought him into remission twice with the amazing guidance from this forum. I've noticed Schroeder drinking more and more water over the last month, he appears to have lost weight and his energy is down. Appetite is waning. He has been eating mainly wet food, but I free feed my 2 cats Evo Dry cuz Schroeder is always a little underweight and needs all the calories he can get. Kane always ends up eating Schroeder's wet food while I'm at work... I'm looking forward to spring when I can toss Kane outside for the day and Schroeder can eat in peace!
    Down to brass tacks.... On Jan.6 - 203. Took him off the Evo dry and got him to 123. Went to Mexico, so told caretakers they could leave down the dry during the day. Schroeder hasnt seemed quite right over the last couple days and sure enough he was 422 this afternoon (fed).

Another peice of the puzzle is Schroeder's kidney's are underfunctioning a bit and his poops are petrified. Had to take him to the vet before Christmas for an enima. Since then I have been sprinkling 1/8 tsp Restoralax over his wet food, which has helped immensely to soften his bowels, but it may be putting extra strain on the kidneys.

Time for Levemir? Should I take up the dry for another week and keep testing? I know the numbers can go really wonkey if they are fighting an illness or infection, and then correct themselves. Thoughts?

Thanks everyone. :)

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

I would start a tiny dose of the Levemir, in case there is something preventing the pancreas from kicking in properly.

I think I already gave you the Feline Constipation web site.

3. AndreaM

AndreaM Member

Thanks for the information! I have him on 2 units of VERY OLD Lev right now that I'm quite sure is inert. Picking up new stuff from a fellow forum member on Saturday, so I'll drop the dose to 1U?

Schroeder went for all his tests yesterday. I'll pick up the report on Saturday, but so far the vet doesn't think his kidney numbers are too bad. Slightly elevated, but not what we expected. Going to put him on a general antibiotic as it is likely that Schroeder as periodontal disease. He has the teeth of a Brit! They do need cleaning. So, he's likely dealing with infection that could spark the diabetes. However, I have to get him eating more and the doc suggested a med that increases appetite, which could be good to get him going again.

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Once any infection is resolved, he may go back down.

A tip I got from an RN is to use distilled water for drinking and cooking. This reduces the amount of solute the kidneys have to process and may help protect them. (Also may be good for reducing blood pressure in humans)

5. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

I sure hope Schroeder's high BGs are a temporary thing. The dental issues coupled with fry food could be causing it.

If you get new lev you might want to start at .5u. Especially if you aren't feeding dry any longer. What are his numbers currently? Can you ditch the dry altogether? It is probably adding to his issues both from the stand point of diabetes and his kidney function since it dehydrates just in being processed in a "healthy" cat, let alone one that has increased urination from diabetes. Those blood test results showing some kidney decline can just be reflecting a state of moderate dehydration. And, of course, the dry can add to the constipation issues because of the dehydration.

I would ask about using subq fluids until he gets back to health. They can have a dramatic effect on things including constipation. Cats just don't drink enough when they get dehydrated. Also, look into using Miralax, or its generic, added to food to soften stool. Just an 1/8 tsp twice a day to start.

Try to encourage him to eat more wet food. Some canned foods have more fat, like Wellness and, I think, one of the Blue Buffalo ones. That would offer more calories - as long as he isn't prone to pancreatitis, which can make a higher fat diet problematic . Maybe offer boiled chicken meat as a snack after testing to get some more food into him. You can sprinkle Parmesan cheese over food and most cats will eat more because they are enticed by the smell. Also, seems obvious, but has he been tested for hyperthyroid?

6. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Allegedly, the food's fat content for a pancreatitis cat diet doesn't have much impact. You'll have to find out if that is true for your cat.

7. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Yeah, I have not found a correlation between diet fat and flare ups with Beau, but I know Vicky said that Gandalf had flareups when he was on a higher fat food, so I always opt for putting that out there just in case. But it is just as likely that other diet ingredients cause issues with certain cats, like dried egg product. That is one Beau has trouble with. So did Jeddie. I just avoid it for all of mine now.

8. AndreaM

AndreaM Member

Distilled water, hey? Makes sense I guess. Can't hurt to try.

I feed Schroeder the Evo dry because he is a grazer with his wet food, and I have another cat who often swoops in and eats both bowls... I can't keep a handle on how much Schroeder is getting to eat when I am at work all day. He tends to be on the skinny side, so my priority is to make sure he is getting enough calories into him and Evo is great for that. But I put down wet food twice a day and it is mixed well with water (also cuts down on the calories going in b/c of the dilution). This has been especially important when he's on insulin, should his numbers dive too low, I have to know he'll have something to eat if I'm at work or out.

Schroeder is also on Restoralax daily. I mix it in his food, so again, sometimes he gets it all and sometime my other cat is the beneficiary... Will pick up some psyllium fibre which will help retain the water in his bowels.

BG was a whopping 572 this morning, this is the highest so far. Gave him 1.5 units of the lev and will try to test for his nadir which used to be in around hour 7. That said, his appetite seems to be back, so that's good news. Started him on a course of antibiotics for 2 weeks as well. Now I have to save up my pennies for the dental work... too much money! But my little lemon is worth it.

9. AndreaM

AndreaM Member

Not tested for hyperthyroid which was a suggestion for the next batch of tests should his numbers not come down.

10. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

HyperT won't directly effect his BGs - and vice versa. But HyperT is one more thing that upsets the balance, cause PU/PD, increases dehydration, can cause nausea and vomiting, increases metabolism (of course) so increases weight loss. Therefore it puts a stress on the body and might knock an OTJ cat out of remission.

Hopefully the fresh lev will help. Wish there was some way you could get him off dry food. Any where you can put a bowl where Kane can't get it? Also, maybe don't add much water to the wet food so he gets more calories. That is something I think I did wrong with my cats. Beau was lapping up the water and not eating the food much. I have stopped adding water and encourage him to eat as much as possible. Beau is very thin (and has many other health issues on top of being back on insulin).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.