We're back... unfortunately.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Aly & Sparky, Feb 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aly & Sparky

Aly & Sparky Member

Firstly, I want to say hi to any old members here that remember us.

It's been five years since Sparky went into remission.

Last night, I noticed that Sparky was looking thin. His breath smelled bad. Then I heard him go into the litter box and pee the longest pee.

I'm a veteran at this. I know it's back. I'm going this morning to the pharmacy to buy some test strips and keto sticks, but I already know what they will say. I know Sparky well. I've seen this before.

Even though I know I have the information and know how to handle this, I already feel emotionally drained. He's older now, and I don't recall ever hearing about a cat going into remission twice. I'm really really bummed.

I'll post his numbers later this morning after I get a good reading. I can't thank this board enough for the support I got so many years ago, and I look to you all now again for the strength to go through this all again. Welcome back into my life, FDMB.

UPDATE: after getting the strips I have come to find that my trusty five year old OneTouch is not working. I'm not having a good morning!

2. Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA

Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA Member

Hi Alyson! Sorry you're back, but it's good to hear from you.

Probably the biggest change you'll find is in insulins. Many cats are now on Lantus or Levemir. There's a new PZI called ProZinc that seems to be working well, too. Check out all the stickies in the insulin group forums for info on them. And of course, get Sparky checked out with an exam and cbc/chem with a thyroid level, and have his teeth looked at (I know you know this, but just reminding you!).

And as for kitties going into remission more than once... I know there are some. Fletcher's back off insulin for the 4th time now-- even with acromegaly-- and I'm sure there are others (Jill's Alex comes to mind right now). You know what to do for your boy and will get him feeling better in no time.

cat_pet_icon

3. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Hi to Aly and Spark. I think the only thing wrong with your OT is the battery and you can always find them at Radio Shack if not Walmart.

4. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Welcome back Aly. Feel better soon Sparky.

5. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

Quirk's first honeymoon lasted just short of 4 years. He did go into remission again, the second time on Lantus.

6. Aly & Sparky

Aly & Sparky Member

Thanks, it's good to know that some do go back off the juice!

I stocked up on supplies and put a call in to the vet. It's nice to see some familiar faces around here :) Testing Sparky tonight with my new gear, feels like years since I did this though! (OMG wait, it HAS been years....)

Thanks for the info on the newer insulins. I will def read up on this!

7. Sweetgrass & the Furries

Sweetgrass & the Furries Member

HI :)
    I am sorry for the reasons hy, but happy to see you here :)

8. Aly & Sparky

Aly & Sparky Member

Okay, so I was surprised for his BG to be a wonderful 89. I have been testing him regularly the past few days, and nothing!

So now my question... is there something else that can be causing the excessive peeing or do you think I am being paranoid? I'm going to set up a vet visit soon just to be sure but I'm so baffled, it seemed like most of his symptoms had returned, the peeing, the bad breath, the dandruff...

9. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Glad his bg was great!

could be kidneys or hyperthyroid......

10. Suzanne + Nemo (GA)

Suzanne + Nemo (GA) Member

I remember you Aly. Sorry Sparky's remission didn't last. But I'm here to tell you a second remission is possible - Nemo did it in 2005, and he's still OTJ and going strong at age 18!

A lot has changed in these years - I would check out insulins like Lantus and Levemir for Sparky. My new kitty Mel went OTJ on Levemir in a little under six months.

11. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

You can also read about recent remissions on PZI and ProZinc here:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/view ... =24&t=5659

I'm not sure everything that may be going on with Nemo so I will not advocate any one insulin over another for you guys.

12. KarenRamboConan

KarenRamboConan Senior Member Moderator

Welcome back, and glad you don't need to do the sugar dance again! (Altho' if you would have needed to climb back on the roller coaster, I know you would have done well. And lots of cats had multiple remissions, so... just in case ;-) )

As for the weight loss, dandruff, and peeing, both HyperT and CRF/CKD are the other two most common causes of that. Blood tests definitely needed.

Fingers crossed!

13. Aly & Sparky

Aly & Sparky Member

Thanks guys :) I'll call the vet on Monday and set him up to get some blood work done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.