We're back! With long questions!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by kathysammy, Aug 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kathysammy

kathysammy New Member

Hello all! You may not remember us, but Sam was diagnosed in 2007 and has been diet controlled for the second time since March 2009. I haven't been on FDMB much since work keeps me so busy.

I am back because Sammy has been having some stomach problems and has lost a lot of weight. A new vet (regular one on vacation) reccomended some blood work for a specialized intestinal panel. The results came back last Friday and 3 of 4 values are abnormal. The vet said that it was most likely a lower intestines inflamation. I don't have the actual tests results in my hand yet, but the new vet reccomended prednisolone 5 mg BID for 2 weeks, and then a pattern of reducing the dose every 2 weeks until Sammy is back off the steroids. He did this and I accepted and followed the reccomendation even knowing that it would probably put him back on insulin again. He was in such bad shape that we had to do something, anything, to make him feel better again. The good news is that he is MUCH better already!

So Sam got his first dose of prednisolone Friday evening and has been receving the reccomended dosage for 3 days now. His BG was 79 last week before the vet visit. I haven't figured out how to access the spreadsheet we used to keep, but the test results are drifting up with a 197 this morning. In another few days, if he crosses the renal threshold the vet will probably put him back on insulin.

Now for my big question: Vetsulin or something newer and better??? I have 8 little unopened bottles of Vetsulin, left from when he was last on insulin 18 months ago, They have been in my frig all this time because I bought a box of 10 little bottles and could not bring myself to throw them away. The last two times, Sammy has become diet controlled in 2-3 months each time. Do I need to invest in new insulin? If the answer to that question is yes, which one comes most highly reccomended? Sammy is a micro-dose kitty. It doesn't take much to get his BG back to normal again. His last dosage was .2 u last time.

I appreciate everyone's suggestions. Please let me know what you think!

2. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

since he is a micro-dose kitty and you have insulin ~all-be it 18 mo old - maybe go ahead and try the vetsulin.

That said -- I am using Levemir for my two diabetics (adopted) and they each get 0.25u BID.

3. kathysammy

kathysammy New Member

Just did his PM test = 280!!! We will definitely be looking at insulin tomorrow, since we can't stop the prednisolone. Still interested in everyone's input about the insulin.

BTW, did I mention how smart Sam is? He assoicates the testing with feeling better and after 3 days is already jumping up to the testing spot before morning and evening meals. We are doing test-feed-pill and the pattern must feel familiar to him!

4. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

If I were you, I would get some new insulin. With Vetsulin's quality control problems and the age of the insulin, you could waste time with old ineffective insulin. I haven't been to the supply closet lately, but sometimes there is someone who wants to split an order on that forum.

If you go to the insulin support groups and check out the stickies, you will be able to see how each insulin works and how people like it. The most popular insulins are Lantus, Levemir and PZI. They all work a little differently.

5. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Hi sorry that you've had to come back.

It sounds as if the insulin was manufactured before the warning on it (you can read about it in the Caninsulin/Vetsulin forum sticky list)

The only thing I would say is that Vetsulin has a shelf life of 2 years-is there a manufacturer date on it?
    Or you can try and see if you get the kind of results your expecting-it is obviously a shame if you have to bin it cost wise.

Lantus/Lev seem to have the best results and research done on them (so could be why they come out best, but also the largest isg's on the board which says something along with how many get OTJ)

If you think/hope this is going to be a short lived need for insulin, look and advertse on supply closet and see if someone would be prepared to sell you one vial 3ml of Lev/Lan (works out cheaper to buy 5x 3ml bottles than the 10ml because of the longevity of the insulin)

I'm guessing your vetsulin is in 10ml vials?

Oh and both Lev/Lan are u100 insulins so if you don't use u100 syringes alreay and convert you would need to get these too.

Good luck, hope his treatment only needs to be brief. :mrgreen:

6. Emmy & Dude

Emmy & Dude Well-Known Member

Hi - and welcome back. Sorry you came back because Sammy's feeling badly.

I have never used the vetsulin - but if you have to buy new, I would try either Lantus or Levemir. Many people have had great success with Lantus - I tried it and preferred Levemir only because it's not quite as "touchy" as the Lantus and with both Bob and I giving shots, sometimes the insulin isn't handled extremely gently. Both are dosed about the same and seem to have pretty much the same results.

That being said, as you know from our meeting and talks at the PNR, Dude is difficult to regulate - he has a mind of his own and I think he is enjoying the sugar dance - he seems to be. (Only kidding of course.)

They are really smart - Dude comes and sits by his testing kit and stares at me when it's within about 30 minutes of a test or a shot - and if he's very low, he starts his "meezer warbling." Then again, Mittsi sits there with him so it COULD be the bite of chicken they get.

Hope that Sammy is not back on the insulin for long - hopefully he can once again go OTJ. Keep us posted.

Good luck.

Hugs,

Emmy & Dude (& Mittsi too)

7. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

I started Shadoe on Caninsulin which did nothing for her. I switched to Lantus which worked better but switched her again to Lev when she tested positive for acro. I adopted Oliver and he was getting Lantus, but I switched him to Lev as well. I am quite happy with Lev for both of them

8. Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout

Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout Well-Known Member

I would want a more definitive diagnosis than that. I would ask the vet to specifically rule out lymphoma, which may be more difficult since he's already been started on steroids.

9. cjleo

cjleo Member

Kathy,

What is the expiration date on the Vetsulin? You may not be giving him insulin for very long, and it would be a shame to waste good insulin that work for Sammy in the past. Like others on the board, I use Lantus and have had good results. But you had good results with Vetsulin.

When you taper the Pred down, the blood sugars should drop back into normal range. At least, that is what I have experienced as a human diabetic who did a 3 week pred treatment twice over a 5 year period. I needed to triple my insulin dose and then taper it back down.

As long as you are home testing, go ahead and try the Vetsulin. You'll quickly know whether it is working. Start low and go slow is the old rule of thumb.

Good luck,

Claudia

10. housecats4

housecats4 Well-Known Member

Angels and Prayers and ton of beautiful green healing light coming for a quick recovery Glad Sammie is feel better it is a good sign Kath

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.