We're new...and overwhelmed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jeffysmom, Oct 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeffysmom

Jeffysmom New Member

Hey everyone. My sweet boy Jeffy (9 yr old) received the dreadful diabetes diagnosis Monday October 3, 2016. I had noticed him drinking a lot of water and urinating more frequently. So vet confirmed my fears, and sent me home with Vetsulin and Purina DM dry cat food. I'm so overwelmed!!! Jeffy hates his shots, and doesn't understand why his momma is hurting him. He seems down, and so am I. We didn't get much info from the vet, and I'm so glad I found this site. I've learned so much just this week, and realized I definitely did not ask the vet enough questions. I've had several emotional breakdowns this week. Silly I know, but it terrifies me that my big boy is going through this and may have a shortened life. My husband thinks I'm crazy and obsessing. Honestly I need some support and encouragement.

2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB the best place you never wanted to be. The first thing you need to do is take some really deep breathes because you will get all the help and support you need here to deal with Jeffy's diabetes and give him a long, happy and healthy life. We have cats here that have been diabetic for 10 years+ so there is no reason to think his life will be shortened. With proper care, Jeffy can live a full, quality life!

The diagnosis can be scary and we've all been where you are now. Shocked, overwhelmed, feeling ill-equipped with knowledge/info from our vets etc. And don't beat yourself up about not asking the "right" questions. How would you know what to ask when you are standing there in shock trying to process the diagnosis?:) We can help you look after Jeffy in the best way possible and get him feeling better. And if all you need is an "ear" to listen to some frustration, we offer that too because I don't think there are many of us here who have not shed a few tears from time to time especially at the beginning of this journey.

I'm sure you have a million questions swimming around in your head now that you've had time to think about things and read a bit, so join us over in the Health Forum HERE and ask away. The only silly questions here are the ones that don't get asked. :bighug:

3. Jeffysmom

Jeffysmom New Member

Thank you so much. Today has been much better actually. Jeffy seems happier, but his sugars are still high. I'm doing a curve today, so I hope to get some more info on the health board. :bookworm:

Critter Mom and MrWorfMen's Mom like this.
  4. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

You are getting started right. Testing at home before feeding and giving his shot is the most important thing you can do to keep him safe. Take time to read as much as possible. This board has so much to offer. Don't hesitate to ask lots of questions. Welcome to the board.

5. yukon25

yukon25 Member

Welcome! I don't know much yet, but one thing I can say already is this board and all the members make diabetes a lot less scary and frightening. This place is awesome.

Where are you giving the shots? My vet shaved off areas on Hootie's side but he was flinching and crying when I'd give him his first few shots. I found a great video on how to do it and discovered those shaved places are too far back, I was hitting muscle. I immediately switched to the scruff of the neck and he doesn't put up a fight at all now, no flinching, no crying - he lays down and purrs.

6. AlisonRiley

AlisonRiley Member

You've come to the right place! I cannot tell you how helpful this community is with any questions you have.

I also give shots in the scruff area, more by the shoulder blades. I lucked out that both of my diabetic cats take shots well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.