We're new here!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by William's Mom, Jun 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. William's Mom

William's Mom Member

Hi all. I've been haunting this message board for a while now without posting, but I thought it was time I get a little community going. My boy, William (7 y/o), was diagnosed with diabetes about 6 weeks ago. I'd been to two vets repeatedly trying to get a diagnosis of SOMETHING since january. Turns out, looks like he has pancreatitis and that he had that before he developed diabetes, plus he seems to have GI problems, as well. He was started on ProZinc by my very lovely and gentle and not informed enough for my taste vet. I've since seen another cat-o-phile vet who switched us to Lantus a few days ago after a month on ProZinc, and has given my a slew of supplemental therapies for him (sq fluids, B12 shots, pain meds, pre and probiotics, blah, blah, blah). I'm comfortable with all of those things, but William will not let another type of needle go into him (he's got some PTSD going on), so we kind of can't do the the things that would most benefit him (SQ and B12 injections).
    William is a good eater (switched to Purina DM from dry- he won't eat the more affordable stuff :/ ), his bg remains often higher than what I'd like to see, but since we're staring a new insulin, I expect to see some ugly numbers before we up the dosage and find a happy place. I test at home as often as I can without deflating his spirit. He's being a pretty good sport, but he's a sensitive boy and this stuff is getting to him (I had a very beloved girl who died young two years ago of liver disease and other mysteries, and she would let me do anything without holding it against me) I started using a Contour Next EZ, but the numbers were 40-60+ points off and I couldn't handle having to guess at his numbers this early in the game, so I have been using the Alphatrak 2, which is hurting my budget, but for the time being, that's the deal. Maybe once I feel like we have things under control a bit more, I'll feel comfortable to switch back to a human meter.
    There's probably more, but I think that's enough of a "hello".
    Thank you so much for being here!!!!

Kate and Kloever likes this.
  2. Kate and Kloever

Kate and Kloever Member

Welcome!!! I just joined this group Friday!!! And I believe wholeheartedly that @BJM saved my cat's life!!!! I'm sure she'll chime in and help!!! I'm not anywhere near knowledgeable enough to comment...but I will keep you and your sweet kitty in my thoughts and prayers!!! Good luck!!! :)

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB.
    Please see my signature link Glucometer Notes for some feline-specific reference numbers for various meter types. There's no need to convert numbers - just use the relevant reference numbers.

4. William's Mom

William's Mom Member

Thank you both for the responses. I know the Relion is a popular and economical meter, so I'll get one of those, too. I'm just a bit overwhelmed. I feel like I've been doing so much pricking and poking and nothing seems to be getting better.

5. Lorraine Edwards

Lorraine Edwards Member

Welcome to this great fur baby community, you are definitely in the right place

6. Mogmom and Goofus

Mogmom and Goofus Well-Known Member

Welcome! I use the AlphaTrak meter with Freestyle Lite test strips. They're made by the same company, Abbott Labs. I cross tested the FS with the AT2 strips for a couple of weeks, the numbers ran so close every time. If you type Freestyle into the search you'll see posts of others doing the same. The FS strips cost HALF as much as the AT.

One month wasn't a very long time to try an insulin, it takes a couple of weeks just for the kitty's body to learn what to do with the insulin. As for food, I have some very fussy cats, I buy Evo brand. The dry is only 8 carbs and my cats love it. I also buy the canned variety, I was actually able to switch my sugar baby solely to it, it's like 2 carbs (est). Any canned food before caused vomitting every time. It's much more affordable than the prescription food and actually better for them.

7. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome! :bighug:

8. William's Mom

William's Mom Member

@Mogmom and Goofus I had heard about the freestyle lite strips with the Alphatrak, so I'll definitely try that. These last couple of months have been so expensive!!! Just now have gotten to a place where we might be able to test, reload and test again.
    I know that that's a quick insulin switch and it made me a little nervous, but both vets had said they preferred it if only for the chance of remission, so I went with it. Also, he seemed to be having what looked like an allergic skin reaction in the areas where I shot him white prozinc, so it seemed like a good thing to try something else.
    I'm going to try and play around with food choices. I have fed dry evo and now use it as treats, but it's good to know that, even if it's not optimum, that it won't be a massive carb load. William was a dry food junkie up until about 3 months ago when I started making the switch and is so picky about it that i have to be careful or he doesn't get enough calories, but believe me, I wish he would just gobble up the easy to get, easier to afford stuff. It's a steep learning curve, but I'm on board!
    It's so wonderful to have this support. I'm really grateful.

Mogmom and Goofus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.