Weruva cat food

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jezebel, May 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jezebel

Jezebel Member

I found this food at my local pet store...so wrote the company about the carb content. This was the reply I received from the President of the company....
    Debie & Jez

Hello Debie and Jez,
    Thank you for the email to Weruva/BFF and support of our products. With diabetes, you are certainly on track looking for low carb alternatives. Diabetes is caused by the body’s inability to produce the requisite insulin that can properly balance blood sugar levels. Though some cats may have a genetic predisposition to diabetes, the key to preventing diabetes is limiting carbohydrate intake. Carbohydrates are made of sugars, and carbohydrates are primarily found in dry kibble foods. Eliminating dry kibble will help with this issue.
    All of Weruva's and BFF's formulas are suitable for cats with diabetes.
    Weruva’s formulas have very low carbohydrate content, ranging from 1-3%, depending upon the formula. BFF's carbs are around 1%. With regard to our foods, they are formulated for the "obligate carnivore" cat. Cats, whether kittens or seniors healthy or otherwise, require, or are “obliged” to, eat a meat based diet. Meat contains limited to no carbs.
    Weruva Formulas in aspic – There are 5 formulas in this category, and they are all fish based. The only carbohydrates present in Polynesian BBQ, Outback Grill, Asian Fusion and Mack & Jack are those present in the vegetable gums (locust bean, guar carrageenan) used to thicken the formula. There is about 1% vegetable gum in the formula, meaning, there should be less than 1% carbohydrates. The same is true for the BFF aspic formulas. The other formula in this category is Marbella Paella. This flavor adds rice at about 2% of the formula. As rice is comprised of other things besides carbohydrates, the carbohydrate content is less than 2% in these formulas, around 2% max.
    Formulas in Gravy – The remaining 11 formulas are in gravy. We use potato starch to thicken the gravy. The potato starch is about 1% of the formula, and as the starch contains other contents besides carbohydrates, there will be less than 1% carbs coming from the starch in the formula. Mideast Feast, Paw Lickin’ Chicken and Nine Liver have nothing else added besides the meat. The same is for the BFF formulas in gravy. Their carb content will be around 1% max. There are some formulas that have vegetables that will slide the carb count up a touch (Peking Ducken, Green Eggs & Chicken, Meow Luau). Steak Frites, Grandma’s Chicken soup and Mediterranean Harvest have some vegetables and also add a few potato cubes. The potato cubes can easily be removed, but when included, the carb count in these formulas in 1-2%. On The Cat Wok and Funky Chunky include rice, and they would max out around 2%.
    Future production runs will eliminate the rice in the above.
    I hope this is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions.
    Best Regards,
    President and co-founder
    Weruva Because Weluvya!
    646-201-9404
    Fax: 646-688-6865
    http://www.weruva.com

2. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Seems like a generic letter they send out to anyone who requests info about the food. I got one of those when the food was put on the market a few years back and I think someone else posted a similar company response not too long ago.

The only Weruva varieties I fed was Mack and Jack and Paw Lickin Chicken. The Paw Licken Chicken on occasion did raise bg levels so I'm guessing it's a little over 10% carbs.

3. Jezebel

Jezebel Member

Thanks....Jez likes Mack & Jack and Asian Fusion.
    D

4. stefani&toonces

stefani&toonces Member

I dunno so much about that.

My babies (civvies) ADORE Paw Lickin Chicken, but the can is about 1/8th juice, which looks very potato-starchy. I don't buy the 1 percent thing. I always worry about the potato starch in it.

But, they adore it, and they are doing fine.

5. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.