Wet food advice please

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Schmill, Oct 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Schmill

Schmill Member

We have the figures, just need to make a decision.

Dusty is around 3kg and quite skinny, so we want to help her gain weight.
    If you take a look at her SS (see signature) we have a "Food Data (Wet)" sheet.
    It has identified a number of low carb foods (I think we are right in that a good range is 4 to 6, rather than super low?) but taking into account her weight I was after some advice.

I am looking at the "Natures Menu Adult Cat Food (Chicken with Turkey) (12pk x 100g)" and the "Applaws Chicken Cat Food Pouch / tin 70g", which have 5.8% and 4.5% calories from carbs respectively.
    HOWEVER the "Nature's Menu" food has 95.9 calories total per 100g whereas the "Applaws" has only 54 calories total per 100g.

Am I right to think that even though it had slightly higher "calories from carbs %", the higher "total calories / 100g" of the Nature's Menu would be better for a low weight cat like Dusty?

Thanks!

2. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hi,

The 5.8% and 4.5% carb content are pretty similar in range (it's not like one is 9% and other is 2% or whatever). So in terms of carb content both are fine. The Applaws foods are often low in fat so I wonder if that's what the difference is? And/or does it have higher protein or water content than the Nature's Menu?
    If Dusty is skinny then the higher calorie food is likely to be a better bet for her (if she will eat it, of course... ;) ) And, personally, I wouldn't worry that it has a slightly higher carb content than the Applaws.

Edited to add: Just a thought... Do check that the Applaws you're considering is a complete food, some are complimentary/supplementary foods.

Eliz

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  3. Schmill

Schmill Member

Hi Eliz,

Been looking though all this this morning, and crunching more numbers! What you said about "complete" vs "complimentary" food was a very good point, it wasn't terms we had come across before, but when we noticed it is did make a big difference (to the extent that we ruled out the Applaws since cutting out all the added vitamins and minerals etc. that "complete" foods have did not seem like a good idea).

Decided that (based on the data in our sheet and availability) we are going to get:

Asda Tiger Chicken Cat Treat Sticks (for both cats)
    Natures Menu Chicken & Turkey as the main "wet" food to try and transition to from the RC Digest Sensitive.

We are also going to try and transition our other cat ("Scamp") onto Asda Tiger Meat in Gravy, since it is lower in carbs than what he is currently on, (which will be useful if dusty sneaks off and munches some of his food!)

4. Diana&Tom

Diana&Tom Well-Known Member

Yes, do read food labels carefully. What might seem a "good" food at first glance can not infrequently be a "complementary" food, and if it's one that your cat particularly likes you may need to add a supplement to bring it up to "complete" levels. Cats need vitamins and minerals like we do, and they must also have taurine for good heart and eyesight health, so look out for this on the ingredients listed too... if it's not listed, it only contains whatever natural taurine may be present in the meat and if meat content is low, it may not contain enough taurine. Factory processing at high heat can also destroy some nutrients.

Nature's Menu is a good choice. That's what I feed my civie and she's fine with it (touch wood). They do beef and fish varieties too - not quite so good as the poultry one but ok occasionally. NM Country Hunter range is good too, to mix things up a bit. As for treats, I'm not familiar with the ones you mention but Thrive freeze-dried treats are always welcomed (especially by me when they're on special offer, otherwise rather pricey!)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    Schmill likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.