? Wet food diet and loose stools

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by nfcatlady44, May 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nfcatlady44

nfcatlady44 Member

My kitty is strictly on the Fancy Feast Classic diet (for almost a week now), along with occasional freeze dried treats and bonito flakes. He's been OTJ for 5 days now. His poop is always like soft serve ice cream every time I check it, and it hasn't started bulking up yet. It's also usually a small amount, like 1-1/2 to 2 tablespoons. Is this cause for concern? What should I give him for this, if anything? Does it just take a while for his system to get used to all wet food and no dry any more?

2. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

The cessation of the insulin treatment might affect his digestive system. Keep an eye on the colour of the bowel motions; if they get paler that could be a pointer to possible pancreas niggles.

You could check with your vet about giving a little canned plain pumpkin to see whether that might firm up Mr Black's stools a little. Start with just a tiny, tiny amount to see if it agrees with him first. More info on feline GI tract at:

www.felineconstipation.org

Mogs

nfcatlady44 likes this.
  3. Critter Mom

Lovely piccie of Mr Black, BTW. Does he have a little white patch on his chest?

Mogs

4. Misterbeesmom

Misterbeesmom Well-Known Member

So this is a new food for him, i assume? Maybe his body is just getting used to it? If he went from 100% kibble to 100% wet, well thats a big difference in terms of ingredients as well as moisture. Any food changes can throw off digestion a bit. Does kitty act fine in all other ways?

What a handsome fella!

nfcatlady44 and Critter Mom like this.
  5. scoobydoox

scoobydoox Member

Critter Mom likes this.
  6. Catticus Maximus

Catticus Maximus Member

I don't feed fishy food often, and would usually limit it to a snack rather than a meal. I noticed on the occasion I did feed it as a meal, Maximus would have softer stool. Could it be a particular flavor that doesn't agree with him?

7. nfcatlady44

nfcatlady44 Member

Thank you! Yea, he's more of a "tuxedo" kitty. Should have called him Mr. Tuxedo, lol.

8. Critter Mom

I thought I saw a little bit of white peeping up there! Saoirse has similar, plus two other white patches on her tum. Her brother, Amadán (sadly no longer with me), was a full tuxedo.

Mogs

nfcatlady44 likes this.
  9. Misterbeesmom

i'm partial to tuxies, myself ;)

Critter Mom and nfcatlady44 like this.
  10. nfcatlady44

nfcatlady44 Member

Thank you! He was on both wet and dry all his life till about a week ago, with less and less dry after diagnosis 3 mo ago. He's very kittenlike again since I changed to all wet, so sweet and cute! This diet change is really an eye-opener, for sure.

11. Jan Radar (GA)

Jan Radar (GA) Well-Known Member

Good to hear that Mr Black is so happy with his diet change. :cat: A happy kitty = happy people in my experience. When we started offering Radar meat, he perked right up and started stalking the refrigerator. Whenever the refrigerator door opened, he was there to check for the possibilities of meat appearing in his bowl. We had no idea of the true impact of meat in a carnivore until we watched our little one transform.

12. Critter Mom

You should start to see a big improvement in his coat condition, too. :) I couldn't get over the difference in Saoirse's coat after changing her to a species-appropriate diet.

Mogs

nfcatlady44 likes this.
  13. nfcatlady44

nfcatlady44 Member

He's had dandruff for years, still does, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Critter Mom likes this.
  14. nfcatlady44

nfcatlady44 Member

Help me celebrate Mr. Black's 11th birthday today! He's been with me since kittenhood, and he's a very precious, one-of-a-kind kitty!

15. scoobydoox

scoobydoox Member

Happy Birthday Mr. Black!:cat:

nfcatlady44 likes this.
  16. Misterbeesmom

Happy Birthday Mr Black from me and Mr Biddles!

nfcatlady44 likes this.
  17. Critter Mom

[​IMG]Congratulations on your 11th birthday, Mr Black! [​IMG]

Here's your gizzit! :cat:

[​IMG]

Many happy returns of the day!!

Mogs & Saoirse

nfcatlady44 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.