what all to ask for when i take Smokie to vet

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by maryjoandsmokie, Mar 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maryjoandsmokie

maryjoandsmokie Member

Smokie is a diet controlled diabetic with CRI. She is 15 years old.
    The vet said i should bring her in sometime before long to check her labwork.
    Smokie is very fractious so i want to get every test that needs to be done while i am there.

I am going to ask for: complete labwork again, urinalysis, fecal exam, ananl glands expressed, B/p, x-ray to check the arthritis, eyes examined because she can't see well, teeth checked, SQ pepcid to have on hand at home.
    Can anyone think of anything else? Should i get vet to give some fluids after the labwork is done to replace the blood he took?

Smokie is feeling good. She eats like a pig and her weight seems the same always. she jumps up on chairs. I've been able to get her to drink more water lately.
    I did a USG and it is now 1.030 and it was 1.028 about 2 months ago.
    I wish i didn't have to take her in.

2. Jayne & Sweety

Jayne & Sweety Member

She is diet controlled? - do you hometest? If not, why not see how her BG's have been and throw in a Fructosamine test? and why not make sure she gets her T4 checked?

3. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

Because of her age I'd ask for thyroid tests, both of them.

4. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

What Jayne said - there are two tests - it's the T4 and free T4 (no not free in cost, but it's called free - don't know why) ;-)

5. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

To possibly save money, I would only have the free T4 test performed if the regular T4 was in the questionable range for an older cat. Just make sure that enough blood is drawn to included the free T4. The labs typically save spare blood for such a purpose.

6. maryjoandsmokie

maryjoandsmokie Member

Thanks everyone. You have been soo helpful!

7. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

Maryjo Make sure they do the blood pressure check first. If shes fractious, they will have a better result if they do it first. If shes having vision problems, high bp is important to rule out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.