what am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by emma_and_cherie, Sep 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emma_and_cherie

emma_and_cherie New Member

Hello all, I am not new to FDMB but this is my first post, I am relatively new to lantus. Emma has been diagnosed diabetic for over a year but was on vetsulin until 9/5/14 I started lantus to give Emma a better chance of being more regulated and I am very happy so far her peaks aren't as high and she is more level but I still think that I am missing something, what dose should she be at? I can hardly see the difference between 1/2 units so I don't think that I could do increments of .25! I hope that I shared my spreadsheet right? If any one has any advice I would really appreciate help cause I am starting to get frustrated and feel like I am doing it all wrong! Thank you! https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... cslist_api

2. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Re: what all I don't wrong?

Hi Cherie,

Got a couple quick questions for you. What was Emma's last best dose on Vetsulin? Also it looks like you are using both a Relion and an Alphtrak meter, which one is the readings in your spreadsheet from? Also what is her current diet?

The one thing that does jump out at me right off is that your doing a lot of dose jumping lately. With the depot insulins like Lantus and Levemir consistancy is the key, it wants the same dose given as close to 12/12 as humanly possible. Typically we hold a dose 5 days here because we tend to spot check less frequently than they do in Tight Regulation.

I'm kinda flying in and out right now as I'm doing the morning chores (16 litter boxes, kitty dishes, and general housework..lol) But I will keep an eye out for you and see if we can get your precious Emma straightened out and flying right, just please forgive me if it takes me awhile to get back to you. :D

Mel and The Fur Gang

3. tibbs5

tibbs5 Well-Known Member

just wanted to say welcome Cherie. mel will get you going in the right direction. you're doing a great job. she will explain why you need a consistent dose. welcome.
    nadine & tibbs

4. emma_and_cherie

Emma was last on 4 units of vetsulin but that was not regulating her for more then 4 out of the 12 hour cycle and she was still high in those 4hrs. I use only the relion except on one morning when she was very low according to the relion so I used the alphatrak because I believe the alphatrak to be as reliable as home testing can get but the relion is so much affordable it allows me to test so much more! So all are relion except the one. Emma eats lc ff about 5-7% carbs. My vet wanted me to start at 2 Un but I was too scared to do we started at .5 and raised doses after a few days because I started so low but we increased by .5 Un at a time. Just recently I thought that I was getting decent results at 2 Un and that we were almost there but I worked a lot for several days so I didn't have time to do a curve until Monday 9/22/14 and her numbers were very consistent but too high all day so I thought that bumping her up .5 Un would be great but then I got the very low ps and got scared of hypo so I pulled back and then I got the high number amps and I decided to go back to 2un and start asking for help! There is some variance in units last week because Emma was puking and not eating much for one day and one night but she is over that now. Doses are given at exactly 11.5 - 12 hrs . Honestly hypo scares me I can't leave her and wonder. I am sure I am in a group of people who feel the same way about their feline companions as I do about Emma, she is my love! I appreciate both of your responses so much! I also will be in and out today any help is great appreciated! Thanks, Cherie

5. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Thanks for the clarification. :D Just wanted to make sure what my reference range was when looking at your numbers as a human and a pet only meter are calibrated differently.

One thing to keep in mind when working with either of the L insulins is the dose you just shot isn't the dose they are using during that cycle. Since Lantus is a depot insulin it forms crystals under the skin that have to dissolve before the cat can use them to pull down blood sugar that is why it is so critical to have the dose stay the same, unless things like kitty is sick and not eating well or not keeping food in the tummy because they are vomiting. So you did good there. Hypos are only scary until you've walked through one, but they are something to be vigilant against. And yes, you never want to leave them alone if you think they might be headed into that territory.

Actually she doesn't look all that bad from what I've seen on her spreadsheet. Especially for no longer than she has been on Lantus. My suggestion at this point would be keep her on the 2u for several days and try to get as many spot checks as you can especially in that +5-+7 range so we can see just about where she nadirs, if you can get a full curve in great but if not just a few random spot checks and try to vary the times which will help fill in the picture.

Other than that, keep posting and keep asking questions as I'm sure we will have a few more for you as well as we think of them. :D And we will all put our heads together and see if we can't get her at least regulated for you.

Oh YES!!! They are our furry loves here. Or as I tell people they aren't cats they're tiny people in cheap fur coats. :lol: I promise we will do everything we can to help you help Emma.

Mel, and The Fur Gang (yep all those names in my sig are my furry babies)

6. emma_and_cherie

You are a lucky lady with so many fur babies! I just have Emma and my name is Cherie! I am so glad to meet you and have your help! I can do a curve on Emma either Friday or Sunday which do you think best? And I will keep her at 2 Un! Thank you so much! Cherie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.