What am I doing?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sarah58, Sep 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sarah58

Sarah58 Member

STILL working on the ss, where has my brain gone? Clark was 22.4 +6 today 1.25u. Not eating well, he only wants chicken now, and is turning his nose up at all of the food I have got him, Applaws, Natures Menu.

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Your spreadsheet isn't opening. There's a server error message. If you could open your SS from your signature and then report the error to Google, that may help. Please make sure that you have the permissions set properly first.

There are some "tricks" to helping a cat eat. I don't know if you can get thinks like FortiFlora in the UK, though. Here are the suggestions:

- heating food

sprinkle food with :
    - forta flora -- a probiotic you can get at vets or online. is very smelly and cats love the taste of it.
    - parm. cheese
    - smashed crumbles of dry food
    - bonito tuna flakes
    - freeze dried chicken treats -- crumble into dust over food
    - poor a little water from tuna in water over food ( I use low sodium/no sodium added as other kinds in water has veg. broth in it and I assume that means
    onions, which are toxic to cats-- check labels)
    -powdered oregano. yep sounds weird . but some cats like it and it will entice them to eat.

other ideas of foods to offer your kitty to stim appy:
    - tuna for cats
    - baby food -- beechnut or Gerber turkey and broth or chicken and broth. they have no onions or other additives. some babyfoods have onions . please read
    labels if you can't find beechnut.
    - kentucky fried chicken
    - deli turkey /chicken
    - plain cooked ( boiled or baked ) chicken breast
    - canned chicken for people (watch the label that their are no onions)
    - chicken broth -- low sodium

3. Sarah58

Sarah58 Member

Thank you Sienne, I will try that with the ss, I am making such a mess of it. Also Clark has just had some chicken, but wont touch anything else, I have tried quite a few of the things you mentioned, tuna, dried chicken crumbled on canned food, I am hoping he will get bored with the chicken soon as he is never normally a fussy eater. Do you think I should stick with the 1.25u for a bit longer?
    Sarah

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sarah:

I'm hesitant to say anything about dose without being able to see what's going on with Clark's numbers. Without being able to view Clark's SS, the best I can recommend is that you follow the guidelines in the Tight Regulation sticky.

Have you tried posting in the Tech Support forum to get help with your SS?

Is Clark usually a fussy eater? If not, please keep an eye on him. He may need a vet visit to rule out problems like pancreatitis or even a dental problem that is making eating painful.

5. Sarah58

Sarah58 Member

OK thank you. He is not usally fussy so will see how he is tomorrow and may make a vet appointment.

6. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

The SS link you have in your signature has extra words at the end which is why anyone who clicks on the link gets an error message. The link you have is
    docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_GB&hl=en_GB&key=0ArYhHPSoWc_jdDRUUjNGUzJTOEJzN3NidER6M2R4OXcoutput=htmlClark%27s

There should be nothing after html but you have Clark%27s.

The CORRECT link is https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet..._jdDRUUjNGUzJTOEJzN3NidER6M2R4OXc&output=html

To shorten it in your signature, you can do this:
    Code:
    [url=https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_GB&hl=en_GB&key=0ArYhHPSoWc_jdDRUUjNGUzJTOEJzN3NidER6M2R4OXc&output=html]Clark's SS[/url]

And it will show up as Clark's SS

Are the AMPS of 23 mg/dl on the US bg tab correct? That's really really low for a diabetic. A diabetic with a bg of 23 is hypoglycemic. Did you treat the low number? I see that you did not give any insulin and bgs shot up to 360 an hour later (?) That's an unusually fast rise in an hour.

7. Sarah58

Sarah58 Member

Thanks I will TRY to correct the link, I'm being really dim about this. The numbers are in mmol, I am in England.

8. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

you're not being dim! there is so much to absorb in all of this. we've all been there and found it kinda humbling how difficult it is to understand it all. i recall many times saying "i'm sorry i'm being so dense on this . . . " just keep asking questions and eventually you'll get it.

9. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Is 1.25u your current dose? If so, it belongs in the column labeled "U" -- for units (of insulin).

Are you testing before your give a shot? If so your morning pre-shot test is your AMPS; your PM pre-shot test is your PMPS.

On the template you're using, if you enter the info on the tab at the top labeled "World," you are entering in mmol. The tab for "US" converts the information to the format we use in the US.

If these are the only tests you've got so far, please get a spot check or two during the evening cycle. PM tests are just as important as tests during the AM cycle.

10. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

mmmm, ok, i see what's going on with your ss. looking at the world mmol/L spreadsheet, the units that you shot need to move over one column to the right - to the light blue/green column. that's the column for dosage - the left colored one is for morning dose the right colored one is for evening shot dose. the 1.25 dose is being translated into 23 on the US ss because it's in the preshot number column instead of in the dose column.

to put information in before yesterday's data, you go to the top horizontal row, highlight that row by clicking the left mouse button on it, then go the top where it says "insert." You want to add a row above so you can enter in data from 9/23. then repeat to add in data from 9/22, as far back as you've got it. the patterns on the spreadsheet really show us how Clark is doing and how is body is responding to the insulin. include doses too - they help fill in the picture.

think of it like a jigsaw puzzle. the more pieces you put in, the clearer the picture is for us to understand what clark needs.

11. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

Hi Sarah, welcome to Lantus Land! As Julie says, the greatest place you never wanted to be. :lol: You are doing a great job. There is a lot to figure out and it will take some time. I hope you find something that Clark will eat. That has been a struggle for us too so I know how frustrating that is.
    Liz

12. Sarah58

Sarah58 Member

Oh yes that was wrong, wasnt it, I've tried to correct it, my head is spinning

13. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

I don't think it's right yet.

If you open your SS and look at the columns, you've got the date entered just fine. The next column is your morning test before you give a shot (i.e. AM Pre-Shot or AMPS). The next column is your dose (i.e., 1.25). The columns labeled +# represent how many hours from your shot your are testing. So, a +3 is three hours after you've given an insulin injection. It's the same for the evening cycle.

14. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

Hang in there, Sarah & Clark!

it DOES get easier :D

celi & binks

15. Sarah58

Sarah58 Member

Thank you I am really hoping it does! I had a 429 AMPS and a 409 +2 this morning, so not a good start.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.