? What antibiotics are safe for FD kitties to take?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Madeline528, Jul 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Madeline528

Madeline528 Member

Hi

Layla seems to have teeth decay. I believe she's out of remission. I'm waiting on test results. She was giving Biomax antibiotic. Which as sucrose - its compound that is the chief component of cane or beet sugar. I believe it also is cherry flavored.

Help needed with antibiotics

Thank you Madeline

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I suspect you are talking abut the oral suspension. It ingredients are:
    amoxicillin
    and
    Inactive Ingredients
    Cherry Flavor, Silicon Dioxide NF, FD&C Red #40, Polyoxyethylene-Polyoxypropylene Glycol, Sodium Benzoate, Sodium Citrate, Sodium Saccharin, and Sucrose.
    https://www.drugs.com/vet/biomox-oral-suspension.html
    Since the inactive ingredients are listed in order of how much is present I would not be concerned with the very small amount of sucrose present.
    You could get your vet to prescribe. The inactive ingredients are:
    Inactive Ingredients
    Dibasic Calcium Phosphate Dihydrate, Magnesium Stearate, Microcrystalline Cellulose and Sodium Starch Glycolate.
    https://www.drugs.com/vet/biomox-tablets.html

Just avoid the oral suspensions (liquid) simnc many are made of babies and thus are flavored and include sugar.

Madeline528 likes this.
  3. Madeline528

Madeline528 Member

Hi Thank you! I haven't given Layla the Biomax. She ate much better this morning (almost whole can of fancy feast pate). Also, her AMBG fast was 106 (human) this morning

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Made of babies?

Madeline528 likes this.
  5. Madeline528

Madeline528 Member

Yes! I was given the liquid. I'm waiting to talk to the vet. I haven't gave it to her! I was told Clamox is better antibiotic for the teeth too!! Hopefully, she isn't out of remission. Its just the teeth spiking her BG. I can address them & she back on track. I believe her AMBG of 106 with no insulin is good sign!!! Prayers & positive thoughts:bighug:

6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

What do you mean made of babies??

7. Madeline528

Madeline528 Member

Hi, I think Larry and Kitties, was referring to liquid biomax. Because its flavored cherry its for babies ???

8. Larry and Kitties

Frequently soe manufacturers just repackage human oral antibiotics for pets. For many cases, those are pediatric liquid meds flavored for babies.

Madeline528 likes this.
  9. Madeline528

Madeline528 Member

Hi
    I spoke with the vet yesterday & pharmacist (from manufacture) both said, it's safe for Layla to take & it's not flavored.

I hope it doesn't harm her. She started biomax last night

10. Larry and Kitties

That is inconsistent with the link (and snippet of what it contains) that says the Biomax oral suspension contains sugar (sucrose) and is cherry flovored

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.